“Very good food and sushi with - limited entrees”
Review of Japengo

Japengo
Reserve with OpenTable
Japengo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 291 Restaurants in Lahaina
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: Sushi, Steakhouse
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kaanapali Parkway
Transit: Take the Maui Public Bus to Whaler's Village and then a short walk along the boardwalk, to the Hyatt Regency Maui.
Description: Japengo is sophisticated dining destination on Maui, featuring world-class steaks, seafood, and sushi. Japengo blends fresh locally-grown ingredients with the exotic flavors of the Pacific Rim. Enjoy indoor and outdoor patio seating, a chic sushi lounge, and an indoor/outdoor lounge area. Happy hour daily and live entertainment every night. Free parking is available.Japengo has earned numerous awards including the 2013 Gold 'Aipono Award for Best Pacific Rim Restaurant on Maui, and 2013 Silver 'Aipono Awards for Best Seafood and Best Asian Restaurant on Maui.Every 2nd and 4th Saturday, Chef Jay shares his secrets in Japengo's Saturday Sushi School, an hands-on culinary class in the Sushi Lounge.
Reviewed November 13, 2018

This restaurant is in the Hyatt Regency Maui. From the menu, I can say that they specialize in the many varieties of sushi. However, for those would might prefer an entrée, the choices are limited. This is a Japanese restaurant, but based on my experience in Japan, they offered few choices and many of the popular Japanese entrees are not offered. I did have the cashew crusted chicken, and if was very tasty, The portion is quite large that two people could actually share it. It is expensive, but within range for a good Maui restaurant.

Date of visit: October 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,179)

Reviewed November 12, 2018 via mobile

4 of us dined inside at this great restaurant last night. No probs booking, great attentive and knowledgeable service and sensational food. We had the house poke which was delicious, sensational sushi, the chefs special roll, the calamari and spare ribs.
We had some local beer, their classic Mai Tai which combined nicely with the food. Their repeated awards of best sushi in the Pacific are justified. Price very reasonable.

Reviewed November 11, 2018

Absolutely delicious, be careful not to order too much as the sushi rolls are huge, just absolutely one of the best dinners I've had here.

Reviewed November 8, 2018

First time I’ve been to a sushi restaurant and I have to say it was delicious. They also do other dishes,not just sushi.
We ordered several dishes and shared so we could all experience and taste the different flavours, the fresh tuna was my absolute favourite.
Very relaxed atmosphere and staff were all friendly and helpful, it was very busy when we arrived and luckily we had booked we saw lotus of people being turned away, so book if you dont want to be turned away!

Reviewed November 6, 2018 via mobile

Ok! so my partner and I went back to Maui again. We love going there when we both need a break from work. Our jobs are pretty intense and love a quick getaway. We dine at Japengo every single time when we are in Maui. And I hate to review a place twice or so but I just want to give a shout out to Desiree.. (I think that’s her name, I apologize if it’s not) but we were there a month ago and we came back recently and she recognized us and she was always a really pleasant waitress to have. Super nice and really took care of us. And the food at Japengo is always delicious! We can’t ever go wrong here! Thank you!

Date of visit: October 2018

Been to Japengo? Share your experiences!