“Unit #123-Beautiful Condo and Fabulous Stay”

Kiahuna Plantation Resort
Ranked #2 of 29 Speciality Lodging in Poipu
Reviewed 1 November 2011

If you are going to rent a unit at the Kiahuna Plantation and Resort my best recommendation is to do a little research through VRBO (vacation rentals by owner) because the units do vary. I searched high and low for this hidden gem. We rented this unit though Dean and Paul using VRBO. This particular unit #123 is immaculate, very modern, and recently renovated-just perfect.

It is a 1 bedroom unit stocked with everything one would need. The king sized bed is very comfortable, the bathroom is gorgeous with a spacious stand in shower, dimmer lights and huge separated bathroom sink and counter. We did not do much cooking except for breakfast, but I must add that the kitchen is to die for with a huge marble counter. The living area has very comfortable bamboo furniture. My husband loved the sofa chair. There is a flat screen TV in the living room and bedroom with DVD players. The condo is decorated with some beautiful paintings that I believe are done by some local artists.

They have guidebooks and reading material on Kauai and even made some notations in their guidebooks. They also have a book of recommendations including restaurants, activities etc. They really thought of everything and you could tell that they really want their guests to enjoy their condo and beautiful Kauai.

The lanai is gorgeous and has deck furniture which is nice to either relax or have breakfast. It overlooks the grounds of the Kiahuna, its beautiful coconut trees, and a partial view of ocean.

The condo is not beach front, but is a mere 3 minute walk to the best beach on the South Shore- Kiahuna beach. We used the boardwalk and walked over to the main part of Poipu Beach (two crescent bays with the tombolo) and found it too crowded and much preferred the beach in front of the Kiahuna Plantation. The beach is great for boogie boarding and they also have a few surf schools that teach lessons right on Kiahuna Beach.

Our one concern was if it was going to get to be too warm in the condo, particularly for my husband as he is very sensitive to the heat and humidity. The condo although lacks ac (as do most if not all condos at Kiahuna Plantation) has vaulted ceilings, plantation shutters and multiple fans. I had to laugh when I saw him sleeping with a sheet on. The breeze is magnificent and we were never hot. We slept so well. In fact we kept the fan on pretty low though out our stay and didn't need the extra stand up fan they had.

The condo, because it being located on the third floor is more private and quiet. We weren't woken up from roosters as some people have complained in some other reviews. For the amentities this condo provides, you would be paying $500 plus a night at a fancy resort, we paid $180/night.

As for the resort itself, the beach was great and grounds were very well manicured and beautiful. They have an activities desk to help you out which were resourceful. We used them for a few activities. Their is a beach hut that has complimentary beach towels and chairs. Their boogie boards are for rent for $7/day. There is an onsite restaurant that has received fantastic reviews called the Plantation Gardens. The condo is conveniently located across the street from the Poipu Shopping Village that is filled with shops and some restaurants (Roys, Keoki's). They also supposedly have a pretty nice pool which we never had the chance to see because with Kauai's beaches, who needs a pool.

I will say it again, do not hesitate to rent this unit.

Room Tip: Room #123- Beautiful, Quiet unit.
6  Thank evenstar944
There are newer reviews for Kiahuna Plantation Resort

Reviewed 28 October 2011

My husband and I just returned from a trip to the Kiahuna Plantation, and it was wonderful! We stayed in unit 180, which was a one-bedroom ocean view unit on the 2nd floor. It had recently been updated, and was roomy and beautiful. We were a little worried about the lack of air conditioning when booking the condo, but it was not an issue at all. The trade winds keep things cool, and sleeping with the blinds open to hear the sound of the ocean waves was lovely. Even the infamous Kauai roosters didn't bother us! Check in and out were a breeze. We were so close to the beach we didn't even wear shoes for the walk down! We are "beach people" so we didn't even go to the pool (which is across the street from the resort and a bit of a walk for the units close to the ocean.) The beach is great and ideal for swimming, sunbathing, snorkeling, and watching the sunset each night. The resort as a whole was very quiet and relaxing; we spent each morning reading on the huge lanai, enjoying the view. If I had to pick one thing to change, it would be the mattress, which was a bit too soft for my taste, but it was really no big deal. This was our first time to Hawaii, and we are already planning our next trip and plan to stay at Kiahuna Plantations again! Mahalo!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the ocean view--worth every penny!
2  Thank Jessica K
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Kiahuna Plantation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Mahalo plenty for your nice comments!

