“Beautiful gardens - condos are so-so” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kiahuna Plantation Resort

Kiahuna Plantation Resort
Ranked #4 of 30 Speciality Lodging in Poipu
Maryland
“Beautiful gardens - condos are so-so”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

We did lots of research on this resort before booking and were assured by everyone that this place was very nice and we would love it. The guide book that we used (The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook) cautioned that some of the units were dated and needed to be updated.

Let me start by saying that the grounds at this resort are beautifully manicured. Everything is absolutely gorgeous. Make sure you walk around the property! The buildings are well maintained. There are several gas grills with picnic tables for use throughout the property which is a nice feature, especially for families.

There is a huge ocean front lawn where you can sunbathe, or hide in the shade of a palm tree if you are not a sand lover. They have the most amazing grass. It is what is used on some golf courses. It looks artificial and feels like carpet. If I could still do cartwheels, I would have!

The beach is very nice although a bit narrow when the tide comes in but most of Hawaii is not known for its wide sandy beaches, and I think this may be rated as one of the nicer beaches in Poipu. If you have a hankering to learn to surf, you are definitely in the right place. There are daily surf lessons right off this beach by a local company, and I must say it was good entertainment. There is also a restaurant on the property, located in the registation building, that is well worth a visit.

There is a pool but you have to walk up to the main road and across the street to get to it. There is a nice shopping center across the road too with several restaurants, Starbucks, shops and a small market.

Here are my issues with resort: We stayed in 2 units while there. (We had asked for an ocean front unit and the first was not what I would consider to be ocean front, so we complained and were moved.) Both units needed updating. The kitchen in our first unit had very old appliances and the bedrooms and baths were very out dated. The kitchen in the second was much better but again, bedrooms and baths needed updating. (I have to assume that Outrigger maintains the exterior and the owners maintain the interior.) We were also told in advance that there was no air conditioning, which was not a problem while we were there. However, because of this, the lower levels in both of these units smelled musty, and our clothes did too. Keep in mind that bedrooms and bathrooms are on the lower level and the living rooms and kitchens are on the upper.

My husband also had a run in with a giant spider in our bathroom (apparently it was mentioned in the guest book that thankfully I did not read). I am glad he kept its appearance to himself and it had to good sense not to show himself to me because I would have been out of there in a heartbeat. Geckos I can handle. Giant spiders - NO!!!

Another problem is that there are wooden jalousie window type shutters that you close to keep the air out. Unfortunately, this does not keep the noise out. Keep this in mind if you are a light sleeper. Also, check to see if there is an apartment above your unit. This can be another noise issue!

Maid service is not daily if this is a big deal for you.

All-in-all, this is a great location for families to vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMofOutriggerKiahuna, General Manager at Kiahuna Plantation Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our staff takes good card of the grounds. We are gad you enjoyed them. Each unit is individually owned and we try to encourage our owners to upgrade and keep their units current.
Chris A. Gampon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

When we finaly arrived after some flight delays, we found our condo to be clean and updated. thank you AAA for hooking us up. We stayed in 159 and it was beautiful. Nice view of the beach. Close to snorkeling too.
Y

1 Thank gregbushman
Dear Y,
Hope you will be back to enjoy our property again. Thanks for the review.
Chris A. Gampon
chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Beautiful grounds around the Castle Kiahuna Plantation. Our condo was only ok. I will say, the things we complained about, they did fix. Our particular condo did show some wear and tear and had we not stayed on Hawaii first in a gorgeous condo, we may have been okay with this one. We were lucky enough to the closest condo to the road, so we did have that noise and the roosters could be a bit obnoxious at 430am. Hahaha, they're beautiful but not their cockadoodling at that time of the morning. We learned to shut our blinds to help keep the noise out. All in all, the place had what we needed, we didn't spend a lot of time in the condo, it was mostly to sleep. We loved the location and the beautiful beaches nearby. I would have loved to have seen some other condo's to see if they were more updated. As a travel agent, it's nice not to draw a conclusion if only seeing one condo. They are all privately owned, so I'm sure they vary. Would I go back, hmmmm, probably not going to take a risk of getting a condo I didn't love.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank nesann
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Kiahuna Plantation Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Thank you for your informative review. May I encourage you to return, and offer to book your reservation personally? I will ensure that you have a memorable experience.

