“Great Location Nice Place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club

Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
El Dorado Hills, California
“Great Location Nice Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

This stay was our third here at The Waiohai Beach Club. Love the location, grounds, beach, pools and views (when you can get them). This stay my wife and I were enjoying our 30th Wedding Anniversary and brought some very good friends with us. I am a owner of a Marriott Timeshare in South Lake Tahoe and we traded for this stay at The Waiohai Beach Club. I am also a Platinum member of Marriott. I write all this to make a point. With all these items (Owner, 30th, Platinum) we thought we had very good reason to get a two bedroom (this is w we own a two bedroom Platinum in Tahoe) room with a beautiful ocean view. Well we did have one (there aren't very many rooms to offer a true Ocean view at this resort) but I REALLY had to work for it. Emails months in advance, follow up emails, phone calls before we left and when we arrived at the front desk reminded them of all my contacts with them. The room was in Hale 8 (Room 8134 bottom floor). We were towards the back of Hale 8 and had a view from our lanai of the Ocean and a pretty nice green area to put our chairs out to. I think that everyone who is planning to stay here has to understand that the way the resort is built there are limited full Ocean views. The resort is is built in a "U" shape with the bottom of the "U" towards the back. So you do have a view from you lanai/decks at the bottom of the "U" (only if your facing that way) but it's over the whole properly grounds and pretty far away from the beach and ocean. The only Hales that have true ocean views are eight and one. All in all we had a great time, staff is nice but you really have to work hard and follow through to get service you ask for completed. We had some very small issues with our room and they came quickly on one (successful) and a day for the other (they didn't fix the problem). I believed I read on another rating that management at this resort could use some improvement and I have to agree with them. The staff is a reflection of management and you should have to WORK so hard or really at all to receive great service. They need to work on this. It's kind of sad as this resort has a lot going for it. Like I wrote very nice location, great beach, nice villas (not near as nice as our villas in Tahoe), beautiful grounds (again not as nice as other resorts in Kauai) and close to eats things to do. All in all it's a nice place.

Room Tip: Villa's with TRUE Ocean views are in Hale eight and one
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank PortugueseMan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Polish first
Moses Lake, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

Loved everything about the place! Staff were friendly, rooms lovely, grounds gorgeous, beach a short walk away, and we even enjoyed the roosters, hens and chicks! A few days were rainy but hey, Hawaii IS in the middle of the Pacific!! Had a very relaxing wonderful time!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a garden facing room, otherwise you run the risk of looking at the parking lot!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jmbhappy
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

The Waiohai (Why O Hi) has a state park to the left as you face the ocean and a large Sheraton property to the right. The beaches are good for swimming, snorkeling and learning to surf. The area has more beach to walk and explore with hotels around it than most of the other parts of the island and the area is nicer and more upscale. The Grand Hyatt is a bigger nicer property just down the road but it doesn't have a good beach. The location of the hotel in Poipu is well situated to explore the island and has nicer hotels and resorts.

The Waiohai is a time share facility so at Spring Break there was not much choice. Original room looked at parking lot and was changed to handicap room. Girl at front, not particularly helpful and somewhat discouraging of changing rooms, said only four rooms to choose from for me, a non-time share guest. Had no idea it was a time share facility booking online. Call to speak to someone to get an idea of what you will be getting. It is Spring Break so I am sure other times are not as full. Maybe...

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook parking lots. Others look inward at the facilty grounds inside the complex. Al...
6 Thank lakewayman
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club in Hale 7 (7401) with family using Marriott Reward Points. We found the accommodation to be nice, updated, and located on beautiful grounds. The property is not as extravagant as the Hyatt, but is perfect for families. Yes, the view out of our two bedroom/ bath unit is over a parking lot, but we could see the ocean sitting from the couch. The view wasn’t a big issue for us because we would prefer to be out and about on the beach or exploring the island. We found the beach to be very nice for hanging out in the water because of the natural rock barriers. We did some snorkeling and paddle boarding off the beach. Our biggest disappointment of the week was the weather…rainy and windy (more so than normal). We’d come back again, but probably later in the year for better weather.

