“Wow! Amazing!! Go Timster and Matt!!!”

Start Me Up, Sport Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Stop Wishin' and Go Fishin'! Join us aboard one of Start Me Up Sport Fishing's 42-ft. custom sportfishers and have a hand at catching the fish of a lifetime. We provide all of the equipment you need while out on the azure blue waters of Maui - bait and tackle, ice chests, Coast Guard licensed and certified captains and deckhands with decades of experience fishing Hawaiian waters. The only things you need to bring are sunscreen, beverages (no glass bottles) and a few snacks. We offer a variety of Maui fishing trips including 2,4,6,8 and 9-hour trips. Call us today to book your Maui fishing adventure!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 4, 2018

After careful research, my family and I booked a 6 hour charter with Start Me Up, Sport Fishing for my son's birthday. We had a few conversations prior to starting our trip about what happened with the fish we catch. It was explained to us that WE decided what happens for the most part. It was again brought up by our Captain Timster and first mate Matt, that if it is not edible or will deplete an already stressed population, they tag and release.

This is my first time sport fishing but my husband and two boys have done it before (my husband has the most experience out of all of us). I can say that no matter what level of experience you have, this charter is great! Matt,and Captain Timster explained everything that they would handle and everything that we would need to do. The communication was excellent. I did need a few reminders as this was my first time and they were so positive and supportive the whole time.

I know that there is no guarantee for fish and that this happens to everyone ( my husband has been on a few trips like this). What you will be guaranteed is a very clean ship (this is coming from a borderline germaphobe). The bathroom was immaculate. Captain Timster said that they clean with bleach. Matt cleaned the deck after every catch during our trip. Additionally, he kept changing lures and checking the lines.

The other thing you can count on is the friendly and supportive nature of the crew. I can only speak for the crew that I had, of course, but from the sales team on the phone to Shorty who helped us at the dock, they were very friendly and helpful.

I just wanted to note that this was a trolling charter. It was explained to us before we took our trip. I see a negative review about this. My husband said this is the way you fish for big game fish. This isn't bottom fishing. Ask questions before booking.

That all being said, we had a great day! I am writing about it only to let you know that they are very experienced. Every fish that we brought close to the boat was brought on board by Matt in expert manner. He was also able to juggle between my boys when both their lines hooked up and both fish were brought on deck!

On our way to the harbor, Captain Timster spotted whales. He slowed down the boat to try to give us a longer look. I cannot stress enough how genuine and courteous the crew was. They really wanted us to enjoy our vacation. From beginning to end, this trip was simply amazing. My son had the birthday of a lifetime! Thanks guys!!

1  Thank wgrillo32
in 58 reviews
"denny"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed March 19, 2018 via mobile

Went out with Captain Tim and Matt. Great communication. Tim changed our time to get us on the fish. I’ve gone out fishing a few times and don’t consider myself a pro in no way. By far the best boat I’ve been out on, very nice and comfortable. Everyone was so helpful with my daughter and I explaining everything. I would highly recommend captain Tim and Matt!!

Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went on a 6 hour trip. In the 6 hours we didn’t have one bite and the crew did no changes at all to try different things. We have fished a lot and I have captain a lot and when nothing is happening you might want to try changing speed, bait or areas but not much was tried on this trip. I think this company should think about offering a refund of say $100 if you don’t catch anything and then there might be some incentive to be trying a little harder.

3  Thank ronaldy260
Reviewed March 8, 2018

I pitched in my share for the boat rental with 5 other guys for an 8 hour fishing tour out and around Lanai. We had a beautiful early morning start and brought plenty of food and drink for the day. I have to say that I was a little bit skeptical about the fishing methodology at first as I’ve only ever topwater fished for bass and pike back home in shallow water. Topwater fishing with lures just streaming in the boat’s wake in extremely deep water seemed pretty fishy to me, but it didn’t take too long to realize that we weren’t just being taken for a ride.

These guys will be the first to tell you that only God can help you catch the fish! lol And they do actually tell you that… So, off we go anyway putting distance between ourselves and the shops of Lahaina. We saw plenty of whales to start off the day as February is breeding season around the islands. About an hour into the trip I settled down for a nap in the cabin. It was short lived as we had two fish on when I awoke as we reached the yellow can where the strait meets the deep blue.

30 minutes and three Mahi mahi later we were on our way again. Two were a respectable size and the third was a 50.2 pound trophy sized Mahi who was the reason for the full 30 minutes in that same spot. If we had finished up there I could have been happy, but we carried on looking for more fish. We hooked into another fish a short while later, but it threw the hook. Later on I reeled in a Wahoo (Ono) and that was it for the fish, but we carried on an enjoyed the rest of the trip and the good company of Ross and John.

These two guys were suited fine for us. We chatted throughout the entire trip. Ross drove for most of it and John paid a heck of a lot of attention to us and to the lines. It was an entirely worthwhile trip! I can understand some people being frustrated with not catching anything, but we fished the same route that others have complained about and had a perfectly AWESOME time with some good sized fish and the guys are so laid back - it’s really hard to find anything to complain about here!

So, if you’re in the Lahaina area and looking for a deepwater fishing cruise, these guys have more than enough space for up to 6 adults and more fish tales. Make sure you bring sunscreen, food and drink, and a relaxed attitude. There are plenty of shops to have a late lunch or supper at if you can’t eat your catch right away.

Cheers guys! Thanks from the 6 of us from Canada!