“Probably more appealing to 20- and 30-somethings”

Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Koa Kea for three nights. It is very close to the ocean and right beside the Marriott's time-share property. It is conveniently located to Poipu Beach and Poipu Shopping Center. There is a smallish pool and poolside dining. The restaurant is one of the best on the south shore of Kauai. However, we were not entirely convinced of the sincerity of some of the staff....The interiors are new and modern with comfy beds. The downside is that despite this hotel's five-star rating, it has the look of a motel rather than a resort. Young people on vacation will love this place, but well-travelled older guests may wish they had stayed at one of the more seasoned resorts.

Room Tip: We wanted one of the deluxe ocean front rooms and were given an upgrade to an ocean suite which was...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liz K

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I am 56 with an extensive travel history. I got married this past Valentine's Day and we stayed at the Koa Kea for our honeymoon in March. It is now the end of April, and not a day has passed that I haven't wished that I was still at the Koa Kea. We will definitely be back. The most serene hotel stay that I have ever had. I do note that my wife has two boys, 6 and 9. We went on a "familymoon" with then just after our wedding. They would not have enjoyed the Koa Kea and the fact that there weren't kids running all over the place was one of the pluses--it is definitely not a family hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in an Ocean Front room (we missed the sound of the ocean for several nights after we returned h...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank STLOOEY
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is by far the best boutique hotel in Hawaii. Breakfast is excellent; the hotel is quiet; the rooms are nice (except for the low ceilings), everything is updated; the grounds are immaculate and the service is almost one on one. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Hawaii or on Kauai.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tiff1519
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I really enjoyed this hotel. We went for our anniversary. The hotel staff from the valet attendants to the bartender/wait staff were all very nice and made an effort to remember your name. The pool is great and the beach is close by. You can sit in a lounge chair and enjoy the pool behind you, but stare out to the ocean. Our room had a great view of the ocean, although was closer to the main part of the hotel. The room was perfect. Bed was very comfortable. Food at Red Salt restaurant was great as well. We enjoyed the bar area. All in all, we loved it! Would highly recommend and go again. In fact, the reason we booked was because of all the great reviews we saw on Trip Advisor!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Don't hesitate to book here. Royal service indeed and nothing to complain about. They take care of Everything .

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Jersey_Traveller0079
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My husband and 7 year old daughter visited the resort in late March and stayed 4 nights at the Koa Kea before departing to the St. Regis for the rest of our stay. We were impressed by all of the great reviews but I must admit that given the high expectations I was not amazed. We have stayed at various types of properties and usually prefer boutique and smaller, unique properties when we can find them. The decor is beautiful and all of the common areas, including the pool were great. The bedrooms felt small however. We had to keep our clothes packed up because there were hardly any drawers and room to unpack. I was expecting a bit more room for the price. Beds were very comfortable however. In general the staff were nice but did not necessarily go out of their way and the service in the restaurant was lacking. In particular, we had dinner with another family one evening and waited a riduculously long time to receive an edamame appetizer to hold our kids over while they waited for their dinner. The food was good and the adults had no problem waiting because it was a busy night, but they did a horrible job accomodating the 3 children. When my husband complained to the manager that it shouldn't take 30 min to get edamame and another hour for the children's dinner to come out he responded that "his restaurant was full." Having owned a restaurant, this is not an acceptable answer. Overall I would likely stay at another property if I ever went back to Poipu (the north shore is far better but Poipu is great for more sun and a visit to Waimea).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Bini17
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This small hotel is located between two large facilities with its own private beach, spa, wonderful restaurant. It is a little secret on south Poipu beach. The lagoon is wonderful with snorkeling and surfing. The salt water pool is lovely. The Spa is terrific with special hawain special treatments. The restaurant was wonderful too!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Patricia D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!