“Spaaaaaaah!!! Best massage ever!”

Aston Kaanapali Shores
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 25 April 2008

We did not stay at Kaanapali Shores (we stayed at their sister hotel, the Mahana) but we were fortunate enough to book a massage at their spa on 4/17/08. On a whim one day, my husband decided he wanted a massage so I called and they got us both in that same afternoon. We were met at the front desk by Kelly who was extremely friendly and welcoming but the best part was yet to come. Libby, our Massage Therapist, was outstanding! My husband went first and when he came out he looked the most relaxed I'd ever seen him. He said it was the best massage he had ever experienced and told me he already planned to book another one the following Monday. I typically get several massages a year so my expectations were pretty high. I was not disappointed. Libby used the exact pressure I asked her to and I even opened my eyes once to see her sitting with her knees on the floor in order to get the right angle. I got a 50 minute massage which was around $99. I had the option of having my massage beach side, garden side or inside and I went with inside. I told her that I wanted her to spend more time on my upper back so she worked for 30 minutes on my back and then spent 20 minutes everywhere else. Usually, when I ask a Massage Therapist to do this they have a hard time breaking their routine and I only get about 10 minutes on my back. She really worked on getting the knots out of my back and I felt wonderful when I left. I'm sure the other Therapists are great too, but I would go with Libby if you get the chance. The only challenge is that I think she only works part time in the late afternoon and evening. If you are in Maui for a relaxing vacation, I can't think of a better way to relax than a massage with Libby.

Stayed: April 2008
Write a ReviewReviews (2,654)

Reviewed 22 April 2008

We stayed here from April 8-12. The stay was part of our honeymoon (we also spent time on Big Island). When we first checked in we got an 'ok' suite - good view but was older. I asked front desk to move me to a more updated room and was pleasantly surprised with the second option, great view and totally renovated suite. This hotel is geared towards families w/kids but for us that wasn't a problem because we didn't spend too much time at the resort and there weren't that many kids probably because school was still on. If you're planning on a honeymoon and will be spending more time at the resort you'll probably be better off elsewhere. But for the value and friendly accomodation you can't beat this place!
Beach is very rocky in front of the hotel, watch out or you'll come out with scrapes (water shoes recommended)
Nice grounds, very well kept.
Didn't eat at the restaurant but heard it was good. Whatever you do don't eat at Basil's by the Royal Lahaina- food was terrible and waaaay overpriced.

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank HotandCold
Reviewed 15 April 2008

Just spent an extremely relaxing weekend at the Kaanapali Shores. Our one bedroom oceanview room was just what the doctor ordered with all the comforts of home and none of the work. We didn't have to leave the hotel because the poolside, oceanview restaurant offers an array of choices including the decadent "Honokowai Pie" made of Kona coffee ice cream, a chocolate cookie crust topped with gooey fudge.

With the ocean steps away and two pools to choose from we never felt as though there were too many people around. I would highly recommend this hotel for a long or short stay ... with or without the kids.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KiheiSands
Reviewed 13 April 2008

spent two weeks at the resortquest kaanapali shores for our 20th anniversary/spring break with our kids.

we rented a two bedroom oceanview condo thru resortquesst using our entertainment card, and got a wonderful deal and a spectacular room. we were on the top floor of the building with an absolute view of the grounds, pools and the ocean. we watched the whales each morning from our rooms!

the front desk was very polite and accomodating. we requested a late check out due to a late flight and they allowed us to stay a few hours extra, and then even allowed us to use a room to shower beyond that check out i f we wanted.

as a family of seven, i can say that the condo worked wonderfully well. we could eat meals in if we wanted, we often used the bar be que for family cookouts when we didn't eat out. it is an easy walk up to the room for lunches or snacks.

our particular unit was updated and clean and comfortable. i was worried due to some of the reviews, but all worked out great for us. the only minor issue was that the housekeeping often only does minimal stuff since it is a condo. i have stayed in other condo resorts where they did more, but then in others where they did less........... so i guess overall they did ok. i just like them to do the work since i am on vacation..lol!

the grounds are so nice and the pools are warm, and the jacuzzi's hot. we were on site for easter, and they had a wonderful easter egg hunt for the kids. my son won a big basket with beach goodies.

there is a free hula show on wednesday nights. special drink prices and fun entertainment.

pool bar also has a great happy hour every day in the afternoon/early evening. they got to know us each day! great service! we never ate at the restaurant on site, so cannot comment on that.

the beach out front does have some rocks, and is perfect for snorkeling right there. it is not a big sandy beach, but most of the beaches have some rocks........ this is maui! there was plenty of sand for my kids to do all the sand activities and i thought the beach was fine, but as others have said, you can move down the beach a few steps to a sandy area. we also took a lot of day trips to other beaches..............NAPILI will always be a fave...........waves for the boogie boards, AND turles if you snorkel! what more could you ask for!

we would love to return to kaanaplai shores tomorrow if we could!
it is the perfect spot, close enough to everything, yet set apart from the roaring crowds of kaanapali beach.

