“Great Hyatt Destination Hotel, however not a tropical respite”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 March 2012

High quality hotel, good workout facility on the beach (but still behind walls and locked doors). Not a tropical get away, more like a visit to a resort in a big city. The beach is not the type you will lay out on, the waves are too rough for kids to play on w/out a super watchful eye, and the beach is very narrow. Expect to lay around the pool area and rarely look out at the beautiful ocean. The hotel is probably the best option for kids in the area (fun pools and penguins/animals), beautifully landscaped, rope bridge over pools, great waterside, tiki torches at night, interesting/dreamy lagoons. Parking is a nightmare. Food options are limited for a family. Def feels like Hawaii but falls short on the relaxing getaway and cultural experience you may be in pursuit of. If you are choosing between this hotel and another resort in kanappalli (sp?), I would stay here.

Room Tip: King room and requested 2 rollaways for our family.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Rainforestrunner
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Reviewed 24 March 2012

To start, I will not leave a review, unless I feel I can leave 5 stars, this however got me so mad I had to. First I rented a Ocean Front Club Level Room, I required 2 things of this room. 1 it had a nice bath tub for my wife 2. we could have an ocean view. We could only afford to stay 2 nights at 600 a night. Our condo we had for 10 days, cost less then a 2 day stay at the Hyatt. Our wedding reception ended and we checked in to our room. The first thing I noticed we were in a Handicap room. The shower head came to my belly button and had no tub, only a roll in shower with a seated bench. I called down "systems down" of course they were. I was instructed to call back at 6am to switch rooms. I set my alarm call at 6am. "nothing" available. I was willing to downgrade and be reimbursed the difference. I was told they had "nothing available" call back the next day. Called the next day, "nothing" we checked out after 2 days. I was never happier to go back to a $79 dollar a night condo. I wrote a long letter to the Hyatt. Calico the Guest Service Manager from the Hyatt Maui called and said she was sorry. We were put in the ONLY Handicap room on the entire floor and other rooms were available. I spent so much time worrying about when to call and trying to change, I couldn't fully relax. She gave me some Hyatt points said she was sorry and also said next time we come to Maui to call her and she will "take care of us". Well guess what, we are going this April for our 1 year Anniversary, so I called 2 times, left 2 different messages. No call back. A wedding night is something you enjoy once (I hope) and for someone to patch up a total mess with points and false promises is not ok. Calico is a joke in Customer Service. I have only had positives at all the Hyatt's, I have ever stayed at. This may sound caddy and ridiculous, I wanted everything to be perfect for my wife on our Wedding night. It was far from!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask if you are in a Handicap room before you check in!!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank SURFSUP1011
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear SURFSUP1011,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're very sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced during your stay at our hotel. We understand honeymoons are a very special time and hope the next time you come into our hotel you're able to experience the true Hyatt touch. We're glad we were able to get in contact with you directly. Please feel free to contact us if you need any future assistance.

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Just returned from Spring Break trip with the kids. We had a full ocean front room, nice typical two double bed layout with enough room for a twin cot. Room was furnished nicely, nothing over the top, but not cheap either. Typical resort room features included a minibar, snack center, large in-room safe, large flat screen TV.

The hotel is open air. So when you leave your room, you are walking into a hallway that rings an open air atrium. The natural breeze that blows through there is refreshing, as is the soothing sound of the surf from the open balcony.

Several food venues are offered. The breakfast buffet is adequate, cost will be $85 for two adults and two kids with tax/tip. I've eaten at many good restaurants, so I would rate the food as good not great. Japengo is their beachfront Sushi restaurant open for dinner. We ate there one night and had a nice variety of items. I would definitely avoid the kids' California roll. It is a roll-your-own operation, and it is a mess. My son opted to have the chef remake his in the traditional style rather than the hand roll style that I personally believe to be too difficult to make/eat simply because it is so big.

Poolside dining is fine if you can find a server. Seems that there were too few servers working for the crowd that was at the pool.

Kids loved the kids' pool area, though I thought it was small. It has a small slide for the little ones, and a fully enclosed "lava tube" slide for larger kids (48" minimum height). The hot tub is adjacent to the kids' area, so they were running back and forth to the hot tub and the pool. The larger main pool is nice with a basketball goal mounted to the "rocks" and a grotto that you can swim through.

