We did lots of research on this resort before booking and were assured by everyone that this place was very nice and we would love it. The guide book that we used (The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook) cautioned that some of the units were dated and needed to be updated.
Let me start by saying that the grounds at this resort are beautifully manicured. Everything is absolutely gorgeous. Make sure you walk around the property! The buildings are well maintained. There are several gas grills with picnic tables for use throughout the property which is a nice feature, especially for families.
There is a huge ocean front lawn where you can sunbathe, or hide in the shade of a palm tree if you are not a sand lover. They have the most amazing grass. It is what is used on some golf courses. It looks artificial and feels like carpet. If I could still do cartwheels, I would have!
The beach is very nice although a bit narrow when the tide comes in but most of Hawaii is not known for its wide sandy beaches, and I think this may be rated as one of the nicer beaches in Poipu. If you have a hankering to learn to surf, you are definitely in the right place. There are daily surf lessons right off this beach by a local company, and I must say it was good entertainment. There is also a restaurant on the property, located in the registation building, that is well worth a visit.
There is a pool but you have to walk up to the main road and across the street to get to it. There is a nice shopping center across the road too with several restaurants, Starbucks, shops and a small market.
Here are my issues with resort: We stayed in 2 units while there. (We had asked for an ocean front unit and the first was not what I would consider to be ocean front, so we complained and were moved.) Both units needed updating. The kitchen in our first unit had very old appliances and the bedrooms and baths were very out dated. The kitchen in the second was much better but again, bedrooms and baths needed updating. (I have to assume that Outrigger maintains the exterior and the owners maintain the interior.) We were also told in advance that there was no air conditioning, which was not a problem while we were there. However, because of this, the lower levels in both of these units smelled musty, and our clothes did too. Keep in mind that bedrooms and bathrooms are on the lower level and the living rooms and kitchens are on the upper.
My husband also had a run in with a giant spider in our bathroom (apparently it was mentioned in the guest book that thankfully I did not read). I am glad he kept its appearance to himself and it had to good sense not to show himself to me because I would have been out of there in a heartbeat. Geckos I can handle. Giant spiders - NO!!!
Another problem is that there are wooden jalousie window type shutters that you close to keep the air out. Unfortunately, this does not keep the noise out. Keep this in mind if you are a light sleeper. Also, check to see if there is an apartment above your unit. This can be another noise issue!
Maid service is not daily if this is a big deal for you.
All-in-all, this is a great location for families to vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kiahuna Plantation Resort Kauai by Outrigger(R) is situated on a 35-acre oceanfront setting at Poipu Beach shaded by tall swaying palms and scented by fragrant plumeria blossoms. Play at the resort's swimming beach, dine at Plantation Gardens Restaurant, and tee off at Kiahuna Golf Club. The internationally-recognized orchid and succulent gardens are living legacies of this former plantation estate. Explore historic Koloa Town a few minutes away, drive west to Waimea Canyon, or east to Hanalei on the north shore. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Kiahuna Plantation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation Hotel Poipu
- Outrigger Hotel Kiahuna Plantation
- Outrigger Hotel Koloa
- Outrigger Poipu
- Kiahuna Plantation Resort Poipu, Kauai, HI