“good value but don't rent from owner”
Review of Aina Nalu

Aina Nalu
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 12 April 2010

The Aina Nalu was a good place to stay, but we didn't get any housekeeping for 2 weeks. Had we rented from expedia or another internet site like our friends it would have been better. Also we were RIPPED OFF 200 dollars of our security deposit as it was never returned and the owner will not return our emails. DON'T ever rent unit B102!!! Serves us right for being gullable. We had a pretty good time in Hawaii though ,as we travelled to differnt beaches...it was beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,207)

Reviewed 11 April 2010

We stayed in a two-bedroom unit, so my two daughters could have a separate, enclosed sleeping area.

The unit was tastefully, if minimally, decorated with modern furniture and appliances. There was a flat screen TV in the living room and both bedrooms. My only complaint is minor -- they could use more dresser drawer space, particularly in the 2nd bedroom (I hate living out of suitcases). We had in-unit laundry, which we used a great deal. Note, however that every unit is likely furnished differently due to the time-share nature of the resort. Expect a bit of a crap shoot.

The service was very good (remembering that this is a condo, not a hotel). All public areas and the rooms were cleaned daily. The staff was helpful and polite (albeit some friendlier than others) with any requests we made. The unit will be stocked with a single days' dishwasher and laundry detergent packages, with the expectation that you will go out and buy your own when you get your groceries. But if you ask nicely they will likely give you an extra day or two so you don't have to run out right away.

I recommend utilizing the services of the Expedia booking agent in the booth by the large pool. Much better experience than dealing with one of the booths on Front Street and they do have a small Ainu Nalu guest discount on most things.

The bedroom air conditioner was a bit noisy. Suggest only running the one in the living room when sleeping.

Parking at the complex was pricey (about $110 for a week). Some reviewers have suggested street parking as an alternative, but I'm glad I didn't go for that option. The street spots for blocks around were full at all hours of the day. I have better things to do on my vacation than hunt for parking :-)

Don't expect any special instructions passed through your travel agency to actually get to the resort staff. I didn't have any but overheard another guest getting cross at the front desk staff about her special written instructions (which exceeded what any unit had available) not being heeded. If you have special requests, I would recommend calling the resort directly beforehand. They were pleasant and as helpful as possible whenever I asked anything.

The location was excellent for my needs. You will be driving in Maui if you want to visit most locations, but being a couple blocks from downtown Lahaina meant that a walking was an option for many of the attractions (e.g. submarine and other tours from wharf), a variety restaurants, art galleries, etc. Note that while Keiki ("Baby") beach is a good 15-20 minute walk at the other end of town, you will need a car to drive to any of the other beaches (e.g. ones with more surf or snorkelling potential). One of the best beaches on the island is at Ka'anpali, is a ten minute drive north.

Being able to barbecue while watching over the kids having a swim to cool down at the end of the day was great.

Our unit was right beside the small pool, which meant it was also furthest from the highway (note: almost every form of accommodation in Maui is effectively near the highway, since the highway is near the beach). Units closer to the highway may hear some road noise when they have the windows open. However, walking around that side of the building even at high traffic times of the day did not seem excessively noisy. I couldn't hear the highway over the moderate splashing noises coming from the big pool during the day.

There is free WiFi beside the pools. It is not fast but it works. It is very short range. You basically need to be in one of the lounge chairs or you are SOL on signal. You can get paid WiFi in your room. I don't know if its speed is better than the pool WiFi as I decided to live without it.

Groceries are expensive in West Maui. Recommend hitting Costco near OGG to stock up on food for your kitchen.

3  Thank Northquarter
Reviewed 10 April 2010

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. The rooms were very well appointed, staff friendly, cleanliness excellent and the pool facilities surpassed our expectations.
The location could quite simply not be better, just a short walk to restaurants, shopping, tours and excursions.
Our 4 year old son enjoyed the pool area and with the surrounding grass was an ideal place for young children to play.
I highly recommend this Outrigger Facility and will most definitely be going back.
ENJOY!

Reviewed 8 April 2010

.Nice place and the rooms are clean and modern..It is also close to shops and restaurants.Two pools to swim and the scenery is beautiful..I have no problem with the car parking charge as it is true,it is hard to park in small streets along the area.My only problem is the staff..Except for the expedia activities person all the other staff are very unfriendly..You call the front desk and they let you wait and never call you back as to what you need..

Reviewed 4 April 2010

The best swimming pool! I really enjoyed staying here! Nicely updated rooms made the stay very comfortable! I'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2010

Easy to find just behind the main through road, I arrived on Sunday afternoon for a week's stay on Maui, but as for 'Aloha" ....... ?! I was confronted by the most unwelcoming welcome I have had at any hotel, ever – xyz the Sunday receptionist at the Outrigger Aina Nalu, had clearly graduated with honours from charm-removal school. She was disinterested, unhelpful and unfriendly. On the map of the complex she rapidly circled various facilities and services, of which I missed a couple, on asking her to repeat the last two, she folded the map, passed it over with a scowl and told me all I needed to know was on the back. I then had the temerity to enquire whether my room was a Garden View room as booked – “All our rooms are Garden View rooms!” she spat. When I returned to ask, as instructed on the back of ‘the map’, for the access codes for the complementary WiFi at the Pool Area, her response was a staccato “What WiFi?”. When I explained, she stated that there was only WiFi at the pool area - not so, also at reception - and there were no access codes. I’m so glad that I asked!

Although the garden view consisted of a row of palms separating the sitting and bedrooms from a courtyard, and the rooms were a little dark, the place was enormous and fully kitted – the kitchen/diner, sitting room, bedroom, utility and shower-room were clean and well appointed. The complex is set in large well kept gardens with two pools, barbecuing facilities and has three free WiFi hotspots. It is towards the back of Lahaina, which means that it is away from the hustle and bustle of the main drag, but it is only a three minute walk to Front Street and the harbour. As for the parking charges, yes they are steep and irritating, but parking isn't always easy on the very busy and narrow streets, so it is a small price to pay. If they didn't charge, no doubt the rates would rise!

All in all, it was a great place to stay and explore Maui, I would certainly go again, but my rating reflects the intermittent quality of reception, they were generally better than xyz, but not always and she was there to see me off the premises when I left, her usual surly and 'irritated at the inconvenience of it all' self. Pity really, it took the edge of an otherwise enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank JonT24
Reviewed 21 March 2010

This location is perfect for anyone looking to enjoy all the great "feel" that the town of Lahaina has to offer. It's close to all the shopping centers and more importantly close to Front Street and the beach / waterfront.

A very clean place with great layouts in the rooms with lots of living space and kitchen space with beautiful bathrooms and a very functional washer and dryer unit.

The pools were well placed and nicely decorated.

Perfect location for a couple, a single or a family
A great choice