4,798 results
All reviews the cliff black rock the mai tai bar whalers village our honeymoon ocean front resort fee kaanapali beach breakfast buffet an upgrade stayed in building sea turtles public beach hula grill an ocean view room per day other resorts
Reviewed September 15, 2018 via mobile

This is our fourth stay at Sheraton Maui and it has never disappointed us. They recently re-modeled their rooms and the bath rooms are practically new. Walking distance to Kaanapili beach and the Black Rock for swimming/snorkeling. There are plenty of fishes and occasional sea turtles swimming in the Black Rock area. The food at the resort is quite expensive but our vacation package deal comes with daily breakfast buffett ($32 pp) so take advantage of full breakfast every morning.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank dwueclipse
Reviewed September 15, 2018

I was looking for properties in Kaanapali last month and my base camp was the Sheraton. The location was excellent being at the far end of the Kaanapali Beach. Everything else is walking distance. The landmark Black Rock for Cliff Divers is right on the property. It is family friendly. I di not eat on the property as there are more active and better restaurants at the Whaler's Village, a shopping and dining mini mall on the beach, just a short stroll from the Sheraton.
For the adults, I felt the poolside bar's and drinks were weak on not very high standard or exotic. The food choices were a little heavy on did not reflect the islands. I feel they have a way to go in that category.
The rooms are a little tired and could use a bit of an upgrade. The hallways are drab and not very well appointed. The staff at the front are excellent and helpful but the room service options, housekeeping and responsiveness .s average.
Given the location and the size of the property and the room pricing, the hotel could use a major facelift and some more apparent staffing. The food areas need to be totally refreshed. The problem might be there are so many options and the evening crowds are all down at the Whaler's Village.

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank Robert C
Reviewed September 12, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa from 9/5-9/10. We originally had booked our stay at a nearby condo resort, but decided to take advantage of a good deal through Costco Travel, which included daily buffet breakfast for two and a dining credit. We last visited this resort 4 years ago and, while we enjoyed our previous stay, we found the room rather small. On this trip we booked a larger deluxe ocean view room. We were satisfied with the interior and overall comfort of the room. However, our room was on the second floor and the ocean view was partially obstructed by trees. I would recommend that visitors request a room on floors 4-5. The main attraction of the hotel is the location - right on the best section of Ka’anapali Beach at Black Rock, which is a premier snorkeling spot where colorful tropical fish, sea turtles and spinner dolphins call home. The breakfast buffet had a limited selection of food items, but we were pleased with the food quality and daily fresh fruit selections. Without exception, the entire staff, from house keepers to food servers, was outstanding. My only real gripe about this resort is more of a rebuke against corporate greediness and not the staff. For example, guests are charged a $26.04 daily Resort Charge and $22.92 per day for self parking. The parking fee should be included in the Resort Charge. However, the most petty corporate rip-off was the $5.00 price (market value 50 cents) for a bottle of water prominently displayed in the room. It wasn’t even fancy Fiji water! Marriott owns The Sheraton brand and is a multi-billion dollar corporation that recently benefited greatly from a huge tax break. I spoke to Resort employees who explained to me that they are currently negotiating for a living wage. My advice to the corporate management is to pay the employees a fair wage, because they are entirely responsible for making the Sheraton Maui a first rate resort. And while incredibly wealthy Marriott International is at it, offering guests at least one complimentary bottle of water will not hurt their profit margin!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank alig587
Reviewed September 11, 2018