I agree with other reviewers about the small beach. A short walk down the Ka'anapali beachwalk from the Hyatt is a much larger beach, at least 50 yards wide. The Hyatt beach seemed to be at best 10 yards wide.

Kids activities are limited to kids camp. Unlike other Hyatt resorts, there are no organized activities for the kids not enrolled in camp. No PM movie, no smores, no face painting, etc. Our kids were in kids camp for two sessions. They absolutely loved it! They got individual attention from a counselor (glorified babysitter) who made sure they had a great time.

If you are looking for a nice resort to spend by the pool, this is certainly a fine choice, just get down to the pool to claim your chair early in the morning. The staff was extremely polite and always seemed to bend over backwards to fix any problems. There were a few not relevant to this review and all handled with top priority. I can't compliment the staff enough for making us feel special.

Parking was a bear if you try to park in the first lot. Cars are literally six inches apart. With a minivan, I finally gave up and parked in the back lot by the spa where the spaces are wider. It saved me so much aggravation and the extra two minute walk wasn't that bad.

The Regency club was nice, not great. We actually preferred the Regency club at Hyatt Lost Pines in Bastrop, TX better. The Regency club didn't have much in the way of "take out" snacks. Snacks and nuts were in a large bowl rather than in individually wrapped portions. There were no lids for carrying out drink cups to the pool, and the happy hour drinks were not easily available. That being said, the Regency club did have the best internet access in the property which brings up the one truly negative aspect of our stay.

While I was on vacation and could have worked if I wanted to, my wife had to work. Our internet access (WiFi) was non-existent in our room. We had a 1 MPS signal. They actually put a WiFi router in our hotel room to improve the situation. Despite the great 56 MPS connection we then had, nothing moved. Web pages would not load. My wife could not send out e-mails. I spent 1-1/2 hours trying to download a movie to my tablet and only pulled in 27 minutes worth of viewing time. Though the hotel knew they had internet problems and were exceptionally gracious in helping us with the problem, it was a disaster for my wife. We happened to upgrade to the Regency Club and found they had a lightning fast connection with equally good data throughput. That made the difference for my wife and she could actually get work done. And that movie that took so long to download, I was able to download the remaining 70 minutes of viewing time in less than 15 minutes.

Overall, nice place, great staff, bad internet. if internet access is important to you, I recommend you call and check if it's fixed before booking.

Room Tip: Low floors with full ocean view may be obstructed by foliage.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank txjsr
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We started off our Hawaiian vacation at the Hyatt Grand Regency in Maui. First parking. If you don't use valet, and self park, it's tight!!! By that I mean available spaces and the WIDTH of the spaces, so be CAREFUL. YOu walk into the atrium and you are just taken back by it all. It's all open to the sea breezes. Full size palms, and tropical birds, even penguins. We didn't dine in the restaurant, it just seemed to pricey for us, but we did eat at the pool bar, and had some very tasty sandwiches and burgers and beverages. For breakfast, we didn't do the buffet, we're not huge on breakfast. We did go the the little coffee kiosk they have though. I don't know WHAT it is with these hotels and Starbucks or the over roasted, bitter, burned coffee. It was the ONLY coffee available. Can't I get a NORMAL everyday cup of coffee anywhere?? The pool area looked quite nice, of course when we were there it was raining. There are several shops, and even a little mini Macy's. The room was spectacular to me. Some posters have said it was old, yes it could use a bit of updating, but it was still VERY nice. The bed are platform beds, I goes go along with the polynesian theme. But very comfy. VERY soft towels. Overall, it was a lovely way to start our vacation.

Room Tip: There is a difference between, ocean front and ocean view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank CrystalBeachMom
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

It is always a pleasure to hear when our guests have a wonderful stay at our resort. I am pleased that you found your room to be spectacular. We have great guestrooms that offer some of the most amazing views. It sounds like you had a good experience at Umalu our poolside bar. Thank you for choosing to spend your vacation at our resort. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 21 March 2012

While one of the nicer hotels on kaanapali beach it is showing its age. Rooms are small and dated and bathrooms especially have that 70's feel to them. Also the beach in front of the hotel is eroded away and you have to walk several blocks to the Weston to find a swim able area of the beach

Nice pools but restaurants are uninspired. Particular point of annoyance was the crummy lounge musicians who unfortunately were also heard in my room every night.

