“Dirt and filth is what I found at the Hana Hale!”
Review of Hana Bay Hale

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Hana Bay Hale
Ranked #10 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Hana
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Dirt and filth is what I found at the Hana Hale!”
Reviewed 7 November 2010

It's too bad because the Hana Bay Hale is in a lovely location. I thought the price was great but one should not have to put up with filth in order to get a good price.
There was mold on the bathroom shower curtain and all over the tiles. Grime was covering all walls and the soap dispensers had ground in dirt. I don't think they have ever been cleaned...ewww! The windows and blinds were filthy and I'm not going to even describe what was on top of the refridgerator.
There was grease all over the cooking utensils and toaster oven. A baking pan inside that had never been cleaned and full of meat grease. The gas grill did not work.

One a possitive note? I did not see any Cock Roaches..not a one!
Just a little effort on the managers part to clean this unit would have made my stay in Hana a dream come true.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank guardianpet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Diego
Reviewed 26 May 2010

I stayed in this facility recently at the recomendation of a friend.
First let me say... no.. this isnt a 5-star hotel... but.... this is an ISLAND... you are hard pressed to find continental 5-star standards ANYWHERE in Maui...... then throw in the factor that its at the end of a 1 lane rd (highway to hana) that takes an hour or more and doesnt support large vehicles for transporting Walmart size quantities of home decor goods. Island folks live a more simple less materialistic life. And while this place is fantastic... no... it is not decked out with Nieman Marcus bedding and William Sonoma cookware.
As for the beach distance argument... my friend and I measured it... 62 yards to the edge of the sand... another (approx) 12 yards to the water (depending on time of day I suppose). It is not even enough to be considered a short walk. You could almost trip and fall off the front porch and be there.
The shrubs cover the street.... there is a power line... but while it may not make the perfect postcard... it certainly isnt taking away anything from a relaxing view of the ocean.
I never once heard any noises except for the ocean.... birds... and those damned geckos! (lol) A few did get in our unit.... but we did leave the door open while we were gone... so... what can I say.
As recomended in a previous review I did stock up at Costco and made some pretty great meals. It was great not having to buy plastic ware to eat off of and with.
As for cleanliness.... I found nothing wrong with the place. Yes the cabinets are older... but again... I wasnt looking for this to be perfect and 5-star. Was it gross?? No... not at all.
Our floors were clean... our bathroom was mold free... the fridge was cleaner than mine at home... the sheets smelled fresh.... there was seating for 7? not including the bed area....(maybe more)

If youre looking for the Ritz Carlton... do not come to Hawaii..... If you are looking for the 4 Seasons... Dont come to Maui.... If you are looking for a place (at least 3-star) that gives you options... makes you feel like youre staying at a friends house instead of a fussy hotel and you like the flexibility of cooking your own meals and stocking your own fridge... you will like this a lot.
For the record. I find it interesting that folks have commented on the "garage sale" kitchen items... but yet havent said ANYTHING about the fact that with the exception of a tiny convenience type store up the road there isnt ANY place to buy food or supplies or william sonoma style cooking implements at least until you get back into town by the airport (more than an hour away)

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alwyzcureus
Franklin, TN
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We're pretty easy going travelers. We don't expect a five star experience when we aren't paying for it. But our experience here was worth warning other travelers about. The room/house that we stayed in was so "open" that the noise from the street, the wind coming off the ocean, and the wildlife made sleep almost impossible. We also didn't feel too safe. The locks on the doors were pretty loose and in the morning when we were packing up to leave we saw one of the biggest cockroaches (in the kitchen we've seen in years of travel. Granted, bugs are a part of Hana and some can actually be beautiful (but not in your bed). I'd avoid this place and move on down the road.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SnoopnMak
LA, CA
Reviewed 19 December 2009

The Hana Bay Hale has a good location with nice views within walking distance to town. There were a few things I really liked but there were a number of offsetting things that brought the whole experience down a few notches. I really liked the views off the lanai, even though you are across the street from the ocean, and that it was centrally located. Now the negatives, first off when we arrived we were met by some very large cockroaches and ants. The kitchen utensils were sub par (I agree completely with the previous poster). There was a surprising amount of loud traffic on the road below us and there are a couple of dogs behind the unit that barked a lot in the morning and evening. If the owners would invest a little bit of money updating and cleaning the units, it would improve the overall experience for future guests.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank beachman77
oregon
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Hana Bay Hale is just okay. It looks okay, the rooms are fairly large, but if you scratch the surface you feel like the owners are trying to get as much money as they can without putting much money into it. Limited places to even sit. "Hot tub" an inflate job. The kitchen is stocked, but mostly with items that make you feel like a garage sale was cleaned out to stock it. What was most off-putting was the very deceptive picture from their website, You are not "bayside" (most your view is trees, telephone poles, a main road, then the bay) and you will need to walk a few hundred yards to get any access to the ocean.

• Stayed May 2009
2 Thank bhoppy
Chantilly
Reviewed 26 April 2009

Hana Bay Hale Ocean View Sweets
[--]
The wife stayed and I overnight when it was to late return to Lahaina at night. We relaxed completely at the cottage. Price is nice

1 Thank Seidomike
Lombard, IL
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Arrived directly from the airport on Friday night and stayed 2 nights. It was dark when we arrived and we were having a heck of a time with the front door. Called the number given and they were very nice about the tricks to the sticky door. I picked this place because it had king beds in each of the 2 bedrooms. The bedrooms were kinda plain but very functional with dresser, 2 nightstands and comfortable bed. The air flow through the entire suite was wonderfull. All the floors are wood and with all the screens/windows open you could feel a bit of dust on bare feet. The kitchen was well appointed with everything we needed. The bathroom was a bit unusual. The first door led to the sink and toilet. A secondary door led to the room with the skylighted shower. Showering was a bit tough for my husband and his bad back. There were no places in the shower to place shampoo or soap. They either went on the floor or on the little cabinet outside the shower itself. The deck/lanai is very spacious with a lounge chair, outdoor table with 4 chairs, side table with 2 additional chairs, grill and jacuzzi. Due to the outside temperature we never tried to get all 4 of us into the jacuzzi. That might have been a tight fit but DH took a soak and loved it.

The property is indeed across the street from Hana Bay but you cannot see the road through the nice bushes planted right out front. The area directly across the street from the suite did not contain any buildings. OK - it became a running joke with us - but there are power lines in front of the building. Did they block the view? Come on - it's 3 lines a total of about 2 inches. They didn't disturb us one bit. Didn't see a single gecko or citter in the unit which kinda surprised me. I expect this staying anywhere in Hana. Location is less than 5 minutes drive to Hana Bay Beach Park and the Hotel Hana. Would rent this place out again in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hoages
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
17.4 km away
20.9 km away
Peace Of Maui
Peace Of Maui
#2 of 2 in Makawao

Been to Hana Bay Hale? Share your experiences!