“Excellent stay”
Review of Aina Nalu

Aina Nalu
Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Having read both the positive and negative reviews I was sceptical, especially for the price - I shouldn't have been. We arrived at midnight after a long trip from London. The reception was closed but a security guard was on hand to give us our room key. A great aloha service from the night security guard and our room (a 1 bedroom 2nd floor condo) was like home from home. Clean, spacious and great attention to detail - beating many a stay in the likes of Sheraton and Marriott hotel rooms. Previous comments about the rooms looking "tired" didn't apply to our room. There were basic kitchen supplies, laundry supplies and soap, shampoo, moisturizer etc. Room towels and pool towels included. Although the maid service is by request, this didn't bother us in the slightest but I could see it as a problem for parents with kids. Upon official checkin the following morning the front desk staff were very happy to help and offer advice about the area. They also reinforced that if we needed anything, just to call them. Staff on the complex were always helpful. Both pools were clean but sunbeds become a little of a premium from lunchtime onwards. BBQ facilities are a great idea and well utilized at lunchtimes. Location is great, just 2 blocks from all of the shops, restaurants and harbour. There is a beach about 10 minutes walk away. On a negative side, no in room wifi, just free wired internet. More public areas could do with free wifi coverage. The charge for overnight parking is a rip-off. Overall, great stay and recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,203)

Reviewed 29 March 2012

We just returned from a visit to Maui and stayed at the Aina Nalu. We would normally stay in a more resort-like property closer to the beach but thought we'd stay in Lahaina for a change of pace. We booked a 1 bedroom and somehow scored a 2 bedroom unit! We paid $189 per night plus tax, which I thought was a steal. Especially considering we had just spent $195 for a hotle room in San Francisco. From the outside the resort looks like a 2 level motel but the inside was very nicely done!! We loved the slate shower/bathroom and the furnishings throughout were nice. We didn't really make use of the full kitchen or the living room or the 3 TV's. But the ground level unit (I-101) was great. We were able to park right outside our place. The pool was about a one minute walk across a parking lot. It was probably one of the coolest hotel pools I've ever been to. Grass right up to the edge, black bottom - just sleek. It was not heated so I didn't venture in much (I'm a big baby). The hot tub/spa was nice too. I never had an issue, but there weren't a ton of chairs around the pool. There was a very nice area for grilling and eating (that I didn't use) but if you're into that sort of thing, it looked like a fun area. There's no wi-fi in the units, but you can get in the lobby (smallest lobby ever, but it was perfect!) or at the pool area. There is a second pool that I never visited.

We were able to walk to various restaurants quite easily. Our kids are 3 and 5 and they only complained a little about the walk. :) The only complaint would be no beach (that I know of) within walking distance. We had a car so it didn't matter.

The only reason I didn't rate this a 5 is that I RARELY give that out. Only for exceptional room, service,etc. This place was just a shade below a 5. Give it a 4 1/2!

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Just returned from a second stay at the Aina Nalu. We love the location, love the economy of the place (it is half the price of Ka'anapali properties), love being in close proximity to so many restaurants and bars and love not having to drive after having one or two (or three) mai tais...tee hee.

The pluses: Location, location, location. Mature landscaping with beautiful *fan palms*, great pools, pool pavilion, stainless steel barbecue grills, large slate walk-in showers and a kitchen better equipped than most condos we've rented. And we've rented many over the years. I love to cook so I like to have the necessary tools at hand. Very comfy beds and linens. Ample (and soft) towels.

The minuses: No bathtub. No ocean view. No table in kitchen or living room area on which to play cards or board games. Smaller than normal refrigerator for a full-sized kitchen. Can't use *floaties* in the pool.

New this year (to us) was the *no daily maid service* policy. I called the front desk, as housekeeping wouldn't pick up, and was told that towels were to be washed in our washer and dryer en suite. Okay. Was told that if we needed more laundry detergent, just call housekeeping. Finally got through to them and within just minutes, a maid arrived with extra dishwashing detergent and laundry powder. After tipping her, she gave us extra garbage pail liners and more liquid dishwashing soap. For the two of us, in a two-bedroom, two-bath unit, we had six pool towels, which was plenty. Throwing the beds together ourselves each morning wasn't a big deal.