CONS:
- fitness center is a joke (it's tiny with barely any free weights or weight machines there)
- no one answers phone calls (I placed room service request twice with guest services, after asking them not to transfer me to room service, as the latter would not answer, and guest services also would frequently not answer)
- clean up service did not replace any small items (we had to buy body wash after we noticed it's not being replaced, it's literally the only self-proclaimed high class hotel in the world I haven't seen shampoo-body wash-conditioner not being replaced daily)
- very confusing charging practices (I asked for bottled water several times, one time I got a 1 gallon bottle delivered for free, one time I got several small bottles delivered for free, one time I got 2 large bottles delivered for a fee)
- fridge in the room barely worked (pie that we got from this ridiculously good place on the island got very moldy after 2 days in it)
- self park is hard to get to (several elevator rides necessary), furthermore - very hard to navigate proximity card reader (really hard to reach from the car)
- hotel is hard to navigate, it's sprawling and it's a super long walk anywhere (it takes good 7-8 minutes just walking from our room to fitness center)
- concierge was uninformed about local activities, outside of what they were usually selling (concierge is not supposed to be a salesman!)
- hotel is just old and not kept well (on the outside it looks nice, but just step into fitness center, staircase, self park car park, elevator, etc. and age shows)
- are you seriously still charging daily rate of $15 for fast internet? What year do you live in?

PROS:
- the snorkeling beach and cliff you can jump from right in front of the hotel are cool

• Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank fjwolski
GuestExperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2018

Aloha Filip W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback from your recent stay. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the beach fronting the resort, but regret that your stay was negatively impacted by the expansive property, Fitness Center, and in-room refrigerator. We appreciate your honest feedback and will review it with our management team. We hope you enjoyed your time on the beautiful island of Maui and we do hope you’ll consider us in the future so we have the opportunity to create the positive experience we strive to provide for all of our guests.

Warmest Aloha,
Guest Experience Team

Reviewed September 10, 2018

We stayed at the Sheraton for 7 nights for our babymoon and it was just ok. The bed was horrendous in that it was almost springy and the sheets were scratchy; not soft at all. I would say the bed setup was worse than a 3 star motel. Being pregnant, daily my hips hurt and I slept awful. I was underwhelmed by the pool area since it was lacking in plant life and there was a ton of wasted grass area. Not to mention there weren’t enough chairs with shade so you were forced to buy a cabana/umbrella for the day. Overall, I wish we would’ve stayed somewhere else like the Hyatt down the beach, now that place looked like paradise! It was nice to snorkel in front of our beach and the water was beautiful but I hear Black Rock beach can be deadliest in Maui... the rooms were nice and the private lañáis were large.

Pros:
-beach has nice water and no shells to hurt your feet
-nice rooms with big balconies
-good sunset view
-nice staff
-snorkeling (though apparently dangerous)
-walk to Whalers Village
-shell lei upon arrival
-microwave and fridge in room
-luau Monday and Wednesday. Sometimes Friday
-Koi pond

Cons:
-small boring pool they say has a lazy river but it’s really a winding skinny pool because there is no water moving
-not enough “free” pool floats to go around
-very expensive food ($67 for burger, tacos and 2 drinks, one virgin)
-the worst mattresses I’ve ever slept on and scratchy sheets (Super 8 quality for both)
-paper thin room walls (you’ll hear doors closing, people dropping things, talking)
-useless grassy areas when they could’ve had a bigger pool or kid area or games or another hot tub
-lacking in tropical plants, arid looking
-not nearly enough chairs with shade so you’re forced to pay for cabanas
-long hike to rooms on west side
-quiet, no bar after like 5 and nothing going on. Very quiet/romantic?
-no music playing anywhere

Room tip: Choose a room somewhere else!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank kiralandis
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2018

Aloha kiralandis,

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us and for taking a few moments to share your review. A positive guest experience is extremely important to us, and we appreciate you providing these insights to allow us to better serve future guests.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the location of our resort and found our staff to be friendly and nice, however, we sincerely apologize that you found your bed to be so uncomfortable and that you felt our pool area was underwhelming.

Again, we apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay. We will be sure to share your feedback with all relevant managers. We hope that you choose to stay with us again in the future so that we may have another opportunity to show you the aloha spirit we strive to provide to each and every one of our guests.

Mahalo nui loa,