5,784 results
All reviews beach tower whalers village adult pool black swan ocean view self parking heavenly bed pink flamingos breakfast buffet our honeymoon hula grill spg points koi fish abc store an umbrella free shuttle daily resort fee
Reviewed December 8, 2005

The Westin on Maui has a gorgeous pool and lobby area. The hotel was way too crowded. I have stayed in the area at the Hyatt which is more spacious and seemed less crowded. We had a Mountain View room which was very small and the bathroom was as small as a broom closet. We booked a king size bed when making our reservation but ended up in a room with double beds as there were no king size beds available in the mountain tower and we were not willing to upgrade to the ocean tower for a king size bed at an additional $180 per night.

Not worth the money.

Date of stay: December 2005
7  Thank acctgdweeb001
Reviewed December 5, 2005

The Westin has great pools and grounds, good service and nice restaurants, but the rooms are poor for the price. Too small, worn out, and the "heavenly" showers were nothing more than what you get at a Motel 6 except for the two showerheads. Beds were comfortable, but not spectacular. We have stayed at the Embassy Suites (Maui) and Ko Olina Marriot(Oahu)recently and they were, especially Ko Olina, much nicer for about the same price.

The workout room is very small and has limited equipment. The Spa services were great but expensive.

Go at least once to David Paul's in Lahaina. The food and service were excellent.

8  Thank Tourist20973
Reviewed November 30, 2005

My wife and I stayed here for six nights on our honeymoon. The first 3 were booked through Westin (Starwood Preferred program). We had a mountain view room - which was perfectly fine, as the mountains are gorgeous and always have dramatic clouds hanging over them. The room was a bit small, but very nice - beds are of course great. Bathroom was small but clean. It felt like an okay deal for the money - but nothing spectacular. The pool is great, and the location is fantastic, if you want to be near lots of other people. We decided to go to Hana for a few nights, and then come back to Ka'aanapali for 3 more nights before we flew back home. I booked our second stay through Hotwire - and ended up back at The Westin. Not only was our room nearly $90 per night cheaper on the second stay, but we were also upgraded to the Ocean Tower - which is incredible. The rooms and bathrooms are much bigger - and we had a stunning view of the beach AND mountains.

My only complaint about staying there (other than how expensive everything is) is the crowds. It was definitely a good idea for us to get away from Ka'anapali for a couple days. I didn't go to Hawaii just to see other mainlanders crammed into a resort - which is what you get at The Westin. However, it is indeed a beautiful property, and if money is not a concern, then you can truly pamper yourself here. Also very close to Black Rock - a great place for snorkeling.

I would consider staying here again, but would also look for a better value on Maui next time.

14  Thank JeffH1001
Reviewed November 29, 2005

After all of the negative reviews, I was not expecting too much but boy was I suprised. The lobby area is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. We were given flower leis at arrival and promptly checked in. Our room was a decent size but the view was spectacular (we had a beach and pool view). No there is not much closet space but who really brings a lot of clothes that need to be hung when they are staying at the beach! It was enough room to hang the clothes that needed to be hung (for 2 people). The room was very clean at arrival and was cleaned daily. The maid never forgot our water, in fact, we received double one day. We never had a problem finding parking in the self parking lot. The pools are great, we especially loved the adults only pool. I saw them ask children to leave the area a couple of times. The rest of the pools were great too. Very kid friendly but kids were never a problem. We made sure to go in each pool and down both slides. It was never a problem finding two chairs together, no matter what time we went to the pool. The spa was excellent. I had an 80 minute Lomi Lomi massage and it was everything I could hope for.

We were never bothered, or even approached, by the timeshare people. We choose to do one off of the resort property and ended up signing up. The location could not be any better. Many nights, we walked right next door to the Whalers Village to eat and shop. They have a wide range of shops...from the ABC store to Tiffany. We ate several times at Leilanis (downstairs) and watched the sunset. Lahaina is a quick drive (10 mins) or if you are going to drink, a $10 cab ride. In Lahaina, I do recommend Bubba Gumps for the great location (pretty much over the water) and Kobe Japanese Steakhouse. The food was terrific.

All in all, the resort was spectacular and I will stay there each time we visit Maui. Just one thing, they need to add the $18/day resort fee into the room price instead of as an additional charge.

13  Thank KMac19
Reviewed November 27, 2005

I would give this property 4.5 stars if I could, we loved it. But here's the real deal at this place. You have to be in the Beach Tower. This tower is newer and the rooms are larger, as are the lanais. We had a beautiful premium ocean view on the highest floor (11) and could not have been happier. The lanai accomodated our family of 4 quite well and the room looked as it had been recently redone. Nice bathroom, not huge, but nice. Great heavenely beds. The location of this resort is superb. Walked about 100 steps to Whalers Village for dinner several nights. The pools are awesome. Yes, chairs are tight but we never had a hard time finding one and we were there during the Maui invitational basketball tournament. The only negative I would say is that it is crowded, maybe because of the tournament. It seemd a bit "Vegas-like" with the crowds but it was also fun with all the excitement of the games.
This is not a five star property so don't expect the same type of environment. But we had a blast and enjoyed it very much with all the waterfalls, birds, flamingos, etc. Go into it knowing your won't be getting Evian spritzed on you at the pool and you'll do great and make sure to splurge on the Beach Tower rooms.

10  Thank pattyatips