3  Thank seventogo
Reviewed 11 April 2008

My husband and I stayed at Ka'anapali Shores April 1-8. We booked a studio, but were given a one bedroom (yay!). We had a full kitchen and washer and dryer. As others have said, the rooms are on the older side, but the decor seemed recent. Our kitchen appliances were pretty old, but they worked just fine. The room was clean and comfortable.

We had an ocean view, only partially obstructed by a building. We were on the top floor (9). We also had a great view of the courtyard area and one of the pools (the quieter one, thankfully!)

The pools (2) were nice. The pool nearest the beach was heated and fenced in, and therefore was the most crowded (lots of kids). The farther back pool was much cooler. Both pool areas had jacuzzis.

This was definitely a family resort. If you're looking for a very quiet, couples-only hotel this may not be the place for you.

As others have reported, the beach right outside the hotel was rocky. We wore water shoes, but you still had to watch your step and go slowly. While we were there, the ocean was kind of rough (at least for us midwesterners!) so we didn't do much ocean swimming there. The beach was a great spot for sunsets and whale watching. One night we saw a whale breach 7 times just about 100 yds out!

Across the street was a mini mall with a grocery store and a few restaurants and shops. We ate at Java Jazz a few times (yummy). We did drive to get to most other things. It was about a 5-10 minute drive to Whaler's Village, and about 15 mins to Lahaina. We kind of liked that this hotel wasn't in such a crowded area. There is a restaurant/bar on the property. It was kind of pricey for dinner, food was fine.

Since we had a late flight home, we were able to check out of our room and give our bags to the bellman. We were able to use the amenities until 6 pm. We were also given a "courtesy suite" to use for 1 hour to shower and change. This worked out well for us.

We would stay here again. It was by no means a luxury resort, but the rooms were clean and comfortable, and the grounds were beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bt33107
Reviewed 1 April 2008

We just returned from the Kaanapali Shores-not impressed!
First off-when checking in-we were informed our Aloha Suite booked 9 months earlier was overbooked-and wouldn't be available for three nights-this was the main reason we booked here! This place is old and rather run down. Also this place is not on Kaanapali Beach! It is north of Kaanapali and the beach in front of the hotel is very rocky. It has a good snorkeling spot and a little bit of break for surfing out a little ways but not good for children. I must say the food at The Beach Club was pretty good.
Next time we will stay on Kaanapali Beach and snorkel at Black Rock. It was awesome!

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
2BFair, Management at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2008

We were disappointed to read of this guest's only moderate satisfaction level, as we strive to exceed the expectations of our guests. As can be seen by the many other more positive reviews, we normally succeed in that endeavor.

Reviewed 25 March 2008

I stayed in a 1 bedroom oceanview unit at the Kaanapali Shores with my husband and 2 kids (ages 7 and 4) from March 7-13, 08. We had stayed here 8 years ago with friends and loved it, but we weren't sure if it would be as great 8 years later. I had read many reviews prior to booking, so knew to request a recently renovated unit. I also made a point of calling the day before arrival to request this again. We arrived very late at night, after a long trip from Toronto. Check-in was seamless and exceptionally pleasant, and we were given a renovated unit. The condo was exceptional, the kitchen and bathroom were brand new, along with the carpet, furniture, etc. It was perfect. The bed was extremely comfortable, however the pull-out sofabed for the kids was pretty "springy" (fine for kids, but an adult could not sleep on it).

The staff was wonderful: after we had checked out we realized that our 4 year daughter had left her purse on the back of a door in the condo. She was devastated. We contacted the hotel and they located the purse, and offered to Fed Ex it to our next destination in Kauai. Sure enough, it arrived in Kauai the next day. They couldn't have been more helpful; it was wonderful.

I agree with other reviewers that the location is excellent, grounds are beautiful, restaurant is fairly good with reasonable prices, pools and hot tubs are great. Even the shops have some great items at reasonable prices.

Overall, request a renovated unit, and you should end up getting great value for your money. The Kaanapali Shores exceeded our expectations once again.

2  Thank HappyTravellers2008