New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
SanJose
“Enjoyable Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Like a lot of the larger chains, the Westin Maui offers a convenient location and lots of pool/ocean recreation opportunities. We upgraded for an ocean view with breakfast. For the view it was worth the small amount, and when you look at the price for a simple breakfast, the breakfast and view more than makes up for the incremental cost, especially if you don’t have kids. The pools are great with what seems to be 3 groupings. There is a separate pool with spa area for adults, a separate pool area for kid activities, and a separate pool area for the rest of us. We booked it through Alaska Air vacations and paid a reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,248)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Just finished 10 days at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa. The 5 star rating is almost entirely because of Aliko (sp?) who recognized our disappointment with the room we were originally given on the 3rd floor of the ocean tower. We ponied up for ocean view to make sure we had a good spot. However, I guess since it was part of an "escape package" (better deal?), it ended up being hardly what you could call ocean view. You could see slivers of the ocean through all the trees and resort grounds so it wasn't technically false advertising but we were very very disappointed. Also, since it was a two queen room, there was very little space for us to get around - my wife is pregnant and we brought our 3 year old who slept in a crib so it was really cramped. I went to the front desk right away and was not mean or pushy but said we were not happy with the view and that we felt cramped. Aliko went to work and found us a great room in the beach tower on the 7th floor. It was AMAZING! It had an awesome view, was a single king room and had about 100 sq ft more room than what we had originally. We are SOOOOOOOO thankful that Aliko did this for us. It is because of him that this gets 5 stars. In reality, it was what we were expecting for what we paid (even with the "escape package" - it wasn't cheap).

The positives: Aliko (as I said, he made this trip for us because of the room change/ upgrade). In addition to Aliko, Carlito and Elena at the host stand for breakfast were always very very sweet to our family. In addition to the people I mentioned, the property, pools, beach, grounds, rooms (ocean view in the beach tower) are really really great. I've heard others talk about the tired feel or the property/ rooms and that this isn't Westin quality but I've stayed at other Westin properties and this is definitely up to par. The beach location couldn't be better - right on the beachwalk that goes past Blackrock/ the Sheraton on one side and past the Hyatt on the other. Totally beautiful. I'm all about the beach and this place delivers. Close to the best beach I've seen in Hawaii (I've been the Big Island, Maui 5 times, Kauai, Lanai, and Oahu). By best beach in Hawaii, I'm really talking about all of Ka'anapali but right in front of the Westin is no better or worse than any other place in Ka'anapali unless you want to walk right out of your hotel and snorkel which is pretty good at Blackrock (which again, is not a far walk from the Westin). The pools and slides are beautiful, great too - plenty of room to swim around through waterfalls, into a little cave pool area, etc. Our daughter loved it. Lots of pool chairs and only sort of had trouble finding an open one the first day we were there (we did find a spot for the whole family so it wasn't a problem). I'm not a spa guy but did go there the last day we were there because it was raining. It was really really nice. Probably on par with other great hotel spas but I was very impressed. If it wasn't Hawaii and the beaches and pools weren't so awesome, I would probably have spent more time in the spa/ fitness center because it was so nice, relaxing, clean, quiet, etc. My wife got a couple massages there and said it was great. So, in summary on the positives, the place is really, really nice. It felt worth what I paid but in the eyes of the Westin, I probably got a lot more than I paid for because of the upgrade.

On the negatives - the past 10 days felt very very crowed. I think they were bursting at the seams (which I why I was so amazed that we got the better room). I don't mind a lot of people at a place but it meant that the personalized service/ attention (other than those I mentioned) was difficult for them to deliver on. They got you what you needed and did respond to issues (see below) but I think they could have used a few more people to man the front desk, etc. I've been to other resorts in Hawaii where you come in, they put a flower lei on you, they give you something refreshing to drink, give you a cold towel, sit you down and explain everything to you and make you feel special at check-in. Here, they have to get you through quick because there were so many people waiting to be helped at all hours of the day.

Parking was cramped but when it was full, they gave you free valet so you never had a problem getting a spot. However, the spaces were very close together (similar to other places in West Maui). I recommend not getting anything larger than a full size car if you stay here because of the tight parking spaces.