Yes, we agree that #180 is a very special unit, nicely upgraded and elegant. It also comes complete with our Kauai Roosters. Hahahaha.

When you are ready to return, feel free to contact me if I can be of assitance.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

I gave Kiahuna an average rating for a few reasons, but they have nothing to do with the room accommodations. The good: this property is beautiful, with sweeping green lawns, a stunning garden full of orchids and wide open ocean views. It is what you would picture in Hawaii - palm trees and all. The bad unfortunately outweighed the good in my opinion. Firstly, the unit we were in (89) was rented directly from the owner and was in need of repairs. The bathroom toilet sounded like it was going to take off after every flush, the water coming from the faucet in the kitchen was so disgusting we wouldn't even rinse our hands with it (smelled like mold!) and the pull out couch advertised as sleeping for two - was a joke! Thank goodness it was only me - the only way I slept was to pile the couch bed with cushions and sleep on top of them. The matress was so old and decrepit - the owner should be embarrassed to call that an actual feasible sleeping option. I also found these older buildings to be very loud - the noise from neighbors all around carried right into our ground floor unit.

I have to admit I'm spoiled b/c we usually stay at the Marriott Waiohai - which is right next door. In comparison to Waiohai, Kiahuna is pretty basic. The lackluster condo, small beach and offsite pool were pretty big negatives to me. I'll take the more resort like feel of the Waohai over Kiahuna for many reasons, especially the better beach, more convenient pools, nicer condos and more consistent experience.

Room Tip: If you get garden view, ask for something away from the parking lots and main road. Make sure your...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We had a one bedroom (#309) that was offered for sleeping four. This condo, while pleasant, could really use wireless internet and some better bedding. There was a nice king bed, a sofabed and a "futon". The futon was similar to a long, thin… chaise lounge cushion. We put it on top of the chaise lounge from the lanai instead of the floor. Our very tall teenage sons traded the sofabed and futon/lounge chair setup every night. They weren't very comfortable on either one. I think this condo is best advertised to sleep three, unless two small children use the sofabed. There is only one wired internet connection in the room, not fun for teens who like to talk online to friends at night. This particular room had good ventilation and no bugs.

Room Tip: This room overlooks a cactus/aloe garden. It's a bit of a walk to the beach. You can see a peek...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MissingKailua88

Aloha - thank you for your visit with us.

We agree with you in that our beautiful property needs a wireless solution. We are currently looking into our options, but know that it is difficult and expensive to set up a 33 acre property that has so many buildings. That said, we really do need a solution quickly, so it is a priority for me.

Please feel free to contact me should you decide to return, and I will do my best to ensure a memorable visit.

Mahalo,

Reviewed 21 October 2011

Castle Kaihuna is a mixed bag, Lush green lawns are well mantained and beach is small but quite nice.

My unit was on second floor and with no baggage trolley, was quite an excercise to move all luggage along with groceries up. The bed in the room is quite uncomfortable, I enquired at front desk and they said Castle managed rooms have similar mattress. While I was walking in pain, I met another guest who booked directly from an owner and showed us their ocean front room with very comfortable mattress. I had to visit doctor on return to make sure, I donot have a spine injury. I stayed on the unit facing poipu road and it was quite noisy due to lack of glass and shutters donot close properly. So I came back from vacation sleepless and in pain, not that I imagined ever from my first visit to Kauai...

Orchid garden is very nice and a must see.

7  Thank Jessica B

I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I wonder if you requested a ground floor unit either in advance or once your arrived? Of course, we don't always have one available, but we could have tried. We also have folks on staff that help with luggage and groceries - just give us a call!

