“Pleasantly surprised”

Kahana Villa Resort
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We arrived very late at night and since the front desk/office was closed - they had a number listed by the phone by the door. We called the number and they directed us to the locked boxes next to the phone. We were given a code and the box opened and our key was inside. We went to the room and were so pleased at the size of the room...a decent sized bedroom with queen bed, dresser and 2 night stands; a nice, clean, large bathroom; a kitchen with dishwasher, washer/dryer, oven, microwave; and diningroom/living room. Large flatscreen TV and wi fi hook-ups. The sliding glass doors led out onto a patio with a very private grassy "yard" that we could see the ocean from (the ocean was across the street and behind the sister resort - Kahana Sands). We never once heard our neighbors through the walls or upstairs, though our bedroom was an end room where we could hear the highway traffic. Any other room away from the end wouldn't be able to hear the cars I don't think. The condo was immaculate...new dishes (service for 8); wine glasses/water glasses/juice glasses -everything you could want in the kitchen. There was a wonderful orientation the first morning with a continental breakfast. The concierge (located at the Kahana resort across the street) was very helpful throughout our stay. Very well done...memorable.

Room Tip: End suite was too close to highway - two rooms over would have been quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Denise P
dloera, Manager at Kahana Villa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2011

Thank you for visiting Kahana Villa. We are happy you enjoyed your stay. As you noted in your review, our rooms are quite spacious and comfortable. The one-bedroom you enjoyed is 788-square feet, comes with a full kitchen and sleeps four. Our deluxe two-bedroom is 1,331-square feet, sleeps six and also has a full kitchen. We’re glad you liked the well-stocked cabinets and the ocean view from your secluded yard. Thank you for mentioning the cleanliness of your suite. Our housekeeping staff attends to our rooms as if they were their very own. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will stay with us again soon. Aloha!

Reviewed 1 November 2011

I have a bad back but never realized I would have so much trouble at Kahana Villas. The mattress was ancient and miserable. The sofa and chair was so cushy that even my husband (who is healthy) was uncomfortable. We had to bring in patio chairs to the livingroom. The shower must be turned on by grabbing the bottom of the spigot (very strange) and I could not bend over to turn on the shower. Not the place to stay if you have a bad back.

The cleaning personnel were very loud and woke us the ONE morning we didn't have a tour schedule and could sleep in.

When we registered and checked out, the desk person never said welcome, have a nice trip, etc. Very cold and unwelcoming.

The picture in the brochure is very deceiving. This property is made to look like it is on the beach. The beach is across the street and another property.

I would look for a more updated and comfortable property.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Dawn C
Reviewed 29 September 2011

After returning from the Sept 2011 trip there, I feel compelled to write a few points. In total the unit was adequate but FAR below the level of those found at other resorts I have traded for over my 20+ years of II and RCI timeshare ownership.

Because we were making a rather late exchange, we took a 1 BR in exchange for our 2BR as that was the only availability on Maui at the time with AC. Probably that was a mistake! Maybe if we had asked or insisted to have an oceanview of 2br unit….if they would have complied, it would have been a far different experience.

The unit was clean and adequate, but very dated and had several major drawbacks:
1. The bed was AWFUL with coil springs that were almost protruding from the top of the mattress and slept very uncomfortably. Every movement is translated to your sleeping partner….if they could sleep either. We were never so happy as when we returned home to a premium bed, mattress and pillows.
2.Traffic noise at night became a problem, even though we were on the E block located off the beach road and not really close to the Hwy traffic
3.The AC was located at the far back wall of the unit and the BR was located at the far front, just inside the door with a Loooooong hallway connecting from the door back. To cool the BR, it was necessary to turn the in-wall unit to full blast to get cooling to the BR, and it was very LOUD if you were trying to watch TV in the family room.
4.The bathroom had the new CFL lights and even after the 2-4 minutes it took them to crank up, it was dark in the bath….and the fan was enough to hear from one end of the unit to the other.
5.The couch in the family room was a vintage 1980s hide-a-bed and was simply AWFUL to sit on…so much so that we normally watched TV in the BR instead.

All that aside, the facility we well kept outside, parking was plentiful and convenient and the pool area was always well kept. Although you “could not use the facilities at the sister sites”, we found there were no issues going across the street and using the beach chairs to relax on the oceanfront. The Sands restaurant had morning and afternoon specials that served good food at an attractive price. The welcome meeting the day after the arrival was held at the Sands and they have great concierge folks that were helpful booking outings, etc.
Although I might stay at the KV again, NEVER again in a 1br unit like we had for our stay!!

Room Tip: Avoid the 1br unit
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank LennyKChandler
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I don't usually write reviews, but in view of some mixed reviews here, I thought I would add our experience. We had a great week with none of the problems experienced by some others. We found our unit very clean and serviceable. The only thing we would change is the queen (?) bed. It seemed awfully small and was quite soft. This was a little tough on my wife's back. But yes, we would go back again.

Room Tip: You might ask for one with an ocean view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Walt D
Reviewed 3 July 2011

My parents stayed there for their 29th Anniversary and at first they loved the room. It was very nice and clean. But on the day of their anniversary my mom slipped and fell in the shower and the glass door fell off. Then when my dad went to help her, he slipped and hurt his arm. The anti slippery material was worn out on the bottom of the shower and the rubber rug was maybe only 1 x 2 ft big, definitely not big enough to stop someone from falling. Such a terrible thing to happen on their anniversary. A report was made but the manager is out until after the 4th of July weekend. The place is very nice and the staff was quick to respond but the tub needs some repairs to ensure this doesnt happen to other people.

• Stayed: July 2011
dloera, Manager at Kahana Villa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

We thank your parents for spending their anniversary with us and apologize for the bathtub incident. We hope they are both okay and that it didn’t compromise their celebration. Theirs was the first slip and fall reported this year. As far as bathmats go, we use a standard 22.5 x 14 mat in all tubs. We are happy that our staff was helpful and quick to respond, and that you found our resort otherwise enjoyable. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 25 February 2011

The front desk hours are rather sporadic; we had to go across the street to check in, get our room keys, get a 2nd key when the first one broke, and to get a 3rd and 4th one when the keys stopped working for some unknown reason. When they were there, they were very nice and very accomodating. The suite was incredibly outdated - while we have no problem with 80's style furnishings, the fact that it appears to have last been renovated or even repaired since the '80's was a huge issue. The washing machine was literally hanging on by a wire. We made due until one day it broke off completely. To be fair, maintenance came the same day and somehow managed to clip it back together again. They come once a week to give you new towels and take the rubbish so basically you have to wash the towels and take the garbage yourself. The AC unit was very old and very loud and at the end of the suite in the living room nowhere near the bedroom. We found 2 cockroaches in our suite and numerous beetles. The fridge door did not completely close but the oven was very clean; the fridge needed another wipe down. The cupboards were rather rickety and the bathroom was very old and the whole place needed updating. However, you get what you paid for in that it reasonably priced and if you think of it as an old cabin by the beach and just buy a large can of Raid and go with a nonchalant attitude, you could find it all right. The local restaurants are nice and the beaches especially in Kahlua Bay were awesome. Lahaina as always is lovely to visit. I honestly could not recommend this hotel to anyone unless you need a cheaper hotel and you have a very cool go with the flow, whatever goes relaxed attitude.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mauibabes1957
Reviewed 13 February 2011

This was my first time in Maui and I traveled with my parents, my husband and my 17-month old daughter. Our villa was nice and clean and it worked well for us having the two separate bedrooms and the pullout couch. This way my baby could have her own room and my husband and I stayed on the couch. We found the villa extremely quiet and peaceful - my baby slept every night for 12 hours straight!. The window air conditioner in the living room and the bedroom fans kept the villa at a comfortable temperature (even too cold at times!). The only complaint that I have is that we were there for two weeks and they only came to clean once. I know that you can pay to have it cleaned more often, but I just think that it should be cleaned more often included in the price that you pay. You do come back full of sand from the beach so the carpets should have been vacuumed more often. They did come once a week to refresh towels and take out the garbage. The suite is nice and spacious. The kitchen was nice - having updated appliances and a full fridge. There were also lots of dishes, pots and pans, etc. The pool and hot tub area was nice and easily accessible. If staying at this resort, budget in a rental car for your length of stay - there is plenty of free parking. The beach across the street isn't the best so you will have to drive to better beaches - the closest one being Kaanapali Beach. Also, it is about 15 mins from downtown Lahaina and about 5 minutes from the nearest grocery store (Times) in driving time. We had a very comfortable stay at Kahana Villas, but we aren't hard-to-please type of people and we didn't spend a whole lot of time in our suite - just to sleep, shower and eat breakfast!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank CJoJa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
5.2 km away
3.5 km away
The Gardens at West Maui Hotel
37.4 km away
Maui Banyan Vacation Club

Been to Kahana Villa Resort? Share your experiences!