1 Thank asw_1984
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Currently on our second of six nights at the Marriott Waiohai. The unit itself and property itself is very nice. But, I booked an ocean view 2 bedroom villa, which is actually a partial ocean view as the view of the ocean is obstructed. However, that I can overlook what I cannot overlook is that our unit in Hale 7 is overlooking a parking lot and an area of construction which has woken my entire travel group up every morning. Had I known construction would be going on next to the property, I would have never chanced booking here and getting a unit in this location. I have already gone to the front desk twice, each time being greeted by apathetic staff who offered to move us to other units which also overlook the construction site or that we could go to another property and lose the cost of the entire 6 night stay. This experience has already greatly dampered our vacation and as a Marriott Rewards member, I will never stay here and will likely end all business with Marriott in the future

Room Tip: Stay away from Hale 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank akblinka
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

This was my second trip to this resort, I stayed there previously for one week with my family and we all enjoyed it very Much!!! Resort is right on the beach with many pools BBQ area activities for kids and what not... nice little market, good and reasonable resturant on the property, It was wonderful week!!

We were disappointed in Decmember 2011 as the resort was going through a major renovations especially the area where we were staying, construction guys were smoking, walking on the lanai's lots of noise, it was a hell let loose, I called up the Manager and told her I was disappointed because I was not informed of this and she promised she will find a better place to move us right away, but till 9 pm no one bothered to check and my elderly parents who were looking forward to sitting out on the lani in the morning and evening were stuck inside the rooms, I had to call next morning and remind them that I am really upset so the outcome was they took me to another room which was five feet further with the guys working on the cranes, it was no better place then were we were, I told her that was not acceptable and she promised she will find one and move us as soon as she can but this was already the 2nd night and no response finally the crew moved ahead the 3rd day and we were able to go out on the lani for rest of the 3 days.
Very unprofessional handelling of the situation left a bitter taste for for the resort and the only reason for us to go there second time was because we loved it first time.

Any way too much complaining... location is real great, lots of places to Dine, nice little market right outside the resort, there is a great resturant at the Hyatt next door, with swans swimming right next to an atrificial waterfall, there is a nice Chinese resturant at the CLUB house, Portions are huge and prices are reasonable. lots of activities to choose from!!
Kauai is the rainist Island in the state but Poipuu Beach hardly gets any rain and is great for the outdoor activities. I will not go back to the same resort partially becase of the mess up and I have been there twice for 2 weeks but I think it is great resort.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the center court, most people ask for Ocean view and Ocean view is real use...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Tarlok M
New Canaan, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We just returned home from our 8 nights stay at the Waiohi and had an amazing time. We traveled with 2 boys ages 9 and 12 who absolutely loved Kauai and the gorgeous property-the pools, the hot tubs, the beaches. It seemed to be a very family-oriented destination and our boys made lots of friends at the pool. Our two bedroom villa was lovely and very clean - we had an ocean view from the balcony in Hale 2. Especially loved the full kitchen and washer/dryer! Contrary to some other reviews, we felt there was plenty to do here - we took a Helicopter ride (amazing!), a Catamaran sail up the Na Pali coast - saw numerous humpacks and spinner dolphins, we snorkeled right down the beach and saw tons of colorful fish and a sea turtle. The Beach club staff were very nice and accomadating. Upon our arrival, which was very late due to a delayed flight, and they could not have been more helpful in our check in process. We also did take a drive to Princeville on the north coast and stopped at some cool caves and a pristine beach with HUGE waves - too dangerous to swim that day but wonderful to see. We took another drive to Waimea Canyon and enjoyed some Shave Ice at Jo Jo's where flavors were abundant! We went to a Luau at the neighboring Grand Hyatt which the kids loved. Most of our meals out were dinners - and some lunches. We used the kitchen for breakfast every day which was wonderful and relaxing. The Beach House and Keokis Paradise were our favorite restaurants for dinner. Net net, we would return to the Waiohi Beach club in a heartbeat - all the way from CT - and we are usually pretty picky about where we stay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank spellboundc5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,157 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club? Share your experiences!