“For a no-frills Maui vacation”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Nani Kai Hale

Nani Kai Hale
Ranked #47 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
New York City, New York
“For a no-frills Maui vacation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I stayed here with a few friends, and split among us, this was a great deal on paper.
Pros: right on the water; located within easy distance of both Wailea and Lahaina; friendly owners/residents; inexpensive (considering the amount of living space).

Cons: older building; mostly older people living/staying there (it's quiet, but can feel kind of like a retirement home); beach isn't the best for swimming; not within walking distance of most restaurants or stores; on the far north end of Kihei; bathrooms left a lot to be desired (i.e. handle on shower fell off every day, tub needed a good scrubbing, etc.); sofa bed was so uncomfortable it was absolutely unusable (they shouldn't advertise it as a second bed -- at least in the unit we were in); ant problem in the kitchen.

I was pretty pleased with the condo until I visited friends at a resort in Wailea (not the fanciest, but still pretty nice). They paid the same price per night for their room (via Priceline) as we did for the condo, only they were on a great beach, with luxurious amenities and a really nice room. Next time I go to Maui, I'll probably go that route, since we didn't end up using the kitchen all that much anyway. For a family, however, a condo like Nani Kai Hale might work better.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank pourtant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed In # 306 on a business trip and found it clean, spacious with a great view.
I was particularly impressed by the layout of the unit which allowed it to be divided into two separate studios each with a individual entry door.
What really made the difference was the service. The manager Tony was on call at all times when we needed him. He went beyond what we would normally expect and provided us with extra beach towels and boogie boards.
Great experience! Great people. Thanks Tony

Room Tip: we have stayed at Nani Kai before and found it wise to take a unit in toward the front of the buildi...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank farideh s
Dunkerton, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

My wife and I visited Maui for the 3rd time, this time without the kids. We were looking for a good location with beach access, comfortable living quarters, a nice view of the ocean, and amenities that would allow us to prepares some of our meals. We were not disappointed with Nani Kai Hale. The property was accurately represented and is located right on the beach. The beach is not crowded and often you might be the only ones in the water for a mile or so. The condo location is off the grill and beachfront proper, but still maintains a nice view of the Pacific. The lanai is covered with the deck above and located on the north side of the building which keeps you in the shade for half of the day and is quiet. You can see the sun set off the lanai. Your neigbors are a sod farm which creates no noise or commotion. The building has a nice elevator and there are carts available to help with bags or groceries. Parking was very ample and right next to the building. Nani Kai Hale is located just off the confluence of two major roads and therefore allows access to the entire island easily. There is considerable traffic on the roads, but that is the nature of the beast on Maui. There are few major roads and everyone has to take them to get anywhere. If you want the touristy thing, you can drive down Kihei road south from the condo. Anything you might want can be found there. I would like to conclude by saying that Jennifer was very nice to us and made sure that we were up to speed with everything one might need and answered any questions that came to our mind. Internet and cable TV was there and worked perfectly. I would very much recommend this property for anyone looking to come to the island.

Room Tip: Choose Room 404 Rolf and Jennifer's place
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CSimo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We were on Maui in early December and spent 5 nights in Unit 208. The one bedroom condominium was clean, comfortable, with a very comfortable king size bed. The two bathrooms and the kitchen were well-stocked. It was as good as was promised by the booking agency. The view from the balcony was very nice, the lawn by the beach and the walking beach were great. The air conditioner in the living room worked well, but with higher temperatures the bedroom would most probably need a separate air conditioner. We arrived after dark and had some problem finding the building because the address is on a main highway, but access is from a different unnamed small street. The sign on the building is visible only during the day. Once we found it, after 3 stops to get directions, everything else was fine. There was always enough parking and it was very quiet the entire time we were there.

Room Tip: We were satisfied with this unit and were not offered any others in this property.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
MauiCondoMarina, Manager at Nani Kai Hale, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Aloha! Thank you for your review and helpful feedback. As the management company for this unit we appreciate any feedback to help make our guests experience more enjoyable. We will be sure to take note of the things that you have mentioned. We are here on island and offer 24/7 help. We have an after hours line and the on-island representative can assist you, including providing directions to the property. We are very pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay at nani Kai Hale unit 208. When booking your next stay here on Maui please consider booking with us here at Maui Condo and Home. Mahalo!
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

I tried to book a stay at Nani Kai Hale unit #306. I made a deal with the manager, Tony, over the phone approximately two weeks before our arrival. We agreed that I would send a deposit to secure our condo. I sent the deposit via 2nd day air (the fastest method available) in order to submit our deposit in a timely manner. The arrangement was in place and we were planning on staying in his place. One week after booking the property, I called him to make sure that he had received the deposit and he told me that he hadn't even bothered to pick it up yet from the post office. He also told me that another party was trying to book it in the meantime. I told him that I was the first person to try and book this place but he informed me that if the other person's credit check worked out that they would get the place. After 3-4 days of Tony stringing me along I finally had to book a different place. I now come to find out that he never bothered to pick up the deposit at all and it was brought back to me as "return to sender" because no one came to claim it. This condo may be very nice, but the manager is very dishonest and is just looking to make a quick buck. I see that I am not alone in my opinion of 306 as there are other negative reviews regarding this unit.

Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
8 Thank packerfan25
Springfield, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed at 309 and you could not have asked for anything more. Had everything, quiet, well maintained, beautiful view 180 degrees off the balcony, laundry and trash disposal on every floor, fantastic heated pool, great walking beach, comfortable outside chairs, great place for cooking out, easy recycling accessibility. Would stay there if I could.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the 09 numbered rooms, 180 degree view of the beach.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Crash H
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2011

My husband and I stayed in #204 in February 2011 and our son & his wife stayed in #303. Nani Kai Hale's location on Sugar Beach is great. While only a few of the units are oceanfront (numbers ending in 9; the smaller the end number, the farther back toward the road), and the building is perpendicular to the beach, a large open space next door allows good ocean views from all the units. Several busy roads intersect just behind the complex, and that does cause some unwanted noise at times, but generally did not bother us & the location is really centrally-located- easy to get to other parts of the island. Others have mentioned that this area is very windy but we did not find that to be a problem at all. There is a nice bbq area & lawn w/ lounge chairs, etc., as well as a small pool, in front of the complex. Folks gathered here each night to watch the sunset - just awesome! #303, rented from a private party, was great! Furnishings and finishes were in really good condition & very comfortable. Lots of beach goodies (chairs, mats, snorkel gear, etc) were provided. Newer tvs in both living room and bedroom. And, although the layout is the same in this unit and #204, the price for #303 was $50/night less than 204. A great bargain for the location! #204 rented through a real estate management firm, was ok, but furnishings and finishes are quite in need of updating. Old couch, chair and tv in living room; old mattress & no tv in bedroom; older fixtures in bathrooms. This one should have been lower cost than #303 instead of the other way around. Despite the drawbacks, we were pretty comfortable in #204 and loved being close but not on top of our family. I would definitely come to #303 again for the price.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family