“Worthwhile Adventure”

Start Me Up, Sport Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Stop Wishin' and Go Fishin'! Join us aboard one of Start Me Up Sport Fishing's 42-ft. custom sportfishers and have a hand at catching the fish of a lifetime. We provide all of the equipment you need while out on the azure blue waters of Maui - bait and tackle, ice chests, Coast Guard licensed and certified captains and deckhands with decades of experience fishing Hawaiian waters. The only things you need to bring are sunscreen, beverages (no glass bottles) and a few snacks. We offer a variety of Maui fishing trips including 2,4,6,8 and 9-hour trips. Call us today to book your Maui fishing adventure!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed March 8, 2018

I pitched in my share for the boat rental with 5 other guys for an 8 hour fishing tour out and around Lanai. We had a beautiful early morning start and brought plenty of food and drink for the day. I have to say that I was a little bit skeptical about the fishing methodology at first as I’ve only ever topwater fished for bass and pike back home in shallow water. Topwater fishing with lures just streaming in the boat’s wake in extremely deep water seemed pretty fishy to me, but it didn’t take too long to realize that we weren’t just being taken for a ride.

These guys will be the first to tell you that only God can help you catch the fish! lol And they do actually tell you that… So, off we go anyway putting distance between ourselves and the shops of Lahaina. We saw plenty of whales to start off the day as February is breeding season around the islands. About an hour into the trip I settled down for a nap in the cabin. It was short lived as we had two fish on when I awoke as we reached the yellow can where the strait meets the deep blue.

30 minutes and three Mahi mahi later we were on our way again. Two were a respectable size and the third was a 50.2 pound trophy sized Mahi who was the reason for the full 30 minutes in that same spot. If we had finished up there I could have been happy, but we carried on looking for more fish. We hooked into another fish a short while later, but it threw the hook. Later on I reeled in a Wahoo (Ono) and that was it for the fish, but we carried on an enjoyed the rest of the trip and the good company of Ross and John.

These two guys were suited fine for us. We chatted throughout the entire trip. Ross drove for most of it and John paid a heck of a lot of attention to us and to the lines. It was an entirely worthwhile trip! I can understand some people being frustrated with not catching anything, but we fished the same route that others have complained about and had a perfectly AWESOME time with some good sized fish and the guys are so laid back - it’s really hard to find anything to complain about here!

So, if you’re in the Lahaina area and looking for a deepwater fishing cruise, these guys have more than enough space for up to 6 adults and more fish tales. Make sure you bring sunscreen, food and drink, and a relaxed attitude. There are plenty of shops to have a late lunch or supper at if you can’t eat your catch right away.

Cheers guys! Thanks from the 6 of us from Canada!

All reviews
in 58 reviews
"denny"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed February 14, 2018 via mobile

We had a great Whale watching trip with them. They put us on a bunch of great photo opps. If you don’t want to be crowded and have ruined pictures from 150 people being on your boat, consider a charter with these guys!

Reviewed February 11, 2018 via mobile

This was my second fishing trip during my stay. First time with Capt Timster and Matt. My experience with these guys was first class all the way. Capt Timster called me the day before to talk about what we wanted to fish for and what our preferences were. I’ve been on dozens of fishing charters across the world and can say that is the first time a captain had called me to discuss fishing strategy and preferences. Based on our conversation we went out early and headed for the FADs. Quickly hooked a big bull Mahi Mahi. Tried to catch some small tuna for bait but no luck so headed to next. At next FAD caught two nice sized Mahi Mahi. On way back to first FAD had a billfish hookup but quickly spit the hook. Second hookup about 30 minutes later with a nice blue who spit after about 5 minutes. When we got back to buoy, another blue had followed one of our pitch baits all the way to the boat. An amazing sight to see a big blue 10 feet from the boat. Unfortunately for us it was not supposed to eat that bait so he quickly broke the line. Had to head in after that but 3 hookups still isn’t a bad day on the water with Mahi mahi already in the bag.