We did have problems with our toilet. It just could handle any toilet paper going down it (similar to South America or some places in Europe I've been to). I'm almost positive this was an isolated incident to our room but we had to have them come 6 times to unclog it. We even had to use the bathrooms near the Ono grill instead of our room because of the problem. They always came promptly to take care of it but it was a little annoying/ embarrassing having to call almost every morning to have them come take care of it. A relatively small sacrifice to pay for such a great room but if I had paid for the room outright, this would have really made me upset.

We did see one cockroach. The body of it was about 1 1/2 inches long. It was right outside our room and we shewed it away so, as far as we know, it wasn't in our room while we were but unfortunately, when we shewed it away, it ran under our neighbor's door - sorry!

Positive/ negative - the buffet breakfast was totally awesome but it better be because it was $30/ per person. Fortunately our 3yr old was free. I know this is pretty standard cost-wise for breakfast buffets at nice resorts but it still always feels steep to me. They have an alternative in the resort where you can get a la carte items and only spend about $15/ person to get a decent breakfast. Despite the cost, we ate at the buffet almost every morning and I don't regret it at all. The selection was great, food was great but the bonus at the Westin that is better than other nicer resort $30 buffets I've ponied up for was the view. If they tell you or you ask for it, you can get ocean view seating (they seat you where the Tropica restaurant is). So great to sit there in the morning and have breakfast with the family next to the ocean.

Tropica restaurant was pretty good. We only ate there one night so we could experience all the other great places nearby (Roy's, Leilani's upstairs and down, the Hula grill, etc.). At Tropica, I did the tasting menu which I now kind of regret because the main course was steak (I like steak but this one seemed to have some sort of alcohol base in the sauce which was too overpowering). The big positive surprise was the baked Hawaii. I wasn't expecting anything but this was delicious! I liked it even better than Roy's molten chocolate cake or the Hula pie at Leilani's. So, a total tangent to the Westin review but the perfect meal in Ka'anapali is Roy's regular green's salad (the creamy sauce is great), the Walu (if they have it) at the Hula grill and then baked Hawaii at Tropica.

In summary, it was a great trip thanks to the upgrade from Aliko - otherwise, I think I would have felt shorted. Five stars for this experience at the Westin!

Room Tip: Get an upgrade to the beach tower.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank verdegris
TheWestinMauiRep, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. Your thorough review highlights many of the features of our resort and the surrounding area. We are thrilled your experience at Ono Bar and Grill, Tropica Restaurant & Bar and Heavenly Spa allowed you to relax and rejuvenate. As your in-room experience was not representative of our standards we have shared your feedback with our housekeeping team to ensure this issue is addressed accordingly. Nonetheless, we truly appreciate you recognizing Alika, Carlito and Elena for providing exceptional service. They will surely be recognized for their efforts. Again, thank you for sharing your detailed feedback and we hope to welcome you and your growing family again! Mahalo nui loa & malama pono! (thank you and take care)
Plumas Lake, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

My husband and I were in Maui for our 5 yr anniv. When we arrived we were told the only king avail was over the cafe so we compromised with a double for an amazing view. To say the least the room was filthy, we even requested for someone to come up and re-clean. We also had maid service everyday but they never cleaned thoroughly just "refreshed". Stains on the floor, sticky soda on the ceiling, bar, bathroom floor, etc. An accumulation of dust had formed on the door, as well as finger prints, water stains. The bathroom tub was dirty, the floors were disgusting and we wore our shoes the entire time. We did eventually complain to a manager who responded with thanks for your feedback and here's some points. On our last day we woke up to sheets covering the hallway to soak up blood from an incident over the night. They finally came to steam clean 8 hours later. There was also blood in the lobby that was still there when we checked out at 10am.

