All reviews pacific dream photography cane canoe four seasons canoe restaurant bedroom residence serenity pool premier ocean view the ritz carlton three bedroom full kitchen coastal trail pool staff moment you arrive in room dining personal concierge huge lanai paddle boarding
Reviewed September 18, 2018 via mobile

We stayed in an ocean front 3 bedroom. It was beautifully appointed and had generous amounts of space. The views were amazing! Pools and beach fantastic. Highly recommend this resort. The shuttle service within Kapalua very nice.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank laketahoelove
Reviewed September 12, 2018

This is a tough review to write... we were honeymooning and as an self-described 'accomplished traveler'... I really wanted to get this one right. The Montage was a mistake. I was not impressed with the Montage Kapalua Bay property. It is an hour drive to everywhere and the property is just not maintained very well. The grounds were messy and the build facades were algae and mildew stained. When I got the $92 bill for an average omelet, bowl of oatmeal and fruit plate breakfast... I was stunned. The $350, 90-minute massage was good but not worth the ticket. The $28 pineapple pool drink was just average. All together... it just didn't pencil. Having stayed at other Montage properties in the past... they should probably remove the brand badge from this one. It seems that the goal is to be the "most expensive property on Maui" and that is the one thing that they achieved.

This was my 6th trip to Maui and I previously stayed in Wailea for four of them (Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, Wailea Beach Villas and a private residence), I would go back there next time. The Four Seasons is the place to go for luxury. We had a drink at the Andaz and it was a very cool, hip spot with a ton of energy too.

Here's what The Montage did well... the bell staff (Ron in particular) was excellent and helpful. Our guest concierge, Camila, was excellent as well. The room/residence was very nice and spacious. We loved our accommodations and the service staff was very, very good. They had champaign, a lei, hats and flowers in our room upon arrival with a very nice note. I was hoping for the VERY best and it was very good but just not worth the coin.

In a word, Disappointing.

Again, sad review because I am a fan and The Montage had set a high bar in the past and worth the extra $$$$... not this time. Oh well. We'll try elsewhere.

Room tip: Go to the Four Seasons or Andaz
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank trailside1
MontageKapaluaBay, Manager at Montage Kapalua Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2018

Aloha,
First off, congratulations on your union! While we strive to provide exceptional experience to our valued guests, we are dishearten to receive your feedback after you have departed. We truly wished we had the opportunity to make your celebratory occasion a memorable one. Thank you for recognizing Ron and Camila for their genuine service. Rest assured that your comments have been shared with our team for enhancements.
Mahalo,
Anthony Freda
Resort Manager

Reviewed September 11, 2018 via mobile

We were greeted by the staff at 9:30pm on 8/31/18. They took our luggage and valet parked our vehicle. We were given lei’s, cool towels and pineapple bites. This was genuinely appreciated after a 15hr+ day. We were given a tour of our 3 bedroom condo located in building 1. The accommodations were not only luxurious but comfortable. The resort had a birthday cake in the refrigerator upon arrival and flowers on our actual birthday. Housekeeping came twice a day and did an impeccable job. They made sure we had bottled water daily and at turndown. The pineapple fruit chews in the evening were a tasty treat before bed. The entire staff is courteous, attentive and friendly. I can’t find adequate words to describe our experience.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank 956deborahc
Reviewed August 31, 2018

Our family of 5 had a fabulous time at the Montage Kapalua Bay. I booked this based on my experience with the Montage in Laguna Bay and was not disappointed.

We loved every minute, starting with the welcoming leis. The three bedroom, 3 1/2 bath apartment/suite was perfect for our family of 2 adults and 3 teenage daughters. The unit was very well furnished and equipped -- though an electric hot water kettle would have been nice. Everyone had their own bed, we had ample bathrooms, and the room set up provided tons of space to hang out. We had a huge patio balcony with ample seating.

The pool area is lovely -- spacious, creatively divided, with beautiful landscaping. While certain areas would fill up, it did not feel crowded. Poolside staff were very attentive. The poolside food could have been a bit faster, but when you are in Hawaii on vacation, who is in a hurry! We loved the big comfy lounge chairs around the pool.

The beach area at Kapalua Bay was wonderful. It is sheltered and the snorkeling was some of the best we had during two weeks among the Hawaiian Islands -- turtles, tons of colorful fish, and even a reef shark. At the beach, we had excellent service in terms of equipment, chairs and towels. If you want a chair, go in the morning, as they will run out of chair/umbrella space. One day when we showed up later (early afternoon), the staff kept a wait list for chairs and stayed on top of the turnover. The beach is technically a public beach and adjacent to another property. I felt like the Montage guests were particularly well taken care of.

The food is decent, but there is really only one restaurant -- Cane and Canoe. Great place for dinner as you enjoy the sunset. If you are there for more than a day or two, you will want to explore restaurants in Kaanapali and Lahaina. We had room service one morning -- the food was delicious and the service outstanding. Our concierge Camila emailed us before our arrival with restaurant recommendations. We tried several of her recommendations -- Star Noodle (Asian noodles), Sale Pepe (Italian) and Tamura's Fine Wine and Liquor for poke -- and they were all top notch.

I would stay here again in a heart beat.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank MCLtraveller
Reviewed August 28, 2018

My family and I were very disappointed with our uneven and inconsistent stay at this Montage. I would save your money and book elsewhere.

We have stayed at the Montage in Park City and Laguna Beach which are both excellent. I think Montage should pull the flag from this property. It is sub-standard.

The service was inconsistent at best but mostly indifferent. Some of the staff and particularly the locals are lovely people - gracious smiling friendly helpful - a lot of them and most of the stateside and foreign staff are clearly sojourners there and just do not care. I have had better service at the DMV.

Poolside the food was theme-park quality. Over-priced, crappy and gloppy.

I do not know what the plan is with this property but it needs a do-over.

The room was dirty, the floors were sticky, multiple things were broken and while the service folks and brought extra towels or replacement items - and a nice older Hawaiian was always kind to give my elderly mother who was often turned around a quick ride to the pool.

The valets however were indolent and lame. There are two luxury vehicles that stand by at all times. Montage Park City is in constant willingness to provide a ride downtown. When my mother and wife asked for a ride to the Ritz there were told to wait for the free shuttle - which of course took awhile and had no shocks and screwed up her back. What were the 4 valets / attendants doing? Waiting for more tips I assume before they head back to Jersey or Omaha or wherever

It is clear that whoever owns this hotel is pumping every penny out of it - b/c there was nothing luxurious about it and every decision was less - less towels, worse quality food, cheap cheap cheap

The bed was so lumpy that my Mother wanted to sleep on the floor after two nights b/c she was tired of taking Advils and she never complains. Ok rarely:)

The site is beautiful and Kapalua is super windy and not for everyone. But still beautiful and there are remnants of old Hawaii.
We have stayed at the Ritz next door - and that is a big hotel so we wanted the kitchen and to be altogether in one suite with a kitchen.

But I would not stay at this hotel again - and if you see from my reviews I stay at nice places and I am not hugely price sensitive - but I do expect quality and value for the high prices and this place was a gargantuan disappointment to me, and to my family - and with vacation time so precious it just amplified my disappointment..

There are a lot of good reviews as well and I find this bewildering but they may have lower expectations of a Montage or the value of their time/money.

Goto Four Seasons Maui, Ritz Kapalua, rent on VRBO - make another choice.

Room tip: Don't go here.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
9  Thank LuxuryTraveler92660

Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. While it sounds like there may be more to your experience with us, we truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us these details. Should you wish to share more of your less than memorable stay, feel free to reach me at afreda@montagehotels.com.
Mahalo,