Now, as a battered and bruised 30-year veteran of the travel industry, let me say this: C'mon people!!! This property has a *parking fee* of $15 per day. Show me one property on Ka'anapali Beach where you don't pay a $25 to $35 per day *resort fee*. Get out much? This is the norm. They're doing it in Vegas and every other resort area so get used to it. I hate it as much as anyone else, but hotels are becoming like the airlines with their baggage fees, seeking other revenue streams. Don't want to pay the fee? Park on the street. We did and it wasn't a big deal. And we never had to park more than a block away.

We our already planning next year's Maui trip with our best friends, who joined us at the Aina Nalu in May, 2011. And we will all stay there again in 2013. We work hard for our vacation dollars and Aina Nalu offers a lot of bang for the buck.

3  Thank pilotgirl310
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I have stayed at this location before (18 months ago) and reccommended this hotel as a place for my wedding guests to stay. I was however embarrased for doing so after this stay and will never consider this property again as it is cheaper than some others but not worth the hassle to stay here.

Here were my issues on the current trip:
- Check in process: Says 3pm on the site, however 75% of guests did not have their room ready on time and front desk said check in is between 3-5pm. (per who? ) Further, many guests had rooms which were not available until after 5pm which is farily unacceptable. Included in that group is a family with a 7 month old baby who checked with the front desk at 1pm for early check in options and were told they were going to be prioritized. That meant they were last of the day with check in at almost 6pm. Room they checked into then did not have a working key and they were forced to move. THEN the crib/bed they called ahead to have in room was not there. Was after dinner before they were settled in the room. Worst of the whole process is the front desks lack of care or even consideration which did result in me actually yelling at them which is something I really have never done before. I had 40 people staying at this property during the week and was given no politeness at all by the front desk which caused me to snap as the family with the baby was my twin sister!

Rooms- Most were fairly clean but countertops/kitchen look like they were wiped down with water and not real cleaning products.

Housekeeping not daily: We were told the policy changed and they were no longer doing daily housekeeping. (nice to know before you get there but nope!) Then even worse when you did request things like fresh towels or toilet paper they mostly did not come and you had to hunt down the cleaning people on your own. Twice during the week I washed my own towels with detergent I purchased as they did not respond to my requests.

Several lights in the room were out/not working.

Lights/spa area did not have predictable pattern in the evening in terms of controls and hotel staff said they had no ability to change. (ie lights went out at wrong time, spa jets were not on properly, etc)

Front desk is rude and not helpful- Needed one page printed for vows for our wedding and they actually claimed they did not have a printer and had no ability and could not help us. Right.

Other considerations (not new things)
- Hotel still does not have wireless internet and wired internet is very slow
- Hotel still charges for daily parking which is ridiculous
- Air conditioning is in the wall and is very loud/old when swithes on and off constantly
- Lots of bugs in the pool area and you need to wear bug spray if you are out there

10  Thank Emily L
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel was located about a five minute walk from the water and main strip (for shopping, dining, bars etc). It is a condominium type arrangement featuring two pools and an inhouse expedia consultant (great for bookings!).

We stayed in a two bedroom condo which contained a shared lounge room, laundry and kitchen. Each had their own bathroom.

The staff here were helpful and friendly.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Aloha. We (husband, wife and 2 elementary school age children) spent one week at the Aina Nalu, Unit J209. We rented a car and drove from GEG (Kahului-Maui Airport). Our first stop was CostCo and Kmart to purchase food and supplies for the week. From there we headed to Lahaina. It was an easy drive, especially because we brought our own portable GPS. We arrived at the Aina Nalu and were pleasantly surprised by our 2 bedroom condo. It was just as nice as the pictures. The kitchen was stocked with all the dishes we needed. They even had salt and pepper in the cabinet. We brought our own olive oil to use for cooking (we ran out so next time we will bring more) as well as our favorite spices. There was a closet that had beach chairs, beach towels, umbrella, 2 body boards and sand mats. This was a very nice amenity because if we had to rent those items, it would have cost us a bundle.

