“Unusual photos that exceed the imagination. The ONLY aircraft allowed to glide silently over and into Haleakala.”
Review of Skyview Soaring

Skyview Soaring
Ranked #5 of 10 Tours in Hana
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed July 3, 2017

I knew such flying would be incredible, and I was not disappointed. I planned my entire Hawaii vacation around my wish to fly with Hans even though I had never before met him or flown in a moto glider. The only insight I had was I had flown sailplanes so I was motivated to fly with Hans. I called him many months in advance because I am 6 ft – 1 in and 245 lbs from Yoga and lifting weights. Weight and balance is very important to small aircraft. Fortunately Hans verified we could fly together. At 245 lbs I am at the absolute upper limit of weight as a passenger for the moto glider that Hans flies. Headroom and leg room was fine but no extra. This is certainly worth knowing in advance. Call Hans beforehand.

Hans is an incredible, experienced, and safe pilot too. Let his judgement decide when it is safe to fly. He knows what he is doing. Please give yourself at least two days when you might be able to fly. Tricky weather conditions, particularly gusty crosswinds at Hana Airport, might demand one reschedule. Hans is wise and will keep you safe. If he recommends you postpone, then listen and thank him. One has to be flexible with schedule in order to have the best and safest experience. Cell phone reception is difficult for everyone on Hana. It may take a few cell phone calls to connect with Hans. This is not his fault. He will return your calls.

I stayed 4 nights in Hana because the Hana Road is such a beautiful, challenging, and time-consuming drive. It took me 2 ½ hours both coming and going, not including stops. This flexibility and planning allowed me to have two full days when I might be able to fly with Hans. No sense going all the way to Hawaii (and even more challenging, remote Hana) and not get to fly. I was lucky with the weather and I actually flew both days on his longest flights.

My girlfriend and I both flew the high-altitude flights to 11,000 feet over the Volcano on Saturday, 6 May 2017. The Dimona moto glider has just two side-by-side seats, so Hans takes one person at a time. This climb and altitude gain to the Volcano rim takes at least an hour. I was so thrilled by the experience I then flew a lower altitude long duration flight with Hans the next day. I was so able to enjoy the Hana Road and the Waterfalls when I was not driving a car on that oh so narrow and twisty Hana Road. The waterfalls pictures and aerials of Hana were spectacular on the low-altitude flight. The crater pictures from the high-altitude flight were literally out of this world, they look like something from Mars the Red Planet.

Last tip for photographers: Shoot pictures through the smaller and open side vent so you avoid the inevitable internal reflections and loss of sharpness from the Plexiglas canopy. Hans will maneuver the Dimona to position you for the photograph, just talk to him through the headset and let him know what shot you need. Hans is a great guy. Whatever you need he will accommodate you as long as he deems it safe. What a unique and spectacular experience. Few people will do this. I am so grateful I have done this. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

All reviews
in 40 reviews
"maui"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed April 11, 2017 via mobile

A wonderful flight above Maui. Extraordinary views of coastlines, waterfalls and of course the Haleakala volcano. And a motiveless glide down to Hana from 11k feet. Hans was a treat of a guide and a pro pilot. Thanks my man!!

Reviewed February 16, 2017

My wife and I both did the one hour flight with Hans, and it was well worth the trip. You won't get a better view of the island than when you are gliding 11k feet above it. Hans makes the ride very enjoyable and is more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the island, the glider, or almost anything else. I'd definitely recommend springing for the longer 1 hour trip, as the half hour trip doesn't seem like it would be long enough to truly experience the trip. Just be sure to wear sunglasses and a hat, as it's very bright up above the clouds, and the sun is baking your head!

Reviewed February 15, 2017

I cannot recommend this experience enough!!! Both my fiance and I went up with Hans and absolutely loved it. This was the best thing we did while we were in Hawaii!!! GO!!!!!