New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Kimberley, Canada
“last minute vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I walked into the travel agent and asked for a miracle for a spring break Maui vacation. The only hotel need I had was to sleep 5 people and to have a kitchen. The choice given was the Aina Nalu. I had read lots of reviews and knew basically what to expect. Our unit was ready when we arrived at 6:30pm, it was clean, quiet and exactly what we needed. We travel most of the time no frills, so daily maid service was not necessary. We washed towels as we had other laundry too. Great to have in-suite laundry. We were upgraded to a 2 bathroom unit from 1 at no cost, which was great for 5 people. The units were peaceful and wonderfully tropical. The pool areas and the BBQ's were great. Fantastic walking distance to Lahaina, a hub of activity if desired. The complaints I have I already knew about. The parking. We tried street parking for 3 days and everyday was a stressful task for my husband after we had been out all day. We bite the bullet and paid for parking after that. The front desk ladies were also not as friendly as I thought resort people should be, but the maids we did see were great offering extras. The internet also was poor, but useable. It allowed us in the room to connect to keep in contact, but the lobby and pool areas we couldn't get to work. Overall I would go back to this resort and area of Maui. We spent the extra money saved on activities. That's what we were there for and the resort was our base. I would recommend this property for like minded travelers. Thrify fun seekers.

Room Tip: We had a 2 bed 2 bath unit on the middle back left, the Moa?? units. Keep away from the back and the...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Korean first
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed 5 days in March for our first time in Maui.This resort has 180 condo units, all privately owned but 130 of them are managed by the hotel chain Outrigger. We rented from Outrigger. The service was excellent.The resort is quiet and beautiful: 2 pools ,3 BBQs, pavillion area with TVs , chairs and tables. We had a 2 bedroom/ 2 bath unit. Very clean , full kitchen , living room , washer/dryer. 5 minutes walk to Front street, which is the main attraction with its Banyan tree. There's a beautiful little beach at about 15 minutes walk ( Baby beach) . The food store, Foodland, is also at a walking distance . We would definitely go back again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Having read both the positive and negative reviews I was sceptical, especially for the price - I shouldn't have been. We arrived at midnight after a long trip from London. The reception was closed but a security guard was on hand to give us our room key. A great aloha service from the night security guard and our room (a 1 bedroom 2nd floor condo) was like home from home. Clean, spacious and great attention to detail - beating many a stay in the likes of Sheraton and Marriott hotel rooms. Previous comments about the rooms looking "tired" didn't apply to our room. There were basic kitchen supplies, laundry supplies and soap, shampoo, moisturizer etc. Room towels and pool towels included. Although the maid service is by request, this didn't bother us in the slightest but I could see it as a problem for parents with kids. Upon official checkin the following morning the front desk staff were very happy to help and offer advice about the area. They also reinforced that if we needed anything, just to call them. Staff on the complex were always helpful. Both pools were clean but sunbeds become a little of a premium from lunchtime onwards. BBQ facilities are a great idea and well utilized at lunchtimes. Location is great, just 2 blocks from all of the shops, restaurants and harbour. There is a beach about 10 minutes walk away. On a negative side, no in room wifi, just free wired internet. More public areas could do with free wifi coverage. The charge for overnight parking is a rip-off. Overall, great stay and recommended.

• Stayed March 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We just returned from a visit to Maui and stayed at the Aina Nalu. We would normally stay in a more resort-like property closer to the beach but thought we'd stay in Lahaina for a change of pace. We booked a 1 bedroom and somehow scored a 2 bedroom unit! We paid $189 per night plus tax, which I thought was a steal. Especially considering we had just spent $195 for a hotle room in San Francisco. From the outside the resort looks like a 2 level motel but the inside was very nicely done!! We loved the slate shower/bathroom and the furnishings throughout were nice. We didn't really make use of the full kitchen or the living room or the 3 TV's. But the ground level unit (I-101) was great. We were able to park right outside our place. The pool was about a one minute walk across a parking lot. It was probably one of the coolest hotel pools I've ever been to. Grass right up to the edge, black bottom - just sleek. It was not heated so I didn't venture in much (I'm a big baby). The hot tub/spa was nice too. I never had an issue, but there weren't a ton of chairs around the pool. There was a very nice area for grilling and eating (that I didn't use) but if you're into that sort of thing, it looked like a fun area. There's no wi-fi in the units, but you can get in the lobby (smallest lobby ever, but it was perfect!) or at the pool area. There is a second pool that I never visited.

We were able to walk to various restaurants quite easily. Our kids are 3 and 5 and they only complained a little about the walk. :) The only complaint would be no beach (that I know of) within walking distance. We had a car so it didn't matter.

