“Trilogy Kaanapali Whale Watch is incredible! Best on Maui”
Review of Trilogy Excursions

Trilogy Excursions
Ranked #1 of 134 Tours in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: Voted #1 Sea Activity on Maui! Snorkeling, Sailing, Whale watches, Dinner Sails, Private charters, and most notably their "Discover Lana'i" excursion. Trilogy Excursions is a family-owned and operated sailing company established in 1973 by the Coon Family! They operate on both Maui and Lana'i and lead the industry in environmental stewardship, setting safety standards, and Hawaiian hospitality. They are committed to sustainable tourism and undergo an extensive certification process every two years to remain a certified eco-tour operator. They depart out of Ma'alaea Harbor, Lahaina Harbor, Ka'anapali Beach, and Manele Harbor (Lana'i).
Oro Valley, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Trilogy Kaanapali Whale Watch is incredible! Best on Maui”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Humpback Whale Watch provided by the staff of Trilogy Kaanapali was the most incredible I have experienced in the forty three years I have made my annual pilgrimage
to Kaanapali. The catamaran Is capable of handling the waves, the captain and naturalists are kind, friendly and informative and their ability to find the whales is exceptional.

We experienced the following whale behaviors in this single watch that most people do not experience in a lifetime! Trilogy has whale karma. We saw
1. A mother and calf resting and nursing as an escort male stayed close to protect them.
2. Two humpback full breaches, one of which was performed 60 yards from the Trilogy!
3. Captain Riley spotted a group of seven whales off in the distance, moved toward their direction where we experienced an event that few ever see. These male humpbacks were fighting for supremacy, moving fast through the water while showing aggression of slapping their tails on one another, lunging their tremendous heads with extreme force onto another humpbacks head in an attempt to wear one another down. We experienced this amazing and rare opportunity for about an hour.
Witnessing whales perform all of these behaviors was extraordinary.

As you are breaking down the choices of who to charter a Whale Watch while on Maui, the most meaningful information I can share is that Trilogy Excursions Kaanapali is staffed by an outstanding crew that will exceed your expectations. They genuinely possess the heart and soul of Aloha. Captain Riley is personable and kind and determined to provide a great whale experience. Kiwi and Jordan were also exceptional naturalists who provided exceptional information about the Humpbacks and did so in an entertaining and meaningful way.

My heart and soul has been deepened today as a result of this experience. The behavior of the Humpback Whales provided me with a new sense of connection to them. The Trilogy crew genuinely offers the true spirit of Aloha and added perspective to what the circle of life is all about. I am grateful for their dedication to the whales, desire to do all they can to provide a guest a remarkable experience and the ability to transfer all of that in a manner that enriches our lives.

Trilogy Kaanapali gets my rating of 100 stars! Jordan, Kiwi and Captain Riley are remarkable individuals who will give you their best. They love what they do.....any guest can feel that from them and become enriched by their presence.
Linda Patterson

Visited April 2012
2 Thank Lindapatterson888

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Day Excursion to Experience Hawaii”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We are not sailors. I was apprehensive of this seemingly expensive trip.

I was very wrong. This is terrific value sailing on beautiful big catamarans on gorgeous ocean with a highly skilled, enthusiastic, charming, attentive and entertaining crew. The food was fresh, well prepared, nutricious and generous and the quiet beach on Lanaii was comfortable and featured excellent snorkling and swimming. Everything was included to fully enjoy the day... even beach matts and snorkle equipment. We even saw several whales on the way over. Do this if you can. What a great day!

Boulder, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“You get what you pay for! Worth the extra $ of other boats!”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This was one of those scenarios where we chose the trip that cost more b/c it was recommended and now I can see why! We did the Molokini Snorkel Discovery. You definitely get what you pay for! Attentive staff, low occupancy numbers and very delicious food! I am picky so that is a HUGE compliment! We went on an extra wavy day so I am glad my family and I took Bonine (to prevent sea sickness). We didn't notice a thing! The snorkeling was great and the whale sightings were incredible! All the staff was fantastic and was great when my 6 year old son was chatting their ear off! They all really loved their job and cared about every guest's experience! Can't recommend it enough! :)

1 Thank bouldersarahv
Seattle, WA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Wonderul Sail!”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My husband and I took a trip to Lanai on our anniversary and the experience was incredible (except for one small thing that I will get to). The food was great (and I am a very picky eater), the crew was a delight...we just loved it. The beach at Lanai was VERY hot in July so if you travel then, make sure you have protection.

And the litle thing? I remembered that I get super sea sick, no matter how calm the water just a little too late. Despite the nausea, I had fun!

Visited July 2011
Baltimore, MD
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fantastic trip, two great snorkel sites, friendly crew! Whale watching and sailing included”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We, myself and my husband, took the Trilogy Discover Molokini trip which was amazing. We got to snorkel at two great sites, one at the Molokini crater with great fish variety and the second at the Turtle viewing site. The crew was super friendly, and the atmosphere on the boat relaxed and fun. Staff members very professional, invisibly present at the right site at the right time! We not only got to experience wonderful snorkeling but also were well fed; the day started with coffe and juice, followed by super tasty cinamon rolls and fruit, to be followed by chips and salsa, to be then served salad and grilled chicken, and to top it all ice cream for desert. All served with a smile and good joke. Actually, I am amased how efficient the crew was. We even got to sail later during the trip once the wind picked up, and were lucky to spot some amasing whale activity, to include several, yes several, whale breaching episodes. What a fun trip. There were about 50 of us on the boat, which was nice as our snorkel sites were not as crowded as others; and we did see a few super overcrowded boats near by. In short, a great trip worth every penny. We are loking forward to doing it again.

1 Thank RobertToni