If you are going to rent a unit at the Kiahuna Plantation and Resort my best recommendation is to do a little research through VRBO (vacation rentals by owner) because the units do vary. I searched high and low for this hidden gem. We rented this unit though Dean and Paul using VRBO. This particular unit #123 is immaculate, very modern, and recently renovated-just perfect.
It is a 1 bedroom unit stocked with everything one would need. The king sized bed is very comfortable, the bathroom is gorgeous with a spacious stand in shower, dimmer lights and huge separated bathroom sink and counter. We did not do much cooking except for breakfast, but I must add that the kitchen is to die for with a huge marble counter. The living area has very comfortable bamboo furniture. My husband loved the sofa chair. There is a flat screen TV in the living room and bedroom with DVD players. The condo is decorated with some beautiful paintings that I believe are done by some local artists.
They have guidebooks and reading material on Kauai and even made some notations in their guidebooks. They also have a book of recommendations including restaurants, activities etc. They really thought of everything and you could tell that they really want their guests to enjoy their condo and beautiful Kauai.
The lanai is gorgeous and has deck furniture which is nice to either relax or have breakfast. It overlooks the grounds of the Kiahuna, its beautiful coconut trees, and a partial view of ocean.
The condo is not beach front, but is a mere 3 minute walk to the best beach on the South Shore- Kiahuna beach. We used the boardwalk and walked over to the main part of Poipu Beach (two crescent bays with the tombolo) and found it too crowded and much preferred the beach in front of the Kiahuna Plantation. The beach is great for boogie boarding and they also have a few surf schools that teach lessons right on Kiahuna Beach.
Our one concern was if it was going to get to be too warm in the condo, particularly for my husband as he is very sensitive to the heat and humidity. The condo although lacks ac (as do most if not all condos at Kiahuna Plantation) has vaulted ceilings, plantation shutters and multiple fans. I had to laugh when I saw him sleeping with a sheet on. The breeze is magnificent and we were never hot. We slept so well. In fact we kept the fan on pretty low though out our stay and didn't need the extra stand up fan they had.
The condo, because it being located on the third floor is more private and quiet. We weren't woken up from roosters as some people have complained in some other reviews. For the amentities this condo provides, you would be paying $500 plus a night at a fancy resort, we paid $180/night.
As for the resort itself, the beach was great and grounds were very well manicured and beautiful. They have an activities desk to help you out which were resourceful. We used them for a few activities. Their is a beach hut that has complimentary beach towels and chairs. Their boogie boards are for rent for $7/day. There is an onsite restaurant that has received fantastic reviews called the Plantation Gardens. The condo is conveniently located across the street from the Poipu Shopping Village that is filled with shops and some restaurants (Roys, Keoki's). They also supposedly have a pretty nice pool which we never had the chance to see because with Kauai's beaches, who needs a pool.
I will say it again, do not hesitate to rent this unit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kiahuna Plantation Resort Kauai by Outrigger(R) is situated on a 35-acre oceanfront setting at Poipu Beach shaded by tall swaying palms and scented by fragrant plumeria blossoms. Play at the resort's swimming beach, dine at Plantation Gardens Restaurant, and tee off at Kiahuna Golf Club. The internationally-recognized orchid and succulent gardens are living legacies of this former plantation estate. Explore historic Koloa Town a few minutes away, drive west to Waimea Canyon, or east to Hanalei on the north shore. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Kiahuna Plantation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation Hotel Poipu
- Outrigger Hotel Kiahuna Plantation
- Outrigger Hotel Koloa
- Outrigger Poipu
- Kiahuna Plantation Resort Poipu, Kauai, HI