There are two grocery stores close to the Aina Nalu. The prices for food was more than I’m used to paying back home but I discovered that I could purchase red meat and fish at VONS for 30%-50% discount by searching the clearance section.

Parking at the Aina Nalu is costly ($15/night). I found street parking most of the nights but it was not easy. I had to drive around the area several times until I found a place then end up parallel parking in tight spots. You may want to brush up on your parking before leaving home. To make it easy for the family, I drove the car onto the property and parked as close to our unit as possible. Loading and unloading was not too bad that way. I moved the car to the street before or after dinner each night to go a hunt for a parking spot.

During out stay we went to quite a few different beaches. Our favorite was Ka’anapali Beach and Flemming Beach. For parking tips at Ka’anapoli read this article called “Kaanapali Beach Parking: Pay and Free Lots.” Follow this reviewer’s tips and you won’t be sorry. Your patience will pay off in the end.

We went whale watching one morning and had a great time with the Hawaii Ocean Project (hawaiioceanproject.com). It was money well spent for the whole family. When I was deciding on which company to go with, I called another company. The man who took my call was very rude, condescending and made jokes about my questions. I wish I could remember the name of the company but I can’t find the flyer where I got his number. If you go whale watching, I suggest that you speak with the operator before you make your reservations. If they are rude, take your tourist money elsewhere.

A sad indictment about customer service we experienced in Lahaina is that many people were either blatantly rude or just very short with us. The ladies at the grocery stores, the receptionist at Aina Nalu, and the attendant of a surf board rental shop at Ka’anapali Beach

On the other hand, Angela, the manager of the privately owned units (not to be mistaken by the manager at the hotel) at the Aina Nalu was very friendly, helpful and accommodating to our questions and needs. There were a few minor problems with our unit (e.g. light bulb burnt out, sink drain plugged) and within a two minutes of calling, Mike, the maintenance guy, came knocking at our door to fix things. He was friendly and quick at carrying out his tasks. Both Angela and Mike make up for the other not so great customer service we encountered.

Overall we had a great time in Lahaina and hope to be back sometime soon. Aloha!

Room Tip: Ask if they have rooms that face the street, not the highway. Bring your own snorkel gear. If cook...
4  Thank TravelJunkySoCal
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We have been to Hawaii several times and this was one of the best places we have stayed at.The Condo units are modern and very clean. Well maintained grounds with 2 pools, a Jacuzzi, and a nice entertaining area by one of the pools (with WiFi). We stayed in unit D210 for 2 days and the other 5 days in unit I209. Both units were comfortable, quiet and clean. Both units provided free WiFi which was nice.

We parked on-site for $15 a day but only had 1 rental car between 2 couples. We only used the car a couple of times during the week as everything is within walking distance from this condo. Cheaper parking was available close by but we opted for the on-site parking was handier.

We had booked the condos through FlipKey which turned out to be a great choice. Angela, who managed both units, was especially helpful and friendly as was Mike (maintenance man). We were very impressed with Angela who was always ready with helpful advice and information.

Location, location, location! Lahaina is a lovely place where you can walk to pretty much anything you want to do. Lots of decent restaurants around. Best deal on breakfast was at Moose McGillycuddy's while there was a good variety of dinner choices.

The only negative was the Outrigger front desk crew which we found to be lacking. One of the reasons that I picked this place was because it was part of Outrigger's but the Aloha spirit seemed to be lacking at the front desk of this place. Fortunately, Angela ( Condo Manager for the privately owned units we stayed at ) was friendly and helpful. She more than made up for the front desk.

We would stay here again in a heartbeat. Great condos, great location, and great people to deal with!

Room Tip: The rooms on the second level are the best bet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple