“Good "Bucket List" Experience”
Review of Mountain Riders

Maui Haleakala Self Paced Bike Tour
US$150.00*
Maui Haleakala Sunrise Bike Tour
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Here's the challenge with writing a review for an activity like this; most people only do something like this once so there's no frame of reference. Additionally, it sometimes is hard for the reviewer to separate the experience from the guide service, unless the guides are super fantastic or super disappointing.

So let's start with the experience. It's a hundred bucks a head, plus $20/head tip (unless you're a cheapskate or you end up with a moron as your guide). Worthwhile, even if you don't do the sunrise tour.

Our group was 8 people, 6 of whom belonged to our group so we basically knew we could hang together. Problems can arise with any group activity when you get one rogue, or one turtle, who somehow inhibits the progress of the group. We didn't experience that and we enjoyed the ride, even though we ended up rain-soaked.

You'll see the summit crater, then pedal down through 6 eco-zones. Down through eucalyptus and lavender, through a ranch, down to the town of Paia, 28.2 miles away. And it's all downhill except for 200 yards. You'll see horses, cows, goats, sheep, lava fields and if the clouds haven't socked you in, breathtaking views of the island of Maui.

Is it hard. Not really, because it's all downhill. If anything, we wish we could've ridden even faster, but...safety first.

The author of "Maui Revealed" whom I usually trust, had given these guys a bad rap. A lady on our tour, however, had used these guys 2 times prior. Our drive was Mike and our guide was Julio (Mahalo to you both). They both did an excellent job. The company doesn't appear to be the most disciplined or organized, and yes, the $1200 bikes with steel drum brakes brought in from Yonkers do exhibit some wear. What did you expect? People are riding these things down a volcano! In the end, like many local tour companies, your experience is probably going to be more dependent on the guides rather than the company, unless you're traveling with Abercrombie & Kent. And A&C ain't exactly doing $100 bike rides in Hawaii.

Any issues with bikes, including braking sensitivity, were easily remedied. Look, you're riding a 1-speed bike. Downhill. How had can it be? Not too hard unless you're not paying attention. So watch the road, enjoy the scenery and have fun. You won't forget it!

2  Thank Tuxmiller
There are newer reviews for Mountain Riders

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Pop's and Owen did a fantastic job in taking care of us on this adventure. It truly can be said that those that really love their work, will bring that forth and share it with those around them. I would ride with these guys anytime. They were all about fun, they were all about adventure, and they took great care in ensuring our safety without compromising the excitment. Anyone taking this tour, will not be disappointed!

Reviewed 15 November 2011

According to our guise Travis, Mountain Riders is the only company that takes customers all the way to the beach after biking down Haleakala. They were very courteous and professional and everyone had a great time on this trip. It started with an early morning pick-up from the condo, but wanting to see the sunrise, that's expected. We stopped by their office location for a quick cup of coffee and muffin as we waited for the other group to join us. The van took us to the top of Haleakala, we watched the sunrise, then headed down to just outside the National park boundary. The gear they provided was warm enough and overall the trip was fun.

Reviewed 14 November 2011

I took the Sunrise Bike Ride - you are taken up to the summit of Haleakala to watch the sunrise, the go back down to approx 6500 feet & bike down the mountain. While the experience was once-in-a-lifetime & I am very glad I did it, the company didn't exactly deliver on it's promises. The reason I chose this company was because they said the "ride the full way down to the ocean" But we didn't. We stopped in the town of Paia, less than 1/2 mile past where we saw a competing company stop. In addition, I didn't think the bikes seemed that well maintained. Many had rust on them & the first one I was given was very wobbly & the brakes did not fully stop the bke, even when I squeezed the all the way. The second bike had a weird clunking sound. Another person on the tour also switched out his bike.
Our driver was great, but the guide was very hyper & didn't really listen to people's questions or comments. Also, we were told that we'd be going 18-25 miles per hour, but we were later told we reached speeds of 40 mph. With all the switchbacks, etc., this speed would not be ideal for someone who is not a regular bike rider.
Also, they didn't really give much in the way of information about the area, geography, etc. When I was watching the sunrise, there was a group next to me with another company & their guide was giving them a ton of interesting info.
There was only one stop made for pictures, just a couple of miles from the beginning of the ride.
I am giving this 3 stars due to these issues, although the experience of seeing the sunrise at 10,000 feet up & riding down a mountain really was incredible.

Reviewed 2 October 2011

This company was by far the choice for my husband and I. The excursion was broken down into small groups, from what I hear no more than 12-15...ours was only 8 including the both of us. Travis, the guide, was very informative and easy going. The van driver was very courteous, and always obliged the picture requests. I would not recommend renting a bike and going it alone if it is your first time down Haleakala...it could be dangerous even if you are experienced. Mountain Riders is the ONLY company that starts at the top and goes 26 miles all the way down to the hippy town of Paia. Heed their advice, and dress warm...warmer than you think you would need to in Hawaii. At high altitude and early in the morning it can be quite cold. The van that follows through the duration of the ride allows you to shed clothing as time passes and the temperature rises. There are many other companies to go with, but no other has such small groups and goes all the way down. A must do on Maui!

1  Thank Stacy K