“A perfect stay”

Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have been to Kauai probably 5X over the past 15 years. Kauai is not as built-up as Maui or Oahu and because of this, one does not expect the same things.

Ko'a Kea was the best resort I have stayed at on Kauai for the type of vacation I was looking for. Sure, you can go up to Princeville and stay with the Prada crowd, but that polite reserved, uptight thing? I can get that anywhere.

The staff at this resort are remarkable in that they are all completely engaged in your well being. There are no glum ex-Gap employees playing with their iPhones and making you wait. No glazed over looks of contempt that seem so common today within the hospitality industry. Virtually all staff were friendly, warm, genuine and wanting to help you.

The common areas and rooms are spacious, modern and tasteful, but somehow the whole place retains some of the "old Hawaii" feel. Perhaps it is because they re-built over the old footprint of an older Hawaiian resort.

Their restaurant, Red Salt is wonderful as well. Frankly, there isn't much good food to be had on the southside of Kauai in my opinion, but they do a great job and meals were thoughtully prepared and were creative and delicious. The menu could be expanded because when eating at dinner, I found myself getting a bit bored and moved on to other locales. I guess this is normal; I would have done that anyway. The lack of variety on the menu is really the only thing I could think of that could use a little work.

This place isn't cheap, but it is intimate and the staff makes you feel like you are the only guest in the place.

I've stayed at the Hyatt and other more popular places on the southside and Ko'a Kea beats them all. If you have kids and like a big resort - go to the Hyatt... please. It is far more "Disney" and you will have a better time. To me, Ko'a Kea is about relaxing without the reminders of everyday life creeping in to distract you.

Kevin M

Room Tip: It is worth it to upgrade beyond the basic room. Ocean view and ocean front are obviously more expen...
4  Thank Kevin M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,192)

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I booked this hotel with trepidation, as I was traveling solo, was staying there over valentine's day, and it was ranked as the #1 place for honeymooners. I was relieved at check in as the staff was friendly, asked me whether I was enrolled in the preferred program (I forgot) and upgraded me as a result of my membership, without me asking. Everyone was helpful, and very friendly and not in a fake way. They provided great advice on all of my adventure activities, so I spent very little time there during the day. If I had more time I would have loved to take advantage of their lovely, padded chaise lounges around the pool or on the lawn overlooking the ocean.The complimentary valet parking was FAST! I am a pretty independent person, so I had to adjust to all of the assistance offered.
My room was nice and kept clean, having a fridge was great, and I liked the little bottles of FUJI water on ice by the bed when I got home each night. While I would have preferred a room with a bath, I didn't bother to ask for one.
My favorite part was that I didn't have to walk miles just to get to my room, the restaurant, the pool, the beach or anywhere. It was nice and cozy and felt safe and friendly.
Note that there are shops nearby, but I recommend going to the grocery store in town (about a mile away) to avoid the 50% mark up. GREAT STAY!
The restaurant was also very good.

8  Thank Droogy
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed at Koa Kea during our recent trip to three of the Hawaiian Islands. This resort was by far the best place we stayed. The staff makes you feel like you are the most important guest at the resort. The only negative to staying at this resort is it makes all other stops seem inferior. If staying at multiple resorts, make this our last stay or you will be disappointed in the service you get at other resorts.

If you go ask for Cindy, all of her recomendations were excellent.

1  Thank Scott S
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed at Koa Kea for 5 nights and we LOVED IT! This place is small compared to the other resorts in the area, very quiet and calm. If you want the hokey shows and music, stay elsewhere. Our room was clean, well-appointed, shower was excellent, and the ocean view room opened on the lawn with a clear view of the ocean. The staff were extremely professional, welcoming, and warm. From Jim and Mike at the bar, to Sarah at the desk and Paul at the activity booth - everyone gave us A+ advice. The snorkeling right out front was amazing with hundreds of fish and soft rolling waves. Poipu beach park is a short 2 minute walk across the path through the Marriott next door. The drinks poolside or at Red Salt are not to be beat. This is a very classy, neat hotel nearing total perfection. Stay here if you have an eye for detail, want all the comforts and are happy to find Hawaii on your own terms, not have it shoved in front of you all the time. It is pricey, but worth every penny. We look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: ocean view facing east gives you morning sun.
3  Thank cabanaboy21
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Quiet and intimate, first class service, great restaurant right on premises. (Red Salt)
Total paradise, excellent service, great rooms. This is a perfect place to be if you want to chill, have good food close by, relax and have a really peaceful vacation.
If you want to snorkel, helicopter ride, hike then you can be active too.
This place is paradise, truly a great vacation spot.
We loved our 4 days there, only mistake we spent longer in Maui then Kauai, I wish I had booked longer at the koa kea.

Room Tip: Choose rooms right near the jacuzzi, so close and quiet as well. Make sure to be on the lower floor.
2  Thank Debbie W
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We spent the first leg of our honeymoon in Kauai and couldn't have picked a better place. Upon arrival, we were greeted very warmly, given a tour of the resort and escorted to our room. Upon arriving in our room, they had a personalized card welcoming us, along with cold Fiji water and a bottle of champagne. The room was very modern, clean, comfortable and had an incredible view.

First thing we did was kick off our shoes and catch the sunset on the beach, just steps off the resort. This is probably one of the best areas to catch the sunset each night as dozens of people would gather on the beach and boardwalk.

The bartender at the main bar was very friendly, offered us numerous hikes to go on, restaurants to try, pretty much anything we wanted to know. The same for the valets, I've never met nicer people. Each day they would ask if we needed directions, ask if we would like the top up or down on the car, anything you could ask for, they were more than happy to help.

The pool and pool bar are equally as nice as the rest of the resort. Spotless, very friendly service, you name it, you can have it. Of course, you do pay the higher price here, but it's well worth it.

If you're looking for a peaceful spot to get away with amazing service, a fantastic view, and luxury, look no further.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Devereaux412
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at Koa Kea in early February for 4 nights, and it was wonderful. This small resort (around 100 rooms) is quiet, peaceful, and there for your every need without ever being pushy. The rooms are designed beautifully and quite functional as well - good storage space and a spacious bathroom with L'Occitane toiletries.

Plenty of loungers by the pool and on the oceanfront lawn. Pool bar had great drinks, but we wished they had more Hawaiian-style pupus for nibbling. Valet was always super-quick retrieving our car. I had a fantastic Kauai coffee and sugar massage at the resort spa. We only had one breakfast at the restaurant: good food and coffee, and coffee was available to take back to your room as well.

Koa Kea is a nice break from the mega-resorts nearby. Very personable service with grown-up guests.

4  Thank Girllamm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!