The only reason I didn't rate this a 5 is that I RARELY give that out. Only for exceptional room, service,etc. This place was just a shade below a 5. Give it a 4 1/2!

Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Just returned from a second stay at the Aina Nalu. We love the location, love the economy of the place (it is half the price of Ka'anapali properties), love being in close proximity to so many restaurants and bars and love not having to drive after having one or two (or three) mai tais...tee hee.

The pluses: Location, location, location. Mature landscaping with beautiful *fan palms*, great pools, pool pavilion, stainless steel barbecue grills, large slate walk-in showers and a kitchen better equipped than most condos we've rented. And we've rented many over the years. I love to cook so I like to have the necessary tools at hand. Very comfy beds and linens. Ample (and soft) towels.

The minuses: No bathtub. No ocean view. No table in kitchen or living room area on which to play cards or board games. Smaller than normal refrigerator for a full-sized kitchen. Can't use *floaties* in the pool.

New this year (to us) was the *no daily maid service* policy. I called the front desk, as housekeeping wouldn't pick up, and was told that towels were to be washed in our washer and dryer en suite. Okay. Was told that if we needed more laundry detergent, just call housekeeping. Finally got through to them and within just minutes, a maid arrived with extra dishwashing detergent and laundry powder. After tipping her, she gave us extra garbage pail liners and more liquid dishwashing soap. For the two of us, in a two-bedroom, two-bath unit, we had six pool towels, which was plenty. Throwing the beds together ourselves each morning wasn't a big deal.

Now, as a battered and bruised 30-year veteran of the travel industry, let me say this: C'mon people!!! This property has a *parking fee* of $15 per day. Show me one property on Ka'anapali Beach where you don't pay a $25 to $35 per day *resort fee*. Get out much? This is the norm. They're doing it in Vegas and every other resort area so get used to it. I hate it as much as anyone else, but hotels are becoming like the airlines with their baggage fees, seeking other revenue streams. Don't want to pay the fee? Park on the street. We did and it wasn't a big deal. And we never had to park more than a block away.

We our already planning next year's Maui trip with our best friends, who joined us at the Aina Nalu in May, 2011. And we will all stay there again in 2013. We work hard for our vacation dollars and Aina Nalu offers a lot of bang for the buck.

3 Thank pilotgirl310
San Jose, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I have stayed at this location before (18 months ago) and reccommended this hotel as a place for my wedding guests to stay. I was however embarrased for doing so after this stay and will never consider this property again as it is cheaper than some others but not worth the hassle to stay here.

Here were my issues on the current trip:
- Check in process: Says 3pm on the site, however 75% of guests did not have their room ready on time and front desk said check in is between 3-5pm. (per who? ) Further, many guests had rooms which were not available until after 5pm which is farily unacceptable. Included in that group is a family with a 7 month old baby who checked with the front desk at 1pm for early check in options and were told they were going to be prioritized. That meant they were last of the day with check in at almost 6pm. Room they checked into then did not have a working key and they were forced to move. THEN the crib/bed they called ahead to have in room was not there. Was after dinner before they were settled in the room. Worst of the whole process is the front desks lack of care or even consideration which did result in me actually yelling at them which is something I really have never done before. I had 40 people staying at this property during the week and was given no politeness at all by the front desk which caused me to snap as the family with the baby was my twin sister!

Rooms- Most were fairly clean but countertops/kitchen look like they were wiped down with water and not real cleaning products.

Housekeeping not daily: We were told the policy changed and they were no longer doing daily housekeeping. (nice to know before you get there but nope!) Then even worse when you did request things like fresh towels or toilet paper they mostly did not come and you had to hunt down the cleaning people on your own. Twice during the week I washed my own towels with detergent I purchased as they did not respond to my requests.

Several lights in the room were out/not working.

Lights/spa area did not have predictable pattern in the evening in terms of controls and hotel staff said they had no ability to change. (ie lights went out at wrong time, spa jets were not on properly, etc)

Front desk is rude and not helpful- Needed one page printed for vows for our wedding and they actually claimed they did not have a printer and had no ability and could not help us. Right.

Other considerations (not new things)
- Hotel still does not have wireless internet and wired internet is very slow
- Hotel still charges for daily parking which is ridiculous
- Air conditioning is in the wall and is very loud/old when swithes on and off constantly
- Lots of bugs in the pool area and you need to wear bug spray if you are out there

• 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Emily L
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel was located about a five minute walk from the water and main strip (for shopping, dining, bars etc). It is a condominium type arrangement featuring two pools and an inhouse expedia consultant (great for bookings!).

We stayed in a two bedroom condo which contained a shared lounge room, laundry and kitchen. Each had their own bathroom.

The staff here were helpful and friendly.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends