“Lovely way to break up the Hana Road trip”
Review of Hana Bay Hale

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Hana Bay Hale
Ranked #10 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Hana
Creswell, Oregon
“Lovely way to break up the Hana Road trip”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We were thoroughly delighted with our suite at Hana Bay Hale. We arrived between winter storms and found it to be clean and comfortable, with a lovely view of Hana Bay. Although sparsely furnished, the one bedroom suite is huge with vaulted ceilings, beautiful wood floors and a whole wall of windows looking out on the bay. The plumbing and counters look to have suffered some from constant transient rental in the tropics, but the bathtub is deep and the hot water plentiful. Each unit has a large private deck and gas grill. The galley is tiny, with a microwave and full size refrigerator, but only an old (and kind of scary) two burner hot plate and a decidedly scary appliance that might have been the advertised toaster oven. Truth is, you have to be flexible if you want to cook in any rental unit. It was certainly adequate for reheating the "plate lunch" we had bought at Tutu's just a few blocks away..

The only real complaint I had was the lack of reading light in the living room. Although there is a very comfortable chaise lounge and sofa and a nice big dining table, the only light is from the overhead way up in the vaulted ceiling. The lamps by the bed were fine but were plugged in in such a way that they couldn't be moved. It seemed strange to have so much space but to be forced to spend the evening on the bed because of the lack of light.

Other than that, we were quite pleased with our stay at Hana Bay Hale.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dayton
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We stayed at the Hana Bay Hale on Friday, 3 Feb 2012. Four adults. One night. After reading some of the other reviews, we brought along a fresh can of Raid Ant and Roach killer, but we didn't need it. The accommodations were "basic" but adequate, and reasonably clean. The bed and sheets in the master were fine. The sheets on the hida-bed were not clean, but we'd brought our own sheets and so used those. The hida-bed isn't something an adult would want to sleep on, but we arranged the couch cushions beneath the fold-out mattress, and it was fine.

Upon arrival, there was no-one around. My wife called the proprietor, but got no answers. They had charged our card and e-mailed us the name of the unit. The door was locked, but my wife, undeterred, went around back, scrambled up onto the deck, and the back door was open. So, we moved in. No one ever showed up, and my wife was never able to contact the owner. Just got the message service. However, we left the place clean, had already paid, and left a tip for the maid (or owner)...whomever cleans it.

We'd heard about the BBQ and wanted to cook our own meal that evening, after the long and winding road out there. It worked fine and we enjoyed a lovely evening out on the small deck overlooking the ocean and Hana Bay. The lights attracted small flying insects, but two geckos perched on the beams above feasted on the bugs while we enjoyed our hamburgers.

All-in-all, it was fine. Perfectly adequate for our one-evening stay-over in Hana. We liked the open feeling of the place, the high ceiling, and the skylight. The kitchen facilities were limited, but they had a full-sized refrigerator, which was nice.

Room Tip: There are only four rooms or bungalows, and they all appeared to be about the same. The photos on th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank gdp1
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 3 November 2011

My husband and I travelled with another couple and stayed in the two bedroom condo. Both rooms had a king bed which was very comfortable and the place was very clean. It was a perfect place for us. We loved the location and the deck overlooking the ocean. Sure there was a road between but it was quiet and easy walking to the beach. The place doesn't claim to be on waterfront . We had a very enjoyable stay and would recommend the place to friends, The only item missing out of the fully stocked kitchen was cereal bowls. There were flowers waiting for us which we really liked too. It is a great place for the money and location.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PamandMarv
Whitehorse, Yukon
Reviewed 28 October 2011

It looks as tho some previous posters weren't happy, but I was very pleased. Yes, there is a road separating the property from the beach, but it's about a 3-minute walk to Hana Bay, and the road is very quiet after the day-trippers leave for the day. The view from the deck is beautiful, and can hear the waves from the bay. Some of the bathroom and kitchen fixtures are a bit dated, but everything was very clean. I found it to be good value (lodging in Hana can be very pricey!), great central location for exploring, and appreciated the gas barbeque on the deck! I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in Kukui (sp?) suite, a one-bedroom unit.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank WhitehorseTraveller
Paia, Hawaii
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I've lived in Hawaii for almost 10 years and rented many vacation rentals for myself when visiting other islands or areas, and for our many visiting relatives. This was among the worst. We were not looking for luxury, but for a clean and comfortable rental for my family. First, the pictures on the website make it appear MUCH closer to the ocean than it really is. It's on a busy road, across the street from the ocean. Power lines are the first part of the view. It's only a short walk to Hana Bay, though, which is great.

Second, the unit was old and dirty. We were in the 2BR unit, which was sold to us as a place that would sleep 6 adults and one baby. The two bedrooms were ample size, but the pull out couch was literally the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept on EVER. I slept on the floor the following night. The floor was dirty and sandy when we arrived, and the unit was dusty and in disrepair. There was mold in the shower. The pack and play that they provided for my son was moldy and there were two cigarette butts in it. Thank goodness we brought our own! The two screen doors were off of the hinges, there was a big hole drilled in the front door of the unit, and covered with tape. There was a hole in the bathroom door, and the hottub never got above 80% - more of a tepid tub. In addition, the bannister on the deck is very loose and one of the "rungs" of it was broken and pieced together with duct tape - a big safety concern for my one year old son! The dishes in the cupboard were greasy and still had bits of food from the last people.

I called the management office and emailed while we were there, but didn't get a response until after we returned. The response was basically that I was a snob and no one has ever, ever complained before. I'm all about casual local rentals, and that's what I thought I was getting. This place sucked, and I would NEVER recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank anne l
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We arrived and thought the house was fine - a little dirty, but quite spacious, near the beach, a deck with a view - seemed to be a good deal for the price. As the sun went down, however, it was a different story. We started watching a movie in the living room and began noticing little bugs flying through the air. The number of bugs multiplied until we realized that they were dozens of flying ants, all coming in through the same hole in the ceiling. We were mortified and quickly sealed up our suitcases, ran into the bedroom, and needless to say didn't sleep very well. We crept out in the morning to find 3 humongous cockroaches in the kitchen. We complained and only got a small refund and a "hey, this is the tropics" excuse. I would never, ever stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank idlewildmerv
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I chose this place because of how remote Hana is & the only hotel was crazy expense. We did eat at the hotel though because that seriously was the only place to get breakfast. Now that was expensive!! The price for this place was way cheaper than anywhere else for giving a pretty good view.

I don't think they mention or show the road between you & the ocean, but it's certainly there. Luckily it is pretty much just the locals that travel on it so really not much of a distraction (everyone owns a ton of dogs & take them with them apparently).

I really didn't think this place was dirty. I suppose it could have been cleaner, but try owning a rental in a place that remote. Good luck getting decent cleaners & maintenance folks. I read the most recent review. Those things may have been true, but I didn't notice because we were only there one night & didn't cook there. The shower wasn't terrible.

Hana is an amazing place & everyone is even on "island time" more around here than on the rest of Maui. This just seems like a more authentic Hawaiian town if you ask me. The only thing I could possibly complain about was the door separating us from the other renter was paper thin, but the sound from the ocean just about drown out the neighbors chatter. We spent our evening sitting on the lanai & it was so peaceful watching the sunset.

The owner was especially nice & easy to deal with. I would rent this place again & would recommend to friends.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank angluvs2travel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
17.3 km away
20.9 km away
Peace Of Maui
Peace Of Maui
#2 of 2 in Makawao

Been to Hana Bay Hale? Share your experiences!