Koa Kea Hotel & Resort(Poipu)
US$574
US$739
US$409
Travelocity
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$469/night.

The Kauai Inn(Lihue)(Great Value!)
US$161
US$143
Garden Island Inn Hotel(Lihue)(Great Value!)
US$175
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
1,857 results
All reviewsbeach hutcactus gardencastle resortsroyal garden viewathletic clubroad noiseno air conditioninglouvered windowsbeautiful groundsthrough vrbopoipu roadbedroom condocloser to the beachlaundry facilitygreat beachpartial ocean viewfull kitchen
Reviewed October 28, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a trip to the Kiahuna Plantation, and it was wonderful! We stayed in unit 180, which was a one-bedroom ocean view unit on the 2nd floor. It had recently been updated, and was roomy and beautiful. We were a little worried about the lack of air conditioning when booking the condo, but it was not an issue at all. The trade winds keep things cool, and sleeping with the blinds open to hear the sound of the ocean waves was lovely. Even the infamous Kauai roosters didn't bother us! Check in and out were a breeze. We were so close to the beach we didn't even wear shoes for the walk down! We are "beach people" so we didn't even go to the pool (which is across the street from the resort and a bit of a walk for the units close to the ocean.) The beach is great and ideal for swimming, sunbathing, snorkeling, and watching the sunset each night. The resort as a whole was very quiet and relaxing; we spent each morning reading on the huge lanai, enjoying the view. If I had to pick one thing to change, it would be the mattress, which was a bit too soft for my taste, but it was really no big deal. This was our first time to Hawaii, and we are already planning our next trip and plan to stay at Kiahuna Plantations again! Mahalo!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the ocean view--worth every penny!
2  Thank Jessica K
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Kiahuna Plantation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

Mahalo plenty for your nice comments!

Yes, we agree that #180 is a very special unit, nicely upgraded and elegant. It also comes complete with our Kauai Roosters. Hahahaha.

When you are ready to return, feel free to contact me if I can be of assitance.

Reviewed October 28, 2011

I gave Kiahuna an average rating for a few reasons, but they have nothing to do with the room accommodations. The good: this property is beautiful, with sweeping green lawns, a stunning garden full of orchids and wide open ocean views. It is what you would picture in Hawaii - palm trees and all. The bad unfortunately outweighed the good in my opinion. Firstly, the unit we were in (89) was rented directly from the owner and was in need of repairs. The bathroom toilet sounded like it was going to take off after every flush, the water coming from the faucet in the kitchen was so disgusting we wouldn't even rinse our hands with it (smelled like mold!) and the pull out couch advertised as sleeping for two - was a joke! Thank goodness it was only me - the only way I slept was to pile the couch bed with cushions and sleep on top of them. The matress was so old and decrepit - the owner should be embarrassed to call that an actual feasible sleeping option. I also found these older buildings to be very loud - the noise from neighbors all around carried right into our ground floor unit.

I have to admit I'm spoiled b/c we usually stay at the Marriott Waiohai - which is right next door. In comparison to Waiohai, Kiahuna is pretty basic. The lackluster condo, small beach and offsite pool were pretty big negatives to me. I'll take the more resort like feel of the Waohai over Kiahuna for many reasons, especially the better beach, more convenient pools, nicer condos and more consistent experience.

Room Tip: If you get garden view, ask for something away from the parking lots and main road. Make sure your unit windows don't face the entire open side of another unit b/c all of their noise carries right into yours!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We had a one bedroom (#309) that was offered for sleeping four. This condo, while pleasant, could really use wireless internet and some better bedding. There was a nice king bed, a sofabed and a "futon". The futon was similar to a long, thin… chaise lounge cushion. We put it on top of the chaise lounge from the lanai instead of the floor. Our very tall teenage sons traded the sofabed and futon/lounge chair setup every night. They weren't very comfortable on either one. I think this condo is best advertised to sleep three, unless two small children use the sofabed. There is only one wired internet connection in the room, not fun for teens who like to talk online to friends at night. This particular room had good ventilation and no bugs.