Aloha,

Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Our 10th anniversary was a dream come true at the Castle Kiahuna Beach Bungalows. The rooms were so nice with great views. Pleasant helpful staff. Hardly ever saw our neighbors and the evenings were quiet. The birds were a bit noisy in the mornings but no worries we were always ready to get up and go. I would go back tomorrow if my husband said "lets go". Loved our stay and would recommend anyone stay at this facility.

Room Tip: We stayed in Ocean View room. I don't think I would have liked the garden view. The beachfront...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cowboystevesprincess
Congratulations on your 10th anniversay! I am glad that you spent it with us.

Please come back for your 11th (and 12th, and 13th,,,,,,,,).

We apreciate your business and look forward to seeing you back here.

Encinitas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

We are repeat guests of Kiahuna Plantation and we really enjoy the low-key atmosphere. It's not the Hyatt and thank God for that. Nice to be able to cook in if you want and not pay the insane hotel food prices. We've stayed in various units throughout the property, and our stay in condo 175 was really nice. Tastefully redone but not overboard. Bed was good. Great location with a view of the ocean. Fun for our two year old to run out the slider on to the big lawn. This one is on our short-list for a return.

Room Tip: Make sure you book something that is on or near the central lawn area- makes access to the beach way...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank GrantTraveler_12
I am so pleased that you enjoyed yourselves again here in Paradise. Unit 175 is very nice. You sould like the kind of folks who do enjoy our "laid back" resort.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Nebraska resident, avid traveler
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

This was our honeymoon and upon arrival the room for the groom and his son was ready and waiting for them. It was not one of the ocean view really expensive rooms. The bride was to occupy the "Honeymoon " room which was to be the best room and most expensive room available with an ocean view. At check in they could not find the reservation which was for 9 nights and finally gave the bride a room whch had obviously not been occupied for some time. It was over 100 degrees in the room and had vines growing over the screen areas and trees blocking any opportunity for a breeze. The bedroom faced a major sidewalk and there was no privacy at all. When we asked for a fan we never received one even though we saw several on the housekeeping carts We bought a fan, but were miserable as the place never cooled down and it was impossible to sleep in such a "hot house". Our travel agent tried to help us, but she got no where with them either. Instead they treated us as if we had a contageous disease after we asked for assistance. To add insult to injury they cut the vines and the trees back the morning that we were checking out. Come and see the grounds, but stay somewhere where your business and comfort are valued. We are returning for a second honeymoon and aren't even considering staying there. They never did apologize or offer to make the situation right financially either. We wasted our money here; dont make the mistake that we made.

Room Tip: If you must stay here be sure to get an end room and not a room sandiched between two other rooms li...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank ChristianLadyLawyer
I am so sorry that you had a bad experience with us! Please accept our sincere apologies.

Unfortuantely from what information you posted I could not figure out what reservation to associate with this review, so cannot comment on specifics.

Clearly though, we did not live up to your expectations, and again, we do apologize. Please, if you do consider staying here again, contact me personally so that I can assist you and I promise you a memorable stay.

Aloha,

Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

This was our fourth stay at the Kiahuna Plantation. The grounds are beautiful, well maintained and lush. The beach fronting the property is just big enough and has good swimming and snorkeling. The expanse of lawn fronting the beach with palm trees to provide shade, is a nice place to relax while being out of the sand. There are beach chairs available for beach and lawn. There are showers to rinse off the sand when leaving the beach. There are "foot washers" located throughout the property. There is good beach walking from the Kiahuna beach toward the east. Within walking distance there are numerous restaurants and shopping opportunities. The Poipu area is low key and peaceful. Every condo I have been in (6) has been well maintained and clean. As each condo is individually owned, there are differences in upgrades and decor. The rooms have condos have great ventilation and I have never thought needed air coonditioning. The staff was very accomodating, from giving me an extra key when I locked myself out to offering a no cost "hospitality room" to shower and change before our evening flight home. We took part in the no cost Hawaiian vow renewal ceremony on the grounds held once a week. In past stays there was the presence of the pesky chickens to wake you every morning (and sometimes evening) but this time there was a noticable absence of chickens. We never heard a "crow". As I have been to Kauai numerous times, I am aware of many resorts on the island. I will always stay at the Kiahuna for it's location, beautiful grounds and beach and nice accomodations.

Room Tip: I prefer the area of the resort most to the east and the center of the property. The gardens are be...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bev P
Thank you so much for your fourth stay! I hope that your fifth stay will be soon. Please stop by and introduce yourself on your next visit as I do like to meet our frequent visitors.

Aloha and mahalo,

Roy Thompson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,157 reviews
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kiahuna Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!