“Place to stay...” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
South Barrington, Illinois
“Place to stay...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We came here part of incentive trip with kids. The check in process was great as took our request for a bigger room and best view with no issues. The lobby, the pool area are great places to hang out. They have a pool very close to the beach which is made like a lagoon with sand and rocks which is great for kids. They get to play in sand and water with fear of waves. Hammocks all around the area are great too.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank SidB
GHKSocialAmbassador, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Aloha SidB-

Mahalo for your review of your stay here with us at the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa.

We're thrilled to have had you and your Ohana (family) join us on your recent visit to Kauai. We're happy to hear that the keiki (children) enjoyed the lagoon, and that you got to spend some time in the various hammocks around the grounds.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back for your Kauai vacation.

Joshua Olayer - Social Ambassador

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,336)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brentwood, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I'm a very strong passionate fan of Puerto Rico. Our vacations have always been in the Carribean. The warm climate, tropical Rain Forrest, El Yunque, Vieques, Plaza Las Americas, Barceloneta Outlets, El Ricon, etc, etc, etc.

Well I had the task of being sent to Kauai, HI to work on a detail. All I can say is "Wake up!! There's more out there than the Caribbean! What a paradise!!! So clean, cool, and stunning !!!!! Man, I needed to take off those rose shaded sun glasses years ago.. The resort is a beautiful arcitectualy build property. The property rest right on the edge of the Pacific Ocean Coast. The layout was masterfully done... My only complaint here was " where are the Iguanas!" I'm kidding... After living in Puerto Rico, those creatures are the new form of "Roahes" anyway no iguanas on the Island The resort had activities for kids, a kids club for parents to get a small break.. "Honey, Daddy is going have to do some work for a couple of hours (Tee time at 9) and mommy has to run some errands (spa appointment 9:15) so these nice people are going to play with you and take you on an adventure." oh and the staff are all genuinely friendly and want to make ones stay memorable!

So what I'm saying here is, when you're planing your next vacation, think Kauai Hi.... You won't regret it... Forgot to mention the watercourse & slides...

Caribbean Who?

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Angel A
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

The best hotel I've stayed in all my life! Everything in there is expensive but it is worth the money. The service was good and most or their staff were friendly. The also care to make the atmosphere right and authentic from Hawaii! The pools are just amazing! You always feel relax in the middle of the hawaian nature.. The food was outstanding! I hope to go back there again!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank fedewaz
East Coast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

We just had our second - and likely last - visit to this property. We were celebrating a special anniversary and looked forward to a few relaxing nights, with particular emphasis on the lovely spa. Alas, that was not to be, because the hotel was almost entirely taken over by a sales incentive group....they had almost all of the rooms and over 1,000 people, while there were fewer than 100 of us regular folks. Let me tell you that this totally changes the dynamic and feel of a hotel, as the staff scurries around to cater to the badge wearing hordes, with check points and tents everywhere. We felt like the unpopular kids who weren't invited to the party.

I had booked a massage a few weeks before arrival and planned to add several treatments for the two of us upon arrival. I called for a few specific times with no luck, so I went to the spa to find that the convention had bought out the spa for the duration of the stay, meaning no luck for us. I was just shocked that we weren't forewarned of this and that one of the defining features of the hotel was not available to paying guests. Since it rained for most of our stay, this made the slight feel even worse.

I called the front office on departure morning to make the above point, since I knew I was going to post this review. I got a very lukewarm "sorry," and an offer to call the spa manager, which was not useful as we were leaving. No other comments or follow up. Oddly, the person who showed the most compassion was the lovely Claire in the dining room, who apologized for the strange experience and brought us a bag of goodies for the road.

Needless to say, our suite was very expensive and we wouldn't risk this second class treatment again. By the way, the convention attendees seemed lovely-the fault lies with the hotel for putting us in this situation. A group this large cannot help but be noisy.

In other aspects, our feelings were mixed. The property remains gorgeous, with a lovely setting and spectacular pools. It is massive, guests should think about if they'd prefer to be near the pools or spa, which are on opposite sides of the lobby. It is a bit more tired looking, which is probably to be expected. There is a touch of mass market cost cutting that wasn't present the last time. By way of example, there is a note in the bathrooms that linens and towels will not be changed unless requested or necessary; turn down service must be requested; cups for coffee are paper, ala Motel 6. I am also concerned that the concierge service has been taken over by Expedia. Although I had one request which was fulfilled professionally, Expedia is in the business to sell services and I feel concierge service should be at the heart and soul of all aspects of a hotel, not just tour booking.