The grounds were beautiful including the pools. The restaurants were great also. But we will not be returning to the Westin Resort on Maui anytime soon.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maggie A
Mahalo for taking time to post your feedback regarding your stay. We are disappointed to read your comments regarding cleanliness, as this certainly is not representative of our standards. Rest assured that we have reviewed your comments with our team. Please accept our apologies as we fell short of your expectations. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us by email at yourmauiexperience@westin.com. In celebration of your anniversary, we hope you enjoyed the beauty of what Maui has to offer. Again, mahalo for your comments. Aloha!
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

So, I'm used to the Carribean Islands, and decided to try the Hawaiian Islands for a change. I knew Maui would be more quiet than some of the others and I hate the idea of skyscrapers on a beautiful island, so Maui it was. The room was okay, but this resort is so big that I felt like I was stuck in a German sardine can. There were three pools but none of them were big. If you didn't get up really early and reserve your chairs, you might not get a spot. Pools are way too crowded.
Food is not good enough. I don't care that it was expensive , but expensive and crappy food is not okay. If you have an endless supply of money, don't mind paying $12 for a watered down drink, poor food and thirty to sixty dollars for a pool or beach cabana or lounge chairs, then this is your paradise. Everyone is between 50 and 70. The resort bars shut down by 11pm. Again, I hate people who whine about how expensive a place is without doing any research . I knew this was an expensive place to go. What I don't like is spending well over 15 thousand for a 3 week vacation and not enjoying myself. I'm heading back to Barbados where the beaches are wide and endless miles of white silk, lots of things to do during the day and night. More bang for your buck, just a longer flight .Good luck to you!

Room Tip: Don,t take a mountain view room. You will also be overlooking the parking area, and every lazy idio...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mahalo for your review. We are sorry that you were not able to experience the other two pool decks on our resort (one being an adult pool deck with a bar and Jacuzzi) or were given the option to utilize our beach chairs and unwind on Ka’anapali Beach. As we are grateful that you have brought your food and bar service experience to our attention, we have shared your concerns with our team for necessary action. Please know that we sincerely appreciate your honesty. We hope that you’ll revisit and give Hawaii another chance. Aloha!
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012 via mobile

The hotel lobby is pleasant to walk into with the waterfall and pink flamingos. We had a room on the 11th floor and found the elevator slow with an annoying beeping sound for each level. The room is old and tired and there was something wrong with the beds since both my husband and I had problems sleeping on them. I had so looked forward to the heavenly sleep they advertised and I had previously experienced in a Westin hotel in Bali. The pool has different areas including one for adults only, this is what we prefer since we have no children and do not need to put up with other people's children running around and screaming. It looks like there have been additional towers added to this hotel since the size of the pool is too small for the resort. The location of the resort is great, with the whaler's village next door providing shopping, food and a $1 bus service to Lahana. I would recommend eating and drinking outside the resort since the food and drinks are over priced for what you get.

Stayed March 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We enjoyed our stay here very much! Stayed for 10 days in a premium oceanview room. Great views! Room very comfortable for us, 2 adults and one child. Service at hotel was excellent. Thanks to Jasmine O - front desk manager for making our stay extra special!
My daughter loved the pool and waterside, being close to whalers village was convenient.
We attended the luau at the hotel it was great fun!
Definetly recommend this hotel
We will be returning!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Mcoleary
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

After having to wait until 4:30pm for my room to be ready, I was already starting to dislike the way people are handled at this “resort” as its called.

The room I purchased said, and I quote “Ocean View. Panoramic View Of Pacific and neighbor Islands”. What a downright , and outright lie. All I have is a panoramic view of the roof of the bar, and a glimpse of water.. at nearly $500 p/night this hotel rips people off. I rang and complained and all I was offered by management was worse rooms, and when I mentioned that the room description she said she would speak with her superior to have it altered so it better matched reality!.. doesn’t help me much.. but hopefully the next person wont get robbed like I did. Great way to spend the first night of our honeymoon.

Yes the pool and garden area are nice, but unfortunately outside of that all I have seen is rude staff and highly overpriced, out-dated rooms with very dishonest room descriptions.

DO NOT STAY HERE
this is barely a 3 star motel.

Room Tip: despite the name "Ocean View" doesn't actually have an "Ocean View"
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple