“A thousand stars”

Leilani Farm Sanctuary
Ranked #1 of 31 things to do in Haiku
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Reservations are required. $30 per person tax-deductible donation (for adults and kids). Home to goats, turkeys, rabbits, donkeys, cats, geese, pigs, tortoises, guinea pigs, ducks, deer, chickens, a cow and a dog, Leilani Farm Sanctuary is located on a lush 8-acre farm in Haiku, Maui. It is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization created to provide shelter and care for rescued animals, and humane education to the community. On the outer, most visible level, Leilani Farm Sanctuary lives and breathes upon a unique piece of rolling land, eight volcanic acres on a green Pacific island. But its superb location and jaw-dropping natural beauty are but reflections of its lush inner essence. The sanctuary is truly a paradise for animals and humans alike.
Reviewed July 12, 2017

Several friends and I went to Leilani Farm Sanctuary for my birthday weekend. I could not have had a happier birthday! We actually did some volunteering which we had planned ahead with Laurelee, the founder. But for the purposes of this review, I will say that our Saturday morning tour was a fantastic kickoff to the weekend. The best word I can give our experience is HEARTWARMING. You can feel the love and happiness on the farm. The animals follow Laurelee around and share pasture together. Everywhere you look is a beautiful feast for the eyes of flowers, trees, barns, and peaceful and content animals (okay, there were a few rascally goats and deer, but it takes all kinds!). It was so soothing to come to a place where animals are treated with kindness and love. The children on the tour were the most fun to watch. They got to feed and pet animals while learning about their personalities. I can hardly think of a better way to teach kids the important values of respect and kindness towards others that we share the earth with. I would give a thousand star rating if I could.

1  Thank Lindaanimals
"deer"
in 26 reviews
"veronica"

Reviewed July 8, 2017

Yesterday we went on a tour of Leilani Farm Sanctuary. There was me and 16 others ranging in age from 7 years of age to grandma who keeps her age private. Although the adults in the group were snapping pix like crazy as they had never been up close and personal with many of these animals, it was the children that were most fun to watch as they viewed and sometimes interfaced with the animals. Each stroked a chicken for the first time. We had friendly Charlotte, the pig, who followed us for a while until she submerged herself in her mud bath. The children did like the guinea pigs because they were small and easy to pet. I asked one of the youngest and grandma which animal they liked best. It was the little white goat that gently followed us around in one of the pastures. This farm is not a petting zoo but rather an educational experience to see how deer, sheep, a cow, donkeys, ducks, geese and others would chose to live. I guess that is why Maui is called paradise, and at Leilani Farm Sanctuary it appears to be paradise for all.

Reviewed July 2, 2017

Beautiful place and fun trip for the kids to see animals on vacation. Since we live in a farming community there wasn't a lot of novelty, though the deer were fun to see. The kids agreed that the cats while we waited for the tour were the best and they happily would have just stayed loving them.

As for the message warning....this is not just a rescue / sanctuary tour. Your children will be exposed to heavy suggestions that anything non-vegan is cruel. Hunters are cruel, farmers are cruel, etc. It is one thing to distract the children and discuss her mission with parents but I thought the content was too much for the kids there, primarily 2-7 range.

Also, when questioned on why the hens were not roaming free (which didn't bother me at all) the founder's answer was confusing for kids. She explained that when they were free they would nest and hatch chicks....which she believed was counter to her rescue mission. She didn't want there to be more chicks. So what does she do with the eggs? Well, she is vegan and doesn't want the cholesterol (not concerned with the potential chicks), so the eggs are fed to the pigs.

Still a great trip for kids when Maui has few options for those under 5, but be prepared and talk to your kids about the content, especially if you are not vegan or know farmers or hunters, as they are left with negative feelings about their lives, which is not why you are choosing this activity.

Disclaimer ...I grew up on a farm, work with the farmers, my kids live on a farm and adore animals.

6  Thank Bonnie F
LeilaniFarmSanctuary, Manager at Leilani Farm Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2017

Leilani Farm Sanctuary provides care for rescued animals and humane education to the community. The deer and most of the goats lost their mothers to hunters. The cow, turkeys, ducks, and other species were saved from being butchered for human consumption. Our responsibility is to share the animals' stories with visitors and inspire compassion.

The farm is truly a "Sanctuary" for rescued animals and a center for education.

Reviewed July 1, 2017

Six of us visited the Leilani Farm Sanctuary. Three generations. It was a wonderful experience. We enjoyed learning about all the animals and interacting with them. I was already a vegetarian before visiting, but now my 11 year old daughter is as well. Definitely a must see in Maui.