5,668 results
All reviewsbeach towerwhalers villageadult poolocean viewblack swanself parkingheavenly bedpink flamingosbreakfast buffetour honeymoonhula grillspg pointskoi fishabc storean umbrellafree shuttlean upgrade
Reviewed July 27, 2009

On a return trip to Maui in March 2009, my wife and I were looking forward to staying in the Beach Tower at the Westin Maui. Knowing the history of the hotel - it was not originally built as a Westin property - we thought that the Beach Tower, built after Westin acquired the property some years back, would reflect the best of Westin - particularly given its location on Kaanapali Beach. We couldn't have been more wrong.

The room was just like staying in a Holiday Inn. The room came with none of the standard amenities that would be found in a Marriott in any state. We had to call the front desk for the basics. The heavenly bed advertised by Westin also wasn't. Additionally, the quality of the food at the breakfast buffet - expensive by any mainland standards - was poor. It was like eating at Denny's next to a pool. Yes, the pool area and surrounding grounds are very nice, but in the end you are paying dearly for the Westin name and getting the equivalent of a Holiday Inn on the beach.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank OhioHawaiiguy
Reviewed July 22, 2009

First off, we were charged a "Resort Fee" for things we didn't use- such as the gym, extra water, and a shuttle van (because we had a rental car).

We would have rathered that the fee included things we could have used- lounge chairs/umbrellas on the beach ($15/day).

On the plus side, we enjoyed the pools, which were interconnected and included a keiki slide and a large water slide, waterfalls, and a hidden jacuzzi under a waterfall. The resort also had an "adult only" pool.

In addition, the resort is located (as were others) right on the beach. It made it easy with the kids to transition from the pool to the beach. It was also located adjacent to two excellent restaurants (both in price and quality of food) as well as The Whaler "mall" that had a McDs, an ABC store, and other local wares.

They also had parrots and koi fish (that the kids were able to feed in the morning) as well as a "Wii tournament" with changing games every day. There were arts and crafts for the kids (my two didn't participate in this or the Wii because they were in love with the water slide.)

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank PocketKKings
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My BF and I stayed here for 5 nights on the week of July 4th. Considering that this was a very busy week for the resort, I don't think I entirely agree with some of the negative reviews here.

Right when we walked in, we instantly fell in love with the tropical-themed lobby filled with waterfalls, flamingoes, swans, and giant koi. Check-in was quick and the people at the reception were friendly. When we finally arrived in our Deluxe Ocean View room in the Beach Tower (the newer tower), we were pleasantly surprised by the modern furnishings and the decent-sized bathroom. The view was breathtaking!! My only gripe is that it we could hear the sound of the fans coming from the restaurants in Whaler Village so try to get a room facing the pool folks!

Yes, there were a lot of children around especially since this is a family-oriented resort and it is the middle of summer io the week of July 4th. But I did not think there were screaming children everywhere. Most kids actually behaved pretty well and my BF and I do not recall getting annoyed.

The pool does get filled up pretty quickly but we spent most of our time at the beach and came back to the pool towards the end of the day (3-4pm) and were able to find chairs easily. We did get a beachside cabana one day which was nice but came with a hefty $60 pricetag. A huge negative with the pool area is that theres only ONE teeeeny tiny hot tub in the adult pool area. That thing can probably fit 4 or 5 people max at a time which is unacceptable!! Build a new hot tub!!! The beach here is great as well compared to the other hotels, when you get to the Hyatt side you can definitely see the erosion of the beach during high tide.

Food is expensive at the resort but its expensive everywhere in Maui unless you really do some research and try to hit up some local spots. The breakfast buffet was pretty good but I really enjoyed the fruits (pineapple, mangoes, papaya) the most. On a side note (not related to the Westin), I just want to quickly add that you should probably skip Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina because its totally overrated!!

Overall, we had a lovely time at the Westin Maui. I don't really have too many complaints about the place but would like to stay at other resorts when i return to Maui. Not because I disliked the Westin but because there are many other choices around the island.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank vickie116
Reviewed July 17, 2009

We just returned from my 23rd trip to Maui, including childhood trips. My kids have gone to Maui 13 times. Suffice to say we are oldtimers. And in full disclosure this time we came on an Explorer Package (for the first and last time) which we bought last summer. When we purchased the package (this is in conjunction with the timeshare program) my husband and I made sure that they spelled out all the contingencies including room view. (My personal feeling is that I am in Maui to see the ocean, not a parking lot and I am willing to pay for that privilege. We were assured that we would get the same room as always.