Crew: I don’t know the other captains of this company. To be honest, I’ve gone fishing with this company before but none of the other 2 captains stood out the way Capt. Timster did. I do a lot of fishing though I’m always trying to learn and both Capt Timster and Matt were very helpful in letting me learn some of the techniques they use to target pelagics. Matt was first rate as a mate and ensured our day was great.

Equipment: The equipment on the boat I was on was top of the line. 130, 80 and 50 class reels for trolling, spinning tackle for baitfish. Matt inspected the leaders, backing, and crimping each time before setting out the spread. I have only seen a few mates on charters do that before but in a fishery where you can have 500lb blues an up at any time, that professionalism can be the difference between hanging one at the dock and talking about the one that got away. The plastics were all in great shape and the pitch baits were all perfect. The spread was well set and each lure had a purpose. (A word to those who don’t fish a lot, if your curious about why a captain pulls a certain lure, or why they fish it on a certain blade/wake, just ask them. I always do and you can learn a lot that way.)

Boat: The boat was very clean and in great shape. A testament again to the crew. There is an indoor area, a bathroom, and seating up top to take in all the great views. I guess the only downside, if you can call it that, is the cabin doesn’t have A/C like some other boats. But other than using the bathroom, I didn’t spend any of the 9 hours indoors.

Despite not landing the blues, it was an awesome day on the water with Capt Timster and Matt. I plan to return and when I do, I will call ahead to fish with them. Looking forward to it.

Reviewed January 30, 2018

Only reason giving them a three is because we had no bites. Later found out it was a lousy day as no other boats caught anything either. I did hook a rope and after leaving it lie on the deck a crab crawled off so I guess that was something. Good crew and fun four hour ride. Seas we a little rough that day but we like that.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 8, 2017 via mobile

I read many reviews before selecting my charter and must say after going out today on the “Action” Boat from the Start Me Up company with Capt Jonny and deckhand/first Mate Pono I can’t speak highly enough of their charter and service.

Firstly make sure you book at the dock as majority of the booking companies are not even in Maui and charge you a booking fee (undisclosed but it’s approx 15%). The man in the office/hut can give you a good idea of weather and what’s been biting.

We left at 2.30am with 5 of us on the boat (my wife included) and headed 30miles to the fish attraction buoys - it’s a slow steam out as there is little point arriving before the sun comes up so despite the early start you can snooze for a couple of hours.

The boys had the rods running just before the sun came up and we had a hit in the first 5 minutes. Unfortunately it spat the hook so we missed that one. As soon as it was looking slow Pono changed up the lures and we started slow trolling for Tuna. We hooked up a big one but again after a good battle it pulled the hook only metres from the Boat. We then hooked up another briefly to no avail. At no stage did the boys seem uninterested as I have read in many reviews - they were there to catch fish.

We switched again to some dead baits and a live bait and caught half a dozen small yellowfin tuna - not the size we were after. They were all released Bar one which We kept to use as a marlin bait and proceeded to another spot. Pono changed the lures again to the largest size and hooked a good blue marlin (approx 125lbs) or nearly 60kgs. I was lucky enough to land this one and the boys talked me through step by step as it was my first marlin! It was released and is good to fight another day.

We then pulled up to another buoy and caught 4 or 5 Mahi Mahi (dolphin fish), my wife caught a rainbow runner and the boys helped her land it from start to finish.

It was now time to head back so we reset some lures and away we went for the 2 + hour trip home. A few minutes later we were on again - the boys spotted a fish following our skirts and teased it into the lure. One of the Canadian lads on our trip landed it and it was a shortbill spearfish (fairly rare). He was also released to fight another day.

That was the end of our luck as for the next hour it was quiet.

I couldn’t speak highly enough of the crews efforts - after reading reviews I think you need to understand that they are not targeting small fish they are big game fishers and it can be very hit and miss. Every time the bite went quiet the boys would swap out lures or change to baits. They were extremely knowledgeable and Pono worked overtime swapping out lures and rods.

So if your reading this, head down to the dock and Ask to go out with Jonny and Pono on the “Action” you will not be disappointed!!

Cheers Glenn