Reviewed 15 October 2011

I've stayed at the Plantation twice, the last time just the past two weeks. The important thing to understand is this is not a hotel! It is a condo property, and the quality of your suite will be entirely dependent on the individual owner. I've stayed twice in building 38, which is not on the beach, but instead overlooks the cactus garden and the Sheraton's conference centre (on a little lake). I find the view beautiful, and you can't beat the sound of the birds.

Both condos I have stayed in have been very comfortable, with updated bathrooms and bedrooms. The kitchens are a bit tired, but it still does the trick, and if this is important to you, there are units for rent with updated kitchens. It is quite true that none of the units have a/c, but I don't find this a problem, with the ceiling fans, and the incredible cross breezes through the unit, if you have the lanai door open and the slats in the front door open. If you are still hot (like my husband was), you can call the front desk and ask for a fan. We did this and they brought up a huge table fan!

The beach is on the property and only a two minute walk even if you are staying on the outskirts of the property. There are beach chairs and towels that you sign out, and you can choose to sit right on the beautiful and uncrowded beach, or up on the "great lawn", which is an expansive grass area with palm trees overlooking the ocean. The grounds are indeed beautiful, with the cactus garden, the orchid garden and many other smaller gardens throughout the 35 acre property.

The location is perfect - you can walk across to the Poipu Shopping Village, with Starbucks and the Whalers General Store, and a few restaurants including Keoki's, my personal favorite on the island (tropical atmosphere, good food). The main part of Poipu Beach is a five minute walk down the beach (you have to walk a bit on the beach/ then you can walk on the Marriott's pathways OR just walk down Poipu Road to the next turn). There is another shopping plaza at the roundabout, which is a five or ten minute walk the other way from Poipu Beach. We ate at a Mexican place there, which was good but pricey, and there is a new shrimp place called Savage Shrimp, which was awesome.

If you are looking for an affordable condo in a perfect sunny south side location, this is your place! Check out www.vrbo.com and find your perfect unit. Depending on which unit you pick, it may be managed by Outrigger or Castle Resorts. Both times I've been with Castle, and I haven't had any problems - check in and out was quick and friendly, their bath products are nice, maid service was good etc (note: you have to pay extra for maid service).

2  Thank Princess of Power

Mahalo for your visit, and your positive review.

Just one point for clarification - as you note, if you book through VRBO maid service is an added cost, but to clear up any confusion, if you book through Castle daily maid service is included in the rate.

We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 13 October 2011

This hotel is NOT what my husband and I expected.

The rooms really are bungalow style, meaning there is NO air conditioning, and the window screens are covered with window slats that don't actually shut. You can close them, but there are still gaps through which you can hear all the outside noise. And if you want the air to circulate through the room, you can't close the slats at all. So you have to choose...privacy but be hot and still hear some noise...or have some air but have no privacy and hear everything outside.

But the worst part was that there were so many little flying bugs in our room. To make it even more disgusting, there were about 50 blood spots all over the bedroom wall, I'm assuming from people killing the bugs. We felt disgusting sleeping in the room.

One nice surprise was that the room was actually a suite, with a living room, dining area, and a full kitchen.

The property was also decent, especially the grassy patch that overlooked the ocean.

These positive aspects were not enough to make up for the other things that I think should be a given. We would never stay here again and would NOT recommend others to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bjoo
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Kiahuna Plantation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2011

I am so sorry our beautiful resort did not meet you expectations. I wonder if any research was done by you or your travel agent prior to booking? I only ask because obviously you did not know we do not feature air conditioning, and also that you were not aware that we are in reality 1 bedroom suites.

The property review section that you wrote this post on has many references to the fact that Kiahuna does not have a.c., therefore my surprise.

At any rate, we extend our sincere apologies that your stay with us was not perfect. If for some reason you change your mind and would like to try us again, please feel free to contact me for personal assistance. I will do everything I can to ensure that you have a Dream Vacation.

Roy Thompson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kiahuna Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!