“The BEST offshore charter boat I've ever been on”

Luckey Strike Charters
Reviewed October 18, 2017

My 1st trip to Maui didn't include a fishing day so I was adamant that this time I was going to pursue some big game in the deep blue! I researched every website for every charter company/boat I could find. I discovered a great site at fishmaui.com which gave a good overview of most of the local charters. I ended up choosing the Reel Luckey (part of Luckey Strike Charters) which is owned and captained by Tad Luckey, and crewed by a great fisherman named Garrett. I chose this boat because they use light tackle (I love the challenge) and rather than just drag a lure over the surface for 6 hours, which I have learned by personal experience often results in an expensive boat ride rather than a great fishing trip, these guys use a combo of live bait & lures at a range of depths. My 2 teen daughters and I scored BIG with a number of amberjack and gray snapper coming from the depths. Nothing touched our surface baits all day. Had we only trolled at the surface, it would have been the long, expensive boat ride I've had in Mexico, Florida, and other offshore fishing locales. Instead, we stayed strapped into the fighting belt with bent rods for the majority of our 5 hour trip. The first AJ came within 15 minutes of leaving the harbor. Captain Tad and Garrett made the trip fun, exciting, and informative for my daughters and myself. We left with huge smiles on our faces and have enjoyed telling and re-telling the stories and showing off the pictures ever since!

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"rods"
"trolling"

Reviewed October 6, 2017

One would think that after 30+ years fishing these waters they would know where the fish are at. Sadly we picked the wrong boat for the occasion and I can't recommend using Lucky Strike again. I had a wedding trip to Maui in September of 2017 and decide to book a trip with the grooms family and in-laws (8 total). Since we had a large party we were limited to Lucky Strike as only option but figured since it had been around for 30+ years it would be great. The crew and boat were spirited and informative and the weather was awesome for the day. But after 6 hrs, 8 rods in the water we didn't get a bite. At one point it seemed like that would change but it turned out it was only a broken rubber band hold the line.

Reviewed July 11, 2017

The best idea ever! Food is expensive on Maui, so we booked this on the front of our week long trip in hopes we would have fish for the week, and OH BOY did it ever work out.

My hat's off to Captain Brad and Drew! These guys were great! Knowledgeable, Super nice, Gave us great fishing lessons. Drew did an awesome filet job, no bones.

The unique thing about this boat we researched, is they are very generous on fish. We had no idea the price of sport fish on Maui, I assumed it would be cheap since it's surrounded by it, but at the Market price they let us take $300~$400 in fresh fish off the boat, which our family ate on the entire trip, fish tacos, nachos, pasta, stew, etc...

Sorry Brad I had no idea it was that much :(, we will defiantly be back.

I would recommend this to anyone, me and my buddy wanted to go again while we were here but we already had too much fish.

Don't get me wrong we got very lucky to catch that much fish, we could have easily not caught any, but I would not have blamed that on the charter, it's a big ocean.

Reviewed September 8, 2016

The Luckey Strike II is as good as it gets for a charter fishing boat in Maui. This 50' Delta Marine has tons of room including a wrap around deck and a comfortable padded bench on the bow unlike the typical 'Yacht' charter boats we have chartered in the past. Capt. Brad and deck hand Sammy were super friendly, professional and knowledgeable fisherman. Booked a 6 hour (shared) trip for 3 with 2 other fisherman on board. 8 trolling rods (all gold reels!) with assorted jigs (including the sammy special) were in the water from the time we left the harbor. 3 hours into the trip we hooked into a 150lb class blue marlin but was short lived after it made its first charge. 10 minutes later we hooked into a 500lb class blue marlin that went air born several times before charging into deep water. All 5 of us on board took turns fighting this monster with the deck hand helping us out and even having to get into the chair because we were ALL exhausted! 1 hour later the huge female blue marlin shook the hook less than 50 from the boat. We ALL celebrated the catch and release experience and were so impressed with the way both Capt. Brad and deck hand Sammy helped all of us through this epic fight. We plan on booking another trip with these guys asap and would recommend this boat and crew to anyone visiting the island looking for an awesome boat and crew. Mahalo!