“Exhilarating ”

Ranked #5 of 10 Tours in Hana
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children
Reviewed January 22, 2017 via mobile

After driving the road to Hana, this is a great way to see where you have arrived.! You will see Haleakala, the ragged shoreline with its secret coves, and most importantly, the waterfalls your plan to hike while in Hana. We flew up the valley of Ohe'o with its 7 sacred pools, and even saw George Harrison's estate.

Hans, the pilot, has years of experience and is extremely calm and smooth. The glider has a built-in engine so you never have to worry about returning to the airport.

All reviews
in 40 reviews
"maui"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed January 17, 2017

This was one of my favorite experiences from our honeymoon! My husband is an aviation junkie and loves everything planes. So when we arrived at the Travaasa Hana and saw gliding on the list of activities we jumped on it! There are two options - 30 minute tour of the island or a hour tour and glide over the volcano. We chose the hour long tour so we could see where we hiked earlier in the week from the air.
We arrived at the Hana Airport and Hans, the pilot, greeted us. Unfortunately, the glider is a two seater, so we had to go one at a time. My husband went first. When he landed a hour later, he had nothing but amazing things to say. I went up next and from someone who has been sky diving, paragliding, parasailing, and on all kinds of aviation adventures, this was a top experience! We flew over the ocean, near the cliffs, and glided over Haleakala. (Hans is the only one allowed to go over the crater because he doesn't make any noise)
Once you reach over 10,000 elevation, he turns off the engine and you glide down. The peace, gorgeous views, and the company are all wonderful. I told him I love roller coasters so we did a few nose dives and some tight turns to add to the fun. He also let my husband fly the glider for a little bit - cherry on top for him!
It's not every day you get to see Hawaii, let alone see it from the air. It was breathtaking and so much fun! Hans has some great stories to go along with the adventure - ask him about his most interesting flight, it won't disappoint ;)

Thank you Hans for adding this experience to our honeymoon. Next time we are in Hana we plan to go again!

1  Thank jawelborn1
Reviewed November 20, 2016

My husband and I went on consecutive glider rides and were not disappointed. Hans was very friendly and persistent. On both trips he had some difficultly finding an updraft to top of the crater, but his persistence paid off and we made it. The views are spectacular and the glide back down was awesome. Definitely recommend it unless you are a nervous flyer. Just relax and enjoy the views. Even if the weather doesn't seem to be the best, give it a try. We saw rain, sunshine, clouds and rainbows all within the one hour ride.

1  Thank Dundeana D
Reviewed September 27, 2016

Last Thursday I flew with Hans in his power glider. We took off over the ocean and he gave me the best tour ever of Hana and the Haleakala crater. His knowledge of the area and his expertise as a pilot gave a wonderful flight as well as a fantastic tour of the area.
Thank you for the highlight of my trip to Maui !!!
(make you reservation on line if able as cell phone service in the area is sketchy, but if not, go by the Hana airport and see him in person as he is usually there early every morning) Mahalo (thank you) Hans