5,671 results
All reviewsbeach towerwhalers villageadult poolocean viewblack swanself parkingheavenly bedpink flamingosbreakfast buffetour honeymoonhula grillspg pointskoi fishabc storean umbrellafree shuttlean upgrade
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I did a lot of research before choosing my hotel. I chose the Westin after reading many reviews including those with bad reviews of the rooms. I was there at the beginning of their renovations and it didn't interfere at all with my stay. In fact, I never saw any renovations or workers my entire week stay. We didn't travel with our children nor were there too many kids. School was already in session o that probably helped. My favorite was the view from our room (813) and the beds! It was clean and well supplied. I heard great reviews about their breakfast buffet but I was not impressed. It was pricey (which I expected), $30 each. But the food was not that great and it was lacking in selections. I spoke to another guest who is a regular and he told me they have new management have recently removed 7 items from the buffet but haven't decreased the price. My only other complaint would be the front desk. I'm not sure if they were extremely busy, under staffed or what but I tried two different days calling the front desk several times and could not get someone to pick up until I finally had to ask for a manager to complain. The next day I tried calling and again no answer. It was disappointing to know that the hotel grounds and rooms are nice but if you actually need something from the front desk, it's a hassle. I would go back simply because the view was amazing!

Room Tip: Definitely with the money to get an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MooleyBug
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I needed some "alone" time so booked our stay at the Westin Maui. This is a beautiful hotel - the lobby and pool areas are amazing. Checkin took a very long time and we were third in line. There were only three available "windows", with one of those for Asian speaking guests only. The rooms are so-so - outdated and small, with an unusual placement of furniture. We were happily "upgraded" to a room with a pool view rather than the parking lot. Big plus in my book! The pools are lovely but a bit on the chilly side - however once you got in it was fine. The pavers around the pool get hot, hot, hot so make a run for the pool or leave your flip flops poolside. The pool was not cleaned regularly. At one point there was a lot of "stuff" on the surface - water bottle caps, hairbands (?), leaves, etc. When we mentioned this at 9:00am to a pool worker he said he would get to it. At 3:45pm he came back to clean - ugh. The slide in the main pool is fantastic! You do have to check in at the towel shack, and they ask your name and room number before you receive a colored wrist band. The colors change each day.
Beware the breakfast buffet! Food is waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced! $28.95 each? Yikes...too rich for my blood. Ask instead for a menu and then to be seated in the Tropica Restaurant with a beautiful beach view. The only problem there is you "get" to see all the people walking, jogging by your table and staring at you while you eat. Much more affordable pricing off the menu.
I would probably stay there again. It is very close to the Whaler's Village which offers more affordable food choices. The hotel shuttle takes you to various SPG properties and then also to downtown Lahaina. And seriously, you cannot beat Maui anytime of the year!

Room Tip: Any room facing the pools are great. Beware the rooms facing the parking lot - lots of noise!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Mahalo for sharing your experience. Your feedback is very important to us as it gives us the opportunity to address some of the concerns that you have mentioned. We are thrilled to read that you will return to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa. Thank you for your review and we look forward to your stay in the future. Aloha!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We booked four nights at the Westin Maui, and ended up checking out after the first night. The hotel was very busy and checking in took way longer than it should have. The rooms, as been said before, are not the best.....nothing horrible, but dated and small for sure. We even stayed in the deluxe ocean view room and were in the more updated tower. Our view was of the ocean, but also the roof tops of Whalers Village next door. We heard trucks loading and unloading all day long, and we were on the top floor. The balconies were so tiny with very uncomfortable chairs.

The grounds/pool are looked really nice however, and as we were only there the one night, we really didn't experience much else. We went to Lahaina Grill (fabulous) for dinner, and then came back and had a couple of drinks in the bar area of the restaurant. We met a nice couple there and had a good time. The bar closes around 11:00 pm, so not a hugh nightlife, but enough.

The next morning we went to the Westin Ocean Villas. Our breakfast package included breakfast at either the Westin, the Sheraton, or the Villas. We loved it at the villas (another review), and when we went back to the Westin, we asked if we could cancel our remaining three nights, and they had no problem with it, which was great. We moved over to the villas by noon.

We felt that for the money we paid, it just wasn't what we expected. Now to be fair, we had just come from the Fairmont in Wailea, which was fantastic. We paid basically the same for the Westin as the Fairmont, which is ridiculous. We did however, get a good deal (prepaid reserveration) for the Fairmont, but they don't even come close in quality.

This trip was for our 25th Anniversary, and for what we paid for the Westin, we felt we good had done better......which we ended up doing.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Congratulations and happy anniversary! As we strive to create unforgettable memories for our guests, especially to those who are celebrating a special occasion, your review and experience is very important to us. Mahalo for your feedback as it allows us to continuously fine tune our services.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Rude guests made for a crappy breakfast buffet. The surrounding pools were dirty. There were tons of families with children and it was not a relaxing or romantic atmosphere at all. It just felt like a very busy, disorganized resort. Plus with the crowded vibe, I just felt like everything around me was dirty. The koi pond and flamingos were prob the best part.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Mahalo for your review. Your feedback is extremely important to us and rest assured we have shared your comments with our team. We do sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations and hope that you will allow us another opportunity to provide a renewing and relaxing vacation in the future.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at the beginning of our Hawaii vacation, my husband was doing the marathon and this location was very convenient. To be fair, our usual level of accommodation is Four Seasons so we have been spoiled. We had a luxury ocean front room which was truly ocean front, right at the front of the property with expansive ocean views, lovely! The room itself was a standard hotel room, no wows, just a hotel room although the Heavenly Bed was amazing. The room was clean and in good repair. As Starwood gold members we were offered an upgrade from standard internet to premium internet. The premium internet was still painfully slow. On our first morning we had breakfast in the hotel and ordered off the menu rather than the buffet, unfortunately the food was very average but served by some lovely people. Next door to the hotel (2 min walk) there are breakfast options at a fraction of the price and much better quality. We were turned off by our breakfast and didn't eat in the hotel again but had some amazing meals in Lahaina (Lahaina Grill, expensive but amazingly good, Aloha Mixed Plate, dirt cheap, super casual and really, really good). We used the pool one day, the pools are pretty to look at but rather dirty up close (not unsanitary, just stuff floating, leaves, etc) and there is no service, no one offered water or a drink while we were by the pool. Common areas are quite impressive with waterfalls. A turnoff for me were the caged parrots in the lobby, they were in tiny cages, but luckily they were taken away at night hopefully to a more expansive space(?). The Westin was not cheap and after reviewing their website a lower level room at the Four Seasons Maui (our next hotel) was only about $100 more and the experience there totally on another planet.

1  Thank ryzee
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Mahalo for sharing your review on Tripadvisor. We apologize for not providing our usual exceptional service in our pool areas and have shared your feedback with our team for improvements. Thank you for choosing The Westin Maui Resort & Spa for your Maui Marathon festivities. As your loyalty and experiences are important to us we look forward to your return. Malama pono (take care)