Room Tip: This room overlooks a cactus/aloe garden. It's a bit of a walk to the beach. You can see a peek of ocean from the room. Can hear music from the Sheraton quite well at night, which wasn't objectionable for us.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MissingKailua88

Aloha - thank you for your visit with us.

We agree with you in that our beautiful property needs a wireless solution. We are currently looking into our options, but know that it is difficult and expensive to set up a 33 acre property that has so many buildings. That said, we really do need a solution quickly, so it is a priority for me.

Please feel free to contact me should you decide to return, and I will do my best to ensure a memorable visit.

Mahalo,

Reviewed October 21, 2011

Castle Kaihuna is a mixed bag, Lush green lawns are well mantained and beach is small but quite nice.

My unit was on second floor and with no baggage trolley, was quite an excercise to move all luggage along with groceries up. The bed in the room is quite uncomfortable, I enquired at front desk and they said Castle managed rooms have similar mattress. While I was walking in pain, I met another guest who booked directly from an owner and showed us their ocean front room with very comfortable mattress. I had to visit doctor on return to make sure, I donot have a spine injury. I stayed on the unit facing poipu road and it was quite noisy due to lack of glass and shutters donot close properly. So I came back from vacation sleepless and in pain, not that I imagined ever from my first visit to Kauai...

Orchid garden is very nice and a must see.

7  Thank Jessica B

I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I wonder if you requested a ground floor unit either in advance or once your arrived? Of course, we don't always have one available, but we could have tried. We also have folks on staff that help with luggage and groceries - just give us a call!

Reviewed October 15, 2011

I've stayed at the Plantation twice, the last time just the past two weeks. The important thing to understand is this is not a hotel! It is a condo property, and the quality of your suite will be entirely dependent on the individual owner. I've stayed twice in building 38, which is not on the beach, but instead overlooks the cactus garden and the Sheraton's conference centre (on a little lake). I find the view beautiful, and you can't beat the sound of the birds.

Both condos I have stayed in have been very comfortable, with updated bathrooms and bedrooms. The kitchens are a bit tired, but it still does the trick, and if this is important to you, there are units for rent with updated kitchens. It is quite true that none of the units have a/c, but I don't find this a problem, with the ceiling fans, and the incredible cross breezes through the unit, if you have the lanai door open and the slats in the front door open. If you are still hot (like my husband was), you can call the front desk and ask for a fan. We did this and they brought up a huge table fan!

The beach is on the property and only a two minute walk even if you are staying on the outskirts of the property. There are beach chairs and towels that you sign out, and you can choose to sit right on the beautiful and uncrowded beach, or up on the "great lawn", which is an expansive grass area with palm trees overlooking the ocean. The grounds are indeed beautiful, with the cactus garden, the orchid garden and many other smaller gardens throughout the 35 acre property.

The location is perfect - you can walk across to the Poipu Shopping Village, with Starbucks and the Whalers General Store, and a few restaurants including Keoki's, my personal favorite on the island (tropical atmosphere, good food). The main part of Poipu Beach is a five minute walk down the beach (you have to walk a bit on the beach/ then you can walk on the Marriott's pathways OR just walk down Poipu Road to the next turn). There is another shopping plaza at the roundabout, which is a five or ten minute walk the other way from Poipu Beach. We ate at a Mexican place there, which was good but pricey, and there is a new shrimp place called Savage Shrimp, which was awesome.

If you are looking for an affordable condo in a perfect sunny south side location, this is your place! Check out www.vrbo.com and find your perfect unit. Depending on which unit you pick, it may be managed by Outrigger or Castle Resorts. Both times I've been with Castle, and I haven't had any problems - check in and out was quick and friendly, their bath products are nice, maid service was good etc (note: you have to pay extra for maid service).

2  Thank Princess of Power

Mahalo for your visit, and your positive review.

Just one point for clarification - as you note, if you book through VRBO maid service is an added cost, but to clear up any confusion, if you book through Castle daily maid service is included in the rate.

We hope to see you back again soon!