Although the service was not at the level of the Four Seasons Wailea, which we visited earlier in the week, we met some wonderful staff members who have been at the hotel for decades and added special spirit. Our room was fine, but could get a bit noisy as the door to the hallway wasn't flush to the floor. In addition, there was a motion sensing light in the closet that was maddening. It kep flipping on and off, so I had to keep waving my hand so I could see in my suitcase.

My rating would certainly have been higher had we been there in more normal circumstances, but the front office indifference to the this stay will keep us from returning. Still, I can uderstand why so many people have enjoyed their stays at the Grand Hyatt.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank MickiD
GHKSocialAmbassador, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Aloha MickiD-

Mahalo for your review of your stay here with us at the resort.

While we’re delighted to have had you join us for your second visit, we do sincerely apologize that we were unable to exceed your expectations and rectify your concerns during your stay. Please know that it is always our goal and intention to ensure that all of our guests are able to enjoy the resort, facilities and experience the same level of service from all team members. We appreciate the opportunity you have provided to us through your feedback. Your comments and concerns have been shared with our Front Office as well as senior management here at the resort and will be used to improve the level of service we provide to our guests.

We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay in further detail, and welcome you to contact Joshua Olayer at your leisure. We look forward to speaking with you and will hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort.

Joshua Olayer – Social Ambassador
Milwaukee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

The resort is beautiful, the staff are all very helpful, and really go out of their way to make your stay great. I am so glad we picked this resort, I was told the hotel was 92% full while we were there, but it never seemed busy any where. Lots of room by the pools and the resturants. It is a bit pricey but well worth it. Th gym is great, lots of equipment and there is even a full size lap pool inside the spa. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patty B
Aloha Patty B-

We're delighted to have had you join us on your recent trip to Kauai, and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the kind words you shared about the resort, service and facilities.

We look forward to having you join us again.

Joshua Olayer - Social Ambassador
Loudon, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

One of the best of ocean resorts from pools to restaurants. Lobby area is a work of art. Food and drink is very good but quite expensive even for Hawaii. I miss my expense account!