When we received our confirmation I was upset to see Terrace View Room (parking lot). I called the hotel but got to the general booking number and was told that my reques would be noted. I received a note from our personal concierge asking if there was anything that she could do for us before our arrival and I called. The first time she called back and said that she would "note our request". Vague and uneasy feelings began.

I then checked various sites which said (including direct with Starwood) that all categories were available. And the partial ocean view was available for less than what we had prepaid, so I called the concierge again. No return call. I called again...no return call. I called again, three days prior to arrival, again explained our situation. She said that she would do what she could. I relayed all the information that I had about availability. And again, she said that she would do what she could. She then asked if we were celebrating anything "special." The truth was yes: a 30th wedding anniverary and a major birthday. My concierge said that we would get some surprises. (I'm still waiting for the surprises.)

Of course when we checked in late in the evening we were given a Terrace Room. I expressed my displeasure (in a very civil way) and was told to check back in the morning.. I did and we were upgraded. That was good, but very inconvienent.

We always rent a cabana for most of our trip. On the FIRST day that I could make a reservation, two months out, I called and reserved "our" cabana. My concierge checked with them....and they had moved us three times to less convient and less desirable (in our opinion) cabanas. Why? I don't know. I spoke to the pool desk asking why we had been moved and they all just shook their heads. Not good. I didn't make a big deal about it, I just wasn't happy.

Housekeeping was interesting. One night we found extra pillow cases inside our bed. Another day we found extra pillow cases on the floor. We were given two bath towels, despite the fact that it was obvious that four people were in the room. We do tip everyday, so I can't imagine that this was in retaliation for some imagined slight.

One evening we returned to the room to find a bottle of champagne and two glasses congratulating us on our marriage. The envelope had the wrong name on it, so I called. It took three calls to get them to pick up the errant champagne....and, the classy thing to do is to say Thank you for calling. This can be your gift from the Westin.

Another day my girls received sushi, ordered from room service by other guests. They of course refused it. Someone screwed up somewhere. (No, my kids didn't order it by mistake, or as a joke. It was an order misfire.)

Last year the pool staff was vigilent about keeping kids out of the adult pool and spa. This year not so much. Sometimes the rules were enforced, most of the time not. In addition, three different times we came to our cabana to find people sitting in our chairs. (We paid an extra $90 per day for the cabana). The hotel "lost" the private sign and hasn't replaced it yet according to pool employees. But the guests had to know that this wasn't a regular space: There are special cushions on the chairs, and ice chest available, and there are towels already on the cushions. So, in the matter of kids and cabanas I blame both sides. As one of my daughters said that they waited until they were of age to go to the adult pool out of respect. Why didn't other people do the same?

Did we have a bad time? No. But the little and not so little annoyances made this a not so great trip. I know that the economy is tough (newspapers are now only availble at the elevators, as opposed to being at the door.) and the hotel is cutting back. But there are too many gaps to make this a first class hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank ellebud
Reviewed July 14, 2009

My new wife and I checked into this hotel a bit concerned with some of the reviews, but that wasnt a worry at all after only 10 minutes.

Check in was superb and really personal as we got congratulations of the reception staff and told some hawaiin traditions for newly weds, like which side to wear your flowers :)

When we went up to the room we were amazed!, we had been upgraded to one of the luxury rooms with a superb almost 360 view of the ocean over the whalers village. The room was superbly decorated and looked very fresh. The bathroom was amazing and had a large selection of free toiletries which my wife became addicted to :D

But the number one thing about the room had to be the bed! it was so comfortable and huge and from lying in it you could look right out at the pacific and hear it lapping against the shore.

Within 10 minutes of being in our room we were brought a complimentary bottle of champagne and flowers from reception as a gift for our honeymoon along with a loverly personalised note wishing us all the best.

The layout of the hotel is amazing, just walking around at night and listening to the birds and taking in the breathtaking sunsets is something that will stay in our minds forever.

Food wise the place is expensive, but then that seems to be the case with everywhere in Maui but you wont be dissapointed, the tapas style is lovely and the breakfast turkey wraps are the nicest breakfast we ever tried period!

All in all this hotel is in an absolutely superb location with superb staff, views, rooms and facilities. We never experienced any rudeness or screaming children or anything resembling what a few people here have mentioned.

A lot of the time I reckon it depends upon the reviewer and if one small thing occurs they may let this affect their entire holiday.

One final mention has to go to the diving school that operate in the hotel, the training lesson is superb and the diver is so professional and makes sure you get a good session and see some amazing things. Remembering hearing whales talk while diving will always make smile.

A+