5,665 results
All reviewsbeach towerwhalers villageadult poolocean viewblack swanself parkingheavenly bedpink flamingosbreakfast buffetour honeymoonhula grillspg pointskoi fishabc storean umbrellafree shuttlean upgrade
Reviewed January 8, 2009

My wife and I along with our 8 yr old girl and 4 yr old boy stayed at this Westin from Dec 26th, 08 to Jan 2nd, 09.

Upon check-in, the red-head gentleman at the front desk told me that we requested a room away from the elevator, but the room we were assigned to was exactly next to the elevator. He also told me that we would need to wait 45min - 1 hour if we want a room as requested. So...we waited for our room. Check-in time is written at 3 PM. We checked into the room at 5:15 PM.

The same guy who checked us in also tried to tell us that our rate was alot higher that what we reserved the room for. We had to pull out the laptop on the spot and slapped the reservation page in his face before he agreed to change the rate to what our reservation records said.

I find this to be the most disgusting tactic to rip off people who are there for a relaxing time. It is a know fact that Maui tourism dropped severely all of last year, and this must be the time for the hotel to reclaim their lost businesses. The hotel staff repeatedly said that Christmas break was a blessing for them as business filled up like the good old day, all the sudden. However, what the front desk tried to do was totally unprofessional.

A few days into the vacation, we decided to order take-out lunch from O'no restaurant. The day before I ordered the take-out myself and it was fine, but the next day when my wife went to order the food, the host who took the ordered decided to charge my wife a 10 percent service fee. When asked why, the guy just simply shrugged his shoulder and said that they always do that. Another the dishonest act!

Since our flight did not leave until midnight of the last day, we asked for late check out. They told us it would be $200 extra. We agreed to that, but at check out, the front desk person tried to charge us for an extra $25 resort fee for the late check-out portion in addition to the $25 resort fee we had already paid for that day!!! What the ?

Watch out for your bill at the restaurant. They indicate that a child under 5 eats free with 1 paying adult. However 10 times out of 10 they would conveniently forget to deduct the child meal from the check!!! Too consistent to be called "mistakes".

None of the jacuzzi had hot water.

Enough is enough. I think the general manager of this hotel should rethink his/her customer service standard and ethics. All of the staff should be retrained or replaced if this hotel is to continue to try to deliver the customer service product that Westin pride itself upon.

In a nut shell, we will never go back to this hotel. Afterall we do have other choices to pick in the Kaanapali area!!!

6  Thank EveryChanceToTravel
Reviewed January 4, 2009

we came to Maui for our 25 year wedding anniversary / family celebration - Maui is true paradise, but the Westin was a disappointment. While the lobby was beautiful, the elevators were very dirty, the front desk was not helpful - the rooms were not as clean as they should be , sinks dirty and bed lumpy - NOT heavenly. I realize that December is a very busy time for the hotel, but we were in paradise - there should be no excuses for being rude. We had reserved two rooms with an ocean view, did not get an ocean view and our second room had a king bed - not what we had asked for - they did not seem to care and used the same excuse - " We are very busy" - I had made reservations 8 months in advance and they still were not able to have what I asked for? We asked to be moved to an ocean view room - but they were not able to switch us. We were on the south side - I believe that the north side above the spa area is the best and it is the newer part of the hotel as well. despite the rooms ,the hotel location is perfect! You can walk to Whalers Village - a must as the stores are great and you can get good food and smoothies and eat on the beach - very cool. Great restaurants and fun activities - "black rock "great - my one son dove off the cliffs and loved it - great snorkeling as well. the $25 hotel fee was fine as I knew in advance from reviews to expect it, but every time we tried to use the gym - it was packed, we did get the 2 bottled waters which was nice, but we were to get a complimentary photo - could not find the photographer? The food was wonderful and the ocean is beyond great - the hotel had nice pools but could not keep up with the amount of people as the pool area was dirty and messy. Unless you got up at 7 a.m. no chairs to be found. Did not realize that you needed to reserve in advance for cabanas. the atmosphere was great - just a shame that the staff was not helpful and at times rude. Refrigerators in the rooms - nice as you could store juice and have snacks in the room . overall - great area ,beautiful location - need to get better at cleaning and happier front desk.

5  Thank IndianaMauimom
Reviewed January 3, 2009

Following an all day Odyssey from distant Toronto, we arrived exhausted after midnight, finding no one to greet us at the door of this 5 star establishment. Hauling our own suitcases, we made our way to the front desk, where a sullen clerk checked us in efficiently, but without the slightest evidence of Hawaii's vaunted "aloha spirit."

The lobby and public areas of the Westin Maui Resort are spectacular. Our room, by contrast, was disappointing and highly overpriced for its quality. It was small, and furnishings were comparable to those of a quality motel chain. Our 12th floor mountain view room was also the noisiest hotel room that we have ever endured -- not because of inconsiderate, partying guests, but because of an ill-fitting sliding balcony door that caused the wind to howl all night long! High speed LAN Internet cable was not functional, and the problem was not resolved during our stay. Slower speed wireless Internet did work most of the time, but the slow speed adversely affected our ability to conduct business during our stay.

During the Christmas holidays the hotel's swimming pools were crowded beyond capacity. Every deck chair was claimed before 8 AM. Same problem with an inadequate supply of rental chairs on the beach. Yes, they had to be rented (when available), unlike the abundant, free chairs that we take for granted at good Mexican and Caribbean resorts.

Food selection and quality was adequate, but overpriced. $4.50 should buy more than a half-full glass of luke warm pineapple juice in Hawaii!

4  Thank TravelDocToronto
Reviewed December 31, 2008

I have stayed at a few Westin's and this one is not comparable. The rooms are so small, not at all enough room for 2 adults and 2 kids. The food and drinks are so over priced it forces you to eat elsewhere which is a pain. On the plus side, we didn't have any problems getting chairs by the pool at any time. The service is really good too.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Westin for 9 days and it was wonderful. We were supposed to be married in San Diego, we went through everything with a wedding coordinator at the Hilton Mission Bay. They were going to truck in sand, the beach was gross and it smelled bad. All I wanted was to get married in the sand with no shoes and the ocean as a back drop. My now husband and I sat down at the cafe to discuss the plans and I asked him what he thought. His response was "you don't want to know". I did want to know. He said" Let's go to Hawaii and get married". We arrived in Maui on the following Wednesday and were supposed to be married on the beach in Kihei on Friday. Due to weather it didn't happen until Sunday. The hotel staff was amazing in twice preparing our clothing. (We got dressed went over to Kihei and had to come back on Friday). The room was small but they did upgrade, at no charge, to a bigger ocean view. There were no suites available as we had virtually no planning in the trip. It was the best decision ever. The fresh fruit, flowers and champagne in room were excellent. The staff must have all gotten "the memo" because everyone was congratulating us through out the week. The proximity to Whalers Village was great. Walking distance to shopping. I would absolutely recommend walking next door The Hula Grill, say hello to Warren and have the ceviche! It is out of this world! The adult pool is a must, clean and relaxing. No noise. The grounds were well maintained and clean.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple