“Great place for the price”

Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
San Francisco
“Great place for the price”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed with my family for a week. 2 kids age 4 and 5. We booked with Orbitz but I called to upgrade to a nicer room. Was worried about getting a dated grungy room so we paid extra for the "premium Oceanside" room. The upgrade was well worth it. We were in room 171 and it was close to beach, pool, restaurant, and walking path. We loved the lanai and the low key, non-resort feel. It was a studio and a bit small for four of us, but not so small that it was cramped. The grounds were awesome and well maintained. Housecleaning was bad as some other reviewers noted, and our room had a stereo system that no one could get to work which is the reason for the 4 stars. They also do not refill coffee in room daily, and u have to call if u want new beach towels. The beach was great, but a little steep for kids. They got used to the waves and ended up loving it, but did swallow some water a few times. If u r going to hang at the beach a lot, rent a cabana for a week for 100 bucks. You can walk to Whalers Village, but its not super close. We will for sure stay here again but may go for the 1 bedroom next time. Well worth it! We had a fabulous, relaxing time!

Room Tip: Ask for a premium room that seen renovated. Ground floor has grass for kids to run around.
1 Thank mrkitty3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Korean first
London, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We just returned from our holiday in beautiful Maui. We travelled with our 2 kids, my mother, and my husbands parents. MKV is a great place for families. Great location, with snorkelling close by, either black rock or a large coral reef just minutes away. The Villa has beautiful grounds and with a nice gathering area. My only complaint is that the front desk staff, with the exception of one, were all very distracted and not very welcoming. I realize its a busy place, but when you have just travelled 15 hours to get there and not one person makes eye contact with you to assist with checking in, it certainly isn't the greeting that is expected. Pretty much everyday was like that. Walking in and out of the lobby area multiple times a day, we saw many unhappy visitors, with the staff seeming very impatient in dealing with anyone. With that aside, the rooms were clean and comfortable, the house keeping staff was very friendly and helpful. We will be returning to Maui again next year, I will still keep MKV in mind because of the locationand beautiful grounds!

Room Tip: Make sure to request a Lania with actual usable space. Ours was so small you could not fit a chair...
3 Thank mango1421
Rocklin
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We were there from 4/2 thru 4/6 and stayed on Room 305. We had started our honeymoon on the Big Island and then Maui! Unit 305 is a 1 bedroom, 1 bath, premium oceanview room. It was beautiful. Kitchen was lovely with granite top counters and stainless steel appliances. The kitchen had everything you could want, coffee maker, blender, toaster, utensils, etc. The frig kept everything ice cold. The bathroom was huge with two separete sinks and a seperate toilet and shower area. The bedroom was large with plenty of storage, but the bed was a best. Hoping the manager will read this and email me with the name of the type of mattress that is in that room. (happi108@gmail.com) We want to buy it ASAP!. I haven't slept that good in years. I meant to take a picture of the tag sewn on the mattress, but forgot. The unit was decorated beaufifully it had a beautiful view of Kaanapali Beach and the pool area. The grounds are kept so nicely manicured. We did not visit the pool at all! I always wondered why people go to Hawaii and spend time at a pool, but I suppose some don't like sand and salt walter! :) We were at the beach most days and its a great spot. The "grading" is less steep here than in any part of Kaanapali Beach. I have stayed all over this area, and the beach at this resort is tops!! I would recommend visiting Boss Frogs for snorkel rental, cause the guy renting equipment at the resort is high! Parking was not great. But my sweet husband would drop me off and then go find a spot! The trolley was great to get back and forth from Whalers Village or Black Rock. We paid for parking the first night and it cost $12, so use the trolley and remember to tip the nice driver! We will definately be back to the Kaanapali Villas, The staff were friendly and accomodating. The place is well kept. We slept with the two living room and bedroom sliders open every night! This is a quiet place, so if your looking to party all night, consider downtown lahaina!

Room Tip: We booked our vacation through Hawaiian Airlines Vacation Packages. I was able to add a note when I...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jacqueline L
Auburn,IN
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My family stayed here last week, and we had a wonderful time. The beach was beautiful. They have a very nice pool that had a section my 3 year old could swim in also. The room was very clean and had everything we needed. They have large grills outside. I would definitely stay here again! Probably the one and only bad thing I can think of is that the pillows weren't very comfortable..they made my neck hurt.

3 Thank jes425
Maple Ridge BC
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The resort was very clean and well maintained.The grounds are very lush and tropical...not very big and extravagant like Sheraton ,but not as jam-packed with people either.The staff was very friendly,helpful and accommodating,going out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.Only 1 restaurant on site with limited menu choices.Beach was very clean,soft sandy bottom,great snorkeling just a few hundred feet away in both directions (black rock-south)( park-north)
Lots of elderly(60 + ) some young families.Resort is very quiet by 8/9 pm. Not recommended for people who want to party the night away...But it is very close to Lahaina ,where there are many restaurants and bars.Overall if your are looking for a quiet tropical location to relax with shopping and dining near by ,this is a good place to try.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms along walkway can be noisy early mornings due to joggers/walkers. Each room is d...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank AngelaRMapleRidgeBC
nashille
Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here and it was great! the beach was wonderful, the had several pools, nice. Restaurant and bar very good. They gave you beach towels everyday. There was a great shuttle service at hotel. All in all I would definitely stay there again. The welcome desk was great on helping with the tours.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank btownerNashille
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Before arriving in mayo for our stay I called twice to verify the room reservation had a crib the gentleman on the phone both times assured me it was in the computer upon arrival noticed room was spectacular for the price then I turned the a/c on one vent in entire room and it wasn't blowing hardly any air at all so I went back to the desk and told the clerk she let me check 2 other rooms both were the same so we stayed in the current room and the clerk called maintience the maintience man adjusted the fins in the vent and said it was fine didn't even check the a/c unit itself after this noticed room didn't have a crib so back to the desk I go the clerk said she would have one sent up well guess what we finally got one on the second day of our stay after speaking with four different desk clerks besides those two problems everything was wonderfully

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank ryurati
PatFlinn, General Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Aloha,
Thank you for telling me about the challenges you experienced during your stay. I am disappointed and frustrated that our Front Desk team was not responsive to your needs.
Please rest assured that I will be sharing your comments with our staff and discussing our strategies for preventing a repetition of this type of experience. I also want to apologize for our air conditioning not meeting your expectations. I appreciate your other positive comments about your room and our property and I hope that we will have an opportunity in the future to have you back and change your mind about our Front Desk.
Mahalo