“Very Merry Christmas!”

Aston Kaanapali Shores
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 8 January 2009

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful 2-week stay at Kaanapali Shores. We booked 3 condos in all -- 1 for us and 1 each for both our sons and their families. There were 11 of us in all. All units were supposed to be gardenview, our sons' were 2-bedroom units because of their families. I read many of the reviews before we left and was somewhat apprehensive. Upon our arrival, I did not feel well because of some bad airport food and more or less fell into bed. By morning, when I felt better and looked around more, it was obvious, we had not been given renovated units -- but ours seemed sufficient , though dated, and very clean. The view from our balcony was very pretty. When our second son arrived several days later, he was given the choice of an upgraded ocean front renovated unit for what seemed like a nominal fee or the unit his family was originally assigned. He and his wife looked at both units and decided to spend the extra money and took the ocean front renovated unit.
It was beautiful and we could see the vast difference in renovated and non-renovated units. I checked with the desk later to see if our other son's family could also get a renovated unit and there was no problem at all getting them moved, and there was no charge. They were moved up higher up above the trees, so they had a partial view of the ocean, and their unit was beautiful also. Housekeeping was wonderful and very cooperative about helping them get moved. All we had to do was ask. Since I didn't intend to use the kitchen much anyway and our bathroom was just fine, my husband and I stayed in our original unit, but I'm sure we could have been moved if we would have asked. It was Christmas time, so Santa was there for the children. Pictures could be taken with him and the kids could decorate their picture frames. We were given lights to decorate our balconies however we wanted. Some people were very creative! We were treated to egg nog and cookies one evening. The lobby and grounds at the resort are just as beautiful as described by others on this website. It was a pleasure to walk through them. We ate at the restaurant occasionally and thought it was pretty good and wasn't any more expensive than most of the restaurants in the area. Kids only eat free for lunch! We enjoyed the beach, but there are reefs but you can learn to look out for them. It's not as traumatic as some make it out to be. Fleming Beach is just up the road about 10 minutes and there are no rocks there. The pizza place across the street is excellent and there is a MacDonald's 5 minutes away. The Star Market is good if you need something on the run, but Safeway's prices are much better. Kaanapali Shores is great for kids. Our grandkids loved it. They could swim and run and play. Beach chairs are at a premium, so you need to get there early in the morning if you want anywhere to sit for the rest of the day. Beach towels were abundant. We stay at timeshares frequently and never have maid service. What a treat! The staff is so nice too! If I'd change anything I'd include the parking fee in the room charge rather than making it separate. I'd also replace the light bulbs with a higher watt bulb. The dark shades, especially in the bedroom make it difficult to see. All in all, I don't know why I was so worried. I guess some people are never satisifed. This was perfect for us and was a vacation we will never forget.

1  Thank LassieTroy
Write a ReviewReviews (2,655)

Reviewed 5 January 2009

Our family travels very large. We were 2 adults, 2 tweens, 2 teens and grandma. The 2 bedroom 2 bath unit housed all of us perfectly. Unit 259 was clean and well stocked. We could not have had a better experience (our 3rd) in Maui. Well, if only the weather would've cooperated...............

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2009

I am a travel agent by occupation, so whenever I do get a chance to take a vacation I like to pick destinations and properties that I sell to my clients. My husband and I found the Kaanapali Shores to be most impressive. We had a one bedroom ocean view condo unit. It was spacious, full kitchen facilities, daily maid service, washer/dryer and a very friendly staff. The grounds were immaculate with a wonderful concierge service and we were able to book our whale watch trip and car rental right from the travel agency located at the hotel.
I would recommend that any one booking this property also book a car for your entire stay so that you can come and go and grocery shop at the local stores with ease.
Also, the hotel is located on Kaanapal Beach, so we walked the entire beach down to the Royal Lahaina each day. It was great!
Great for families, wonderful pool area and restaurant. Full service is the word!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2008

We just returned from our stay at the Kaanapali Shores. We were in a 2-bedroom Ocean Front Aloha Suite (#602). Our room was very nice and very roomy. We had 5 adults and a baby (they brought in a crib) staying and were not crowded at all. The views from our balcony were amazing. Just a few small things..we felt the price we were paying should have included the amenities of the hotel. Having to pay $9 a day to park and $2.50 a day to use the safe in our room was a little pricey. Also, our group would have used the fitness room. However, $10 per day PER PERSON is ridiculous~

Overall, we had a wonderful vacation!!

