“OMG!”

Ranked #13 of 23 Dessert in Kihei
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Ok, so there is shaved ice...and its all pretty good. But I assure you this shaved ice is like no other! They start by offering you a coconut or vanilla ice cream base, they pour the shaved ice, which has a consiststency I have never found before.....almost like snow, not hard and jagged like ice. They put your flavor on, but you have to choose out of like 50 different kinds. You can combine some to make deadly combinations, they have a few suggestions. They then top it witha cream liquid and it tastes like a float ( like a pop and ice cream float). It is heavenly. Big portions for an alright price. 4.00 for a shaved ice is well worth what they dish out! I had lychess...with cream flavor on top. Very good if you like lychees, but I sugges rootbeer!

Reviewed January 18, 2012

We went here because of the recommendation from the Maui Revealed book. They were spot on! The ice is so smooth and the syrups really taste like what they are supposed to. They are not too sweet. The service was so friendly, they made recommendations, told us their favorites...and no extra charge for ice cream on the bottom or cream on the top. They let us taste the adzuki beans too(although we decided they weren't really for us). We had shave ice at 2 other places while we were here and this was by far the best!

Reviewed December 26, 2011

We really enjoyed the shave ice here! The ice cream on the bottom from a local creamery was divine. The price was more than reasonable and they have lots of flavors to choose from. Definitely will return here!

Reviewed December 11, 2011

Local Boyz is by far the best shave ice. We've tried others, and nothing else compares...It's the lightest and fluffiest ice and their flavors are tops!

We visit Maui every year for 10 days, so we think we're a little familiar with Maui and all of the hidden gems...Local Boyz is near the top. I am not kidding, our nightly ritual is to go there--never dessert in a restaurant, no matter if it's Maui Tacos or a $200 dinner at the Grand Wailea...Local Boyz is our thing to do every night--rain or shine, sickness or in health, every night of our stay.

Many places say "everything extra is extra"...Not here. Everything extra isn't extra...Your baby, pretty momma or papa nui sized shave ice includes ice cream if you want it, Kauai cream on top, some sort of bean concoction that I'm yet to try, or my wife's favorite--gummy bears. Want extra syrup (like I always do)...No problem--the girls will put on as much as you want of as many different flavors as you want. Don't forget to tip them too--they work hard and seems like many people don't tip them!

With this glowing review, it might sound like I'm a shill for the place. Certainly not--check out my 100+ reviews of hotels in China, restaurants in Las Vegas and sushi in my home town.

In closing, save yourself the trouble...Go to Local Boyz and only Local Boyz. Avoid the shave ice at your hotel, the aquarium or a roadside stand and drive to the crappy mini-mall-turned-flea-market and get some shave ice!

Reviewed October 1, 2011

I have shave ice pretty much every day when I vacation to any Hawaiian Island. This was my fave in Maui! Awesome texture and flavors. My best combo was pina colada with ice cream at the bottom and cream on top, yum! If you've never had shave ice before, take yourself and your kids, they will thank you! And you will crave it on the Mainland!

Been to Local Boy Snack Shop? Share your experiences!