• Stayed February 2012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

We just got back from our trip and stay at GHK and I couldnt wait to write a review and express how happy we are that we picked this resort. Its everything and beyond what we had hoped for! We stayed there for 6 days and we still didnt get to experience everything one can on that beautiful island. I dont want to repeat what other people already said, I want to mention maybe some helpful tips to those who have never been to the island or that hotel before.
We traveled with a 3 y.o. and heard it was a very kid friendly resort. Its true! There are a lot of kids and a lot of space for them not to bother relaxing adults. There is adult only pool that doesnt allow kids under 14 so its always quiet.
Kid camp is really fun too. You have to book it in advance though, because they hire people for that and if no one books it stays closed, as we find out one day by just sitting at the door. It opens at 9. Its $80 with lunch from 9 to 4 and kids get to do a lot of arts and crafts, watch movies, play games and go to the pool on the slides. They also offer half day hours up to 10pm! Its really great if its a rainy day, cause there is nothing for kids to do if it pours and an hour drive to waterfalls doesnt seem as interesting to them as playing with other kids at camp. So keep that in mind.
We also fond out that you cant get to any activities on the island without a car! You must be at least 25 to rent a car. Taxi is very expensive, makes much more sense to rent. You get it for 24 hours and if you book it from like 2pm till 2pm you basically have two days to explore the island. It also makes more sense to rent it the day before you departure and plan some sight seeing that day, this way you can drive yourself to the airport ( which is $45-50 plus tip one way on taxi), they have free drop off for hotel guests.
Unfortunately 2 days of stay it was really rainy, so we searched the internet of things you can still do on the island. There is a train ride at Kilohana Plantation ( about 15-20 min ride from hotel), its especially fun to do with kids, but we saw a lot of couples on it as well. Its $18 for adults and $14 for children. The ride is 45 mins and you basically get a tour of all the interesting grounds and gardens and at the end of the ride there is a whole bunch of wild animals waiting for food. The crew will give you bread and you get to feed wild pigs and their piglets, chickens, goats, sheep, watch them fight and watch kids and adults scream like this is the best thing they have ever done! Its fun and perfect for a rainy day.
Right next door there is a Koloa rum factory, where adults can get free rum tasting and learn all about Hawaiian rum, that actually tastes pretty good!
From there its a short ride to two waterfalls. They say that during the rain they are even more spectacular. Unfortunately we only made it to one, the first one - Wailua. It was breath taking! You dont need to hike to see it, its a drive up look out.
You can find out all the directions from the concierge desk, they will be happy to help.
Another thing you can do on a rainy day is to go to the hotel spa. I have read a lot of reviews about this spa, but I didnt want to "waste" a sunny day on it, as I go the spa a lot everywhere else. However when it rained all day I decided to try it. I had a signature massage done 50 mins - $160 plus tax and 18% tip ( which you can increase or decrease if you want). It was very good, but not GREAT as many people said it before. Im sure a lot depends on type of service and who does it. Again mine was just good, same as I can get at home for much less, so if you have other things to do as a must on your list dont worry if you dont have enough time to do this one.
The drinks are expensive everywhere on the resort, but they leave you an option to purchase them yourself at the hotel store. They sell everything! All you have to do is ask for a cup with ice and make your own. I dont mind paying for mixed drinks, but where Im from we drink them 3 times stronger, plus if you have 3 or more of those ( dont get me wrong really good tasting) drinks you might want to skip the lunch as they prolly will equal half of your daily calorie intake. I personally bought a whole bunch of wines and kept them in a fridge and had a cup with me everywhere I went, pool, beach even bar and a restaurant and no one ever told me I wasnt allowed to come in with my drink. If you want to bring a bottle to the restaurant however there is a $25 cork fee. The prices in the store are maybe a $1 or 2 more than in your local town home store.
We also find out that if you are interested in booking a Na Pali coast trip do it from a kiosk by the salt water lagoon, its $10 cheaper per person than if you book it through a hotel. Its simply because the representative from those companies directly book you without a commission.
Highly recommend the Luau show esp if you have never been to Hawaii before, its fun! We went to the one in the hotel on our first day and we loved it and def would even see it again!
The only thing that bothered my a tiny bit was the lunch, as there is only one place that cooks it so its the same exact menu no matter where you choose to eat. And it lacks healthy choices. All salads and wraps are pre-made in plastic boxes. I wish hotel had at least one more restaurant where you can get different menu and open other restaurants earlier, considering all the spectacular views you can get from them during the day!
Sea view terrace has a different menu that you can substitute but it doesn open till 4.30pm so I had to push my lunch till that late if I wanted a freshly made salad. And then have a very late dinner.
We dined 4 out of 5 nights in Tidepools and each time the food was amazing. Skip the starter and go right to their fish dinners, they are to die for. My husband is a very spoiled stake eater and he had their stake every single time we went there. Even on the day of our departure we stood by the door ( it opens at 5.30 pm) and made sure we got to taste it one last time. Its pricey but worth it.
And one last thing, I wanted to mention the management of this hotel - they really truly make a difference and care about their guests! We had a very minor incident at the Sea view Terrace, and my husband just wanted to let the manager know because at that time we really felt like we didnt want to stay there any longer and had to leave to go to another restaurant. And we didnt want to make it a big deal, but when you get such a spectacular service every where on the resort you get somewhat spoiled. The manager was so sincerely apologetic and I guess he made notes on our account or smth because when we went to Tidepools after, we were treated like royalty and it took as a minute to realize why. Not only the management wiped out our bill completely at the Sea view terrace, we got free appetizer at Tidepools that wasnt even on the menu, I just asked if they had anything resembling the traditional pooled pork you get to taste at Luau, so the waiter came back with a bowl of pooled pork and at the end surprised us with a desert that we also didnt get charged for. We almost felt bad since it wasnt THAT big of a deal. We thought that was over the top "apology" for what had happened to only walk into our room the next day and to find a basket of treats and beer and wine in the fridge and a personally written note from the manager of the Sew view restaurant. At that point we were just speechless. We had to find our way back to the hotel manager to personally thank him!
Overall the best vacation of our lives, we are already planning another one to see the other islands and come back to our favorite resort to finish it of!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Evi J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,179 reviews
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!