Reviewed 27 December 2008

My husband, myself and two teeange girls loved our stay at the Kaanapali Shores. We booked directly with ResortQuest and requesed an oceanfront room. I worried about this after some of the reviews talked about run down rooms, but I was very pleased when we checked into room 161. We just walked steps out of our patio and were on the wonderful beach! The view was breathtaking and we were so close to the pool and restaurant that the girls were on their own a lot. The ground were beautifully kept and I can't find one thing to complain about. One of our girls kept saying "I love this place" everytime we went to the store. If you are looking for a quality condo with good amenitites of a resort, this is for you. It's not the "Luxury" version of a condo, but it is "very nice" and I think you will love it. We will definately stay here again, given the opportunity.

1  Thank lovethebeachchris
Reviewed 26 December 2008

My family of 4, including 2 teenagers, stayed in a 2 bdr oceanview unit (#915) from Dec 14 - 22. The unit was very clean, spacious and had a great view. We enjoyed watching the whales every day and saw dolphins and monk seals on a few occasions as well. We walked to black rock every day and I would say that the beach in front of Kaanapali Shores was one of the nicest compared to some of the others along the 2 km stretch of beach. We were expecting 2 twin beds in the second bedroom but there was a double bed. Since we arrived VERY late (thank you Air Canada) we used the pullout couch which proved to be surprisingly comfortable so the kids alternated and it worked out fine. The daily housekeeping was great and the public areas were clean, modern, and well maintained. The free wireless internet was sometimes hard to get a connection but we found that taking the computer to the lanai worked best. I would definitely stay here again, and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a family-oriented, oceanfront property.

1  Thank Consuela604
Reviewed 23 December 2008

In Lahaina for business for a week, and was really expecting a nice stay based on the reviews. However, I was very, very disappointed in this hotel. My room looked like a page out of the 70's that has not been updated since.
I made a list of the following issues:

Only internet offered was wireless. It was free, but you got what you paid for. Signal was * terrible *, and considering I was there for work it was essentially worthless. Forget staying connected to your corporate VPN. In addition, the company that runs their internet support (which I called twice) had me on hold for 20 min both times, and I never even got to speak to an agent.

Appliances looked run down, and like they were purchased in the 70's. 2 of the 4 oven burners were worthless as they were too off-balance to use.

Over half of the dishes that I tried to use out of the cupboard were dirty.

The carpet was dingy and stained throughout.

The tiles in the shower were dirty and moldy, and outside of the tub the tiles were cracked and corroded. The shower sprayed from a leak at the top so that if you did not make a tight seal between the shower curtain and the wall, the toilet and floor outside of the shower would get soaked.

The plastic knob that adjusts the water temp in the shower was broken so that I was stuck with the temp of the water, which fortunately was at least luke-warm.

Both the shower drain and the bathroom sink drain backed up each time I used them.

There were lots of little bugs, the gnat-y kind that you see around rotten fruit. They were incredibly annoying and ubiquitous.

You had to pay $9/day for parking. The hotel tries to convince you this is a great deal by telling you "you can come in and out as many times a day as you like"

All-around tacky and out-dated design.

The birds! Oh my god, the birds! The numerous trees in the courtyard of the hotel apparently attract THOUSANDS of birds in the morning and evening hours, and the cacophony was so loud that I literally had to close the sliding glass doors to have a conversation on the phone. I have never heard such a loud assembly of birds in my life. Luckily my bedroom was on the opposite side of the room from the courtyard, or I would not have been able to sleep past whatever time in the a.m. they started to congregate.

Now, to be fair, there was a few positive things about the hotel:

Nice lobby.
Friendly staff.
VERY conveniently located across the street from restaurants, coffee shop, grocery store, dive shop, and bar.

All in all, a very disappointing experience. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank w00tTang
2BFair, Management at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2008

There is a charge for parking at most major resorts in Kaanapali. In some cases, it is built into a "resort services fee," but is there nonetheless. Our $9/day is on the lower side of the spectrum. Having an attendant (and thus an active set of eyes and ears) on-site adds to the secure nature of our parking facility. You don't find this on properties that offer free parking.

The vast majority of the resort’s units are serviced by our on-site team. It appears this was not one of them and that maintenance and upkeep may be handled by the owner of the unit, or by a management company. There are very few units within the entire complex that are in a condition such as the one described by this guest. Over 93% of the total units received upgrades that included new paint, carpet, furniture, art, drapery and bedding only a few short years ago. We have a brand new central air conditioning system and continue to upgrade appliances monthly. Again, we trust you will understand that this situation is not representative of the "norm" at Kaanapali Shores. Mahalo.