“Beautiful local hotel”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful local hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

We spent four nights here, and it was a delightful stay. The service is excellent, and the beach overlook is wonderful. The restaurant (Red Salt) is probably the best on the island. Would definitely stay here again!

The only bad spot is that the mattress was a little too soft.

Room Tip: One tip: definitely pay the extra to get a full ocean view.
5 Thank Simplyluvin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

From when you first arrive and are greeted by a smile from the valet staff this hotel is exceptional. The rooms have every comfort, (Great beds!!) the restaurant, Red Salt, by far the best eating experience we had in Hawaii. The hotel is in a prime location close to great beaches for swimming, snorkelling and surfing. We saw turtles and seals and a great array of tropical fish right out from our hotel.

4 Thank asneddo
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

The hotel is situated in the south of Kauai at Poipu Beach, driving time by car from the airport approx half an hour.

The resort is rather small, well-maintained with approx. 120 rooms. There are 3 buildings arranged in a semi circle, open to the sea. Inside the semi circle there is the swimming pool (could be bigger) with jacuzzi and bar, furthermore a very nice lawn with enough sunloungers.

Valet parking is free, but a resort fee of approx 15 $ is charged.

Reception was friendly, the room (ocean front) was ready although we arrived at noon.
The room is okay, big enough, bright, nice, modern. The setup of the room complied with the category of the hotel. The same also applies to the bathroom.
The balcony is definitely too small with hardly 1,50 wide. The room was with king size bed and I, as I need my own cover, had to ask for an extra duvet. Dean, who accompanied us to the room, settled that request promptly.
The bed itself had a circular wooden frame that was too big for the mattress - a bit inconvienent and not so nice to look at.
There is no sandy beach directly in front of the hotel, only a small patch to go into the water to snorkel or wet your feet. That patch is protected from the sea by stones, behind that stone wall the surfers are bustling around. However, a few steps to the right there is a nice sandy bay for swimmers.

The hotel had problems with the flagged floor inside the semi circle. After a rain shower –which is not a rarity on Kauai- it was very splashy.

Spa: Small gym but well equipped, the massages we had were all good, but the ones with Jimmy were absolutely perfect.

The restaurant RED SALT was disappointing. It is a more or less open space in extension of lobby and bar and extremely loud, conversation at the table was tedious. The service was good, the quality of the food not. The Ono was dry, the king prawns mentioned on the menu nowhere to be seen or tasted, the portions too small. The breakfast buffet also was scanty, hot meals had to be ordered separately and those were very good.

The pool bar also served small dishes, the selection of menu here could be a bit more comprehensive. The service was good, quick and friendly.

We would stay there again.

6 Thank voyager-liese
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

This is the first time I have done a review, and after traveling all around the world and staying in a large number of resorts, this is by far and away the best resort I have stayed in. We had a oceanfront room for our honeymoon, and it was perfect. Hotel isn't too large, so is quiet and peaceful, service is fantastic and the breakfast in red salt was great.
There is a beach in front of the hotel, or a 2 minute walk which is great for swimming and a small shopping complex about 5 minutes walk across the road to buy any supplies or have meals outside of the hotel.
Cindy and Jade at the front desk was also terrific, making us feel very welcome and booking tours and transport for us - not just the standard price, but ringing around and finding us the best value tour.
We will be returning to Kauai and the Koa Kea Hotel & Resort again very soon!

Room Tip: Join the iPrefer program which is free and the rewards program for the hotel, they had special deals...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Stewart P
Aiea, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

I will start by saying I have never found the urge to write a review
before for anything. No matter how good or bad restaurants are or
products and services, I have never felt I wanted to waste my time
with an honest review. However, I am making an exception for Koa Kea,
simply because it was the single best hotel I have been to in my short
life, and they have ruined all other service oriented things for me
since they were so amazing. Let me explain.

I found Koa Kea from trip advisor, as it was the best rated hotel on
Kauai. I am from Oahu, so hotels in Hawaii dont tend to impress me.
I have been to vegas to see high class, modern hotels like Venetian,
Palazzo, Wynn, Encore, Aria, Bellagio, etc. Those are all gorgeous
hotels, but unless you are made of money, you dont get service. That
being said, Koa Kea is a little pricey compared to a Holiday Inn, but
the value is worth so much more than you pay.

I was in contact with the hotel staff through email and phone for
several months, once I made my reservation. I requested an ocean
front room on a high floor, and that is what we got. The purpose of
my trip was actually to propose to my girlfriend, so I needed to
contact the hotel to get some help. They were quick to send an
amenities list of services they provide, and said to just let them
know what i needed. I ordered rose pedals, made spa and dinner
reservations, and made a plan for the proposal, all with the help of
the kind staff. Every email and phone conversation was nothing short
of kind, helpful, and full of "Aloha".