The irony of Maui is how it is a beautiful island but most of the hotels are jammed into these kinds of places that have a Miami beach feel to them

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My husband and I stayed from March 11 to the 16h. Upon arrival at 11am, we were blown away by the driveway lined with blooming bougainvilleas. We were greeted by both doormen and front desk staff (Jeff was wonderful!)and we both got a lei. Our room wasn't ready, but that was fine with us. We were just happy to be off the plane. We left our luggage with the front desk and walked around to admire the wonderfully maintained grounds. The landscaping was just gorgeous. Lots of resident animals there also, such as African Black-Footed Penguins, Chilean Flamingos, African Black-Crowned Heron, Parrots, many kinds of ducks such as Mandarin and Whistling Ducks, ponds filled with Koi. You could attend the feedings daily at 9:30 am. The children at the resort had a really fun time watching the animals at feeding time. The resort has lots of shops-a jeweler, Sunglass Hut, a Macy's (clothing only), and some boutiques. Nice touch.
The weather was just beautiful...low 80's everyday and lots of sun. Sometimes a cloud would pass with some sprinkles, but it was over in about 30 seconds. We were lucky with the weather because the locals told us that the weather had been awful the week before!
We were assigned a room that had two balconies-one balcony overlooked the golf course and mountains and the other room had a nice view of the grotto/pool and ocean. We could not have received a better room. It was well-appointed with a good assortment of toiletries from Spa Moana, the hotel's signature spa. The kind bed was more of a platform bed..a bit lower than what we are used to, but perhaps that is just the way it is here in Hawaii, since this island does have a lot of Japanese influence. Not a problem for us, but maybe someone with bad knees or a bad back may not want a bed that's low. The bathroom is a bit tight with the shower and toilet being close to one another; however, they are located in the same area with a privacy door (the door was pretty worn at the bottom and hard to close if you were on the toilet--I suggest a pocket door for these areas). The vanity area was separate so you could both be in the bathroom area at the same time if you wished.
Housekeeping did a fine job, and we always made sure we left a generous tip to show how much we appreciated them. If you needed your room done sooner while you were heading out, all you have to do is call them and request it--they begin housekeeping at 8:30. We never had any issues at all. Top notch!
We were given a bottle of champagne and appetizers which were delicious on the first night of our stay--this reeled us in even more! On the 3rd day of our stay, we drove the road to Hana, which was a long 8 hour day. When we came back to the room, we were surprised with a plate of gourmet cupcakes and a bottle of wine compliments of the in-room dining manager (thank you Annie!). We were so appreciative of this considering we came back to our room dirty and exhausted.
We ate at U'malu which had great food. Food on Maui is expensive, but no more than when we went to Alaska or Puerto Rico. 2 very large Angus certified burgers with fries and 2 bottles of water was $43. For breakfast we opted to get Starbucks coffee and yogurt every morning at the kiosk by the koi pond. --we are not big breakfast eaters. Everything we ate was very good. We had a rental car so we were able to sample some eateries in Lahaina and elsewhere.
This hotel has lots of activities to choose from, but I really wanted to try to make my own lei (I'm a sucker for orchids!). They have classes at noon on Tues and Thurs (20 min long)...and I enjoyed doing this. They also have hula instruction--lots of other things too such as a luau. Love love love!
This is an older Hyatt property, and we were concerned by some reviews that we read here when we booked. Honestly, I don't know what all the complaints were about. I think this was a great property, and they really went out of their way to make our stay an enjoyable one. This hotel and its staff have proven to us that they have earned our repeat business and we will be back someday. We've raved about it to our friends and co-workers too. Top notch service is something even the newest, fanciest hotel doesn't always attain. This one did, and more.

The question is...When can we move in?? lol

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DiamondGirl419
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review on your recent stay at our property. I am so happy that you had such a great experience. We want our guests to have the most memorable experience while staying with us. I will be sure to let Jeff and Annie, along with all the other staff mentioned, that you found their service to be top notch and very friendly. It sounds like your experience from your room to the different amenities and activity was a complete success. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. We look forward to having you back for a future stay!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 20 March 2012

The resort was fantastic poolside service was great and the slide was loads of fun.

My only suggestion is to have the hotel change the recipe for their nachos, the cheese whiz was awful!

• Stayed: February 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
37.2 km away
2.1 km away
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!