Now pulling up to the hotel, it was tucked away behind the Sheraton,
and from the outside it seemed small, as expected from a boutique
hotel. Right away we were greeted with smiling faces and the bell
hop/valet people quickly ran to open the doors, and welcomed us, and
ask us for our names to notify the front desk that we had arrived.
They told us they would take our bags to the room for us and they did
so. As we walked into the lobby, the front desk lady walked over to
greet us (by name) only to inform us that our room wasn't ready. This
was the only downside to the trip. I will say that we were there at
1pm and check in is at 3pm. What was I thinking? We had prepared for
this and had gotten lunch from Koloa Fish market and also the deli
(both amazing) so we told them we would wait poolside and eat our
lunch while we waited. They put a rush on our room, and within an
hour, our room was ready. So they let us check in at 2, an hour
earlier than they first warned. They did give us an option for a
floor level room that was ready at the time we frist arrived, but we
turned that down (as they recommended it was worth the wait) and my
gosh it was. The front desk lady took us on a tour of the property,
and led us to our rooms, and had a tea kettle brought for us (since we
didn't show interest in the expresso machine). There were two bottles
of Fiji water waiting for us, as well as freshly made macadamia nuts
and a welcome card. Soon after she left, our bags arrived, and the
man, Kai, was very kind to us, and offered to take pictures of us on
the balcony. He took several shots, all of which were very nice with
the amazing ocean background. He repeatedly asked if we needed
anything, and saw I was going to get ice, and ended up getting it for
us. He was very grateful when I gave him a tip, unlike some help at
other places who act like they deserve it.

We lounged at the pool in complete silence. It was amazing. Earlier
in the day we had walked around to the other hotel (while we waited)
and it was so crowded and noisy. But at Koa Kea, the way the hotel is
shaped, it was secluded and quiet. Most the guests are older (we are
24 so by far the youngest there) and no one was making any noise, just lounging at the pool. The pool man was very friendly. The pool itself was salt water and nice and warm (as oppose to an ice cold pool) and the jacuzzi was large and very nice also. No slides, but for the crowd, it was perfect.

I set up a spa reservation for my fiance and I, and i actually had the spa people set up a pretend reservation for me, so that i could escape to get the room ready for the proposal. They played along wonderfully and were very supportive and excited. The price of the 80 min Swedish massage wasn't too bad, and she apparently felt really relaxed after (mission accomplished).

I had the rose petals delivered to my room, and when I returned, they surprised me with complimentary champagne and flowers for the occasion. A wonderful accent to the already perfect trip. I was actually in schock when I saw it and thanked them profusely for the kind gesture. After the proposal (she said YES), we watched the sunset from our balcony. I am sort of sad we missed the turn down service, which was another iced bottle of Fiji water, but I was busy proposing at the time so the do not disturb sign was up. Glad they respected our privacy.

We finished the night off with dinner at Red Salt. We got the Ono and Mahi, as well as the sashimi and scallops appetizers. The scallops were my favorite part. It was all so good. I have had better fish for the price, but still good none the less. The server was very kind and added a birthday and congratulations sign to our desert we ordered, the dark chocolate thing. Also good.

The next morning we had the breakfast buffet. That was really nice also. It came included in the room package. I had the three egg omelet and my fiance had the eggs benedict. Both very filling. I wasn't sure how big the portions were going to be so I grabbed a bunch of fresh fruits from the buffet...and i had a lot left over. There was also fresh island juice that I know people love.

Later while at the pool, we were trying to take a picture, and a worker, who I never saw before, came over and asked me by name if he could help us with the picture. Very shocking and oh so kind of him. They are so good at making the guests feel like they are taken care of. Very personal service.

When it was time to leave, we simply called the front desk to finalize the bill, and they sent the bell hop over to grab our luggage. By the time we walked to the lobby, our car was waiting, bags in the car, and we were thanked as we left by all of them. It was sad to leave since they were so amazing to us throughout our stay. As I say in the title, after having this experience, going to other hotels just wont cut it as I will be expecting the kind and helpful service of Koa Kea.

Additional info: They do have wireless for free, but I couldn't connect under my name for some reason, but I could under my fiances name. Not a big deal, but in todays world, that free wireless option is nice to have.

6 Thank Aaron K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012 via mobile

When we drove into this hotel, it seemed a bit of a throw back to the 60’s and it some ways-the best ways-it was! Attentive service, delightful staff (particularly Jamie in the outdoor bar and Jim in the indoor bar) and great breakfast and dinner in Sea Salt were just some of the charms of this boutique hotel. Another plus is that there are always lounge chairs by the pool/ocean. You don't have to get up before dawn to snag a spot!

Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Diane C
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

We LOVED the Koa Kea, it was the perfect short break for a couple looking to explore Kauai and get some R&R time, we'd come after a week in Waikiki for work (which got old quite quickly). Its in a great location that is often sunny and less windy when the rest of the island might be overcast and in a place to explore the rest of the island, especially Waimea Canyon. The staff could not have been more friendly or attentive. The marble bathroom, perfectly tailored amenities in the room (L'Occitane products, espresso maker, big big towels and bathrobes), complimentary coffee and tea in the AM, made us feel like we'd designed it ourselves:) The pool, ocean view, and hot tub were extremely hard to leave. We had dinner as well as lunch there and both meals were fantastic. Our only complaint was the bed, it should have been replaced years ago, both sides were really sunken in, leaving us with sore necks and backs. The pool/ocean area could also be improved by some music, but the sound of silence and of the waves was also quite nice. Note - the beach directly in front of the hotel is not great, but there are fantastic beaches immediately next door on both sides and the view from the pool is so cool you don't want to leave. If you stay here, take a walk next door to the Marriott to see what you're NOT missing.

Room Tip: "Partial ocean view" led to a room that looked mostly at the back of the Marriott but upo...
2 Thank ARA20011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,223 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!