“Beautiful, beautiful place to stay”
Review of Kaanapali Alii

Kaanapali Alii
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The rooms are great, the view is great, the beds are great, the decorating is great, the housekeeping staff are great, this place is spectacular and worth the money. We loved our stay here and our view. We spent a lot of time on our lanai. It was wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd floor or higher for best views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed at the Alii for 10 days at the end of August 2013 with two teenagers - son, 16 and daughter 14. Booked an Oceanview condo which was divine. We were in number 446 which had apparently been updated in the past two years. Natural stone tile throughout. High quality appliances. Large rooms - living area as well as bedrooms and bathrooms. We had two bedrooms - each with their own full bathroom. Each bathroom had a separate toilet area. Water pressure in the shower was divine. One of the bedrooms had a king size bed, the other had a two queens which was a perfect set up or us. There were huge floor to ceiling windows throughout the unit.

The kitchen was fully stocked with every utensil, pot , dish you could want. They even had Tupperware dishes for leftovers! Having a washer and dryer in the unit was also perfect. The Alii provides the dish washing liquid and the washing machine soap so you do not need to bring any. They also provided coffee for the coffee pot.

The ocean view was wonderful. Every morning, my husband and I would sit out on the lanai with our coffee and watch the sun rise (we are early risers). It was so peaceful. As soon as the sun was up, you could see people running on the boardwalk in front of the beach or already in ocean.

The Alii has a very nice set up. Four buildings surrounding the pool area. By the pool area, there was a covered lanai which including a big screen TV and a seating area. One day when my son had enough, he sat and watched a preseason football game. It worked out well because we were all in the pool area and he was still outside with us. There is also a BBQ station with several BBQ's right by the pool area. My husband did the grilling and said that it was a very social atmosphere and he chatted with some very nice people as he was cooking our dinner. Many families chose to eat their meal at the tables by the pool. We always ate ours in our condo -- it was just so nice.

The fitness area at the Alii is among the best that I have seen. There is a full selection of treadmills, stationary bikes, spinning bikes and ellipticals in addition to free weights and weight machines. There is also a separate room for stretching and yoga. There is a yoga teacher who comes to the Alii 3 mornings a week at 7 a.m. and leads a class on the grass by the beach. My husband and I did one of the classes (we wanted to do all three but had booked two excursions that required an early departure to arrive on time). The instructor was excellent. She reinforced form and technique in a gentle way and we both felt amazing after the class. It was so nice to be able to do the class outside and hear/see the waves crashing on the beach at the same time.

Because we were arriving late evening, we went to the Safeway(which is enroute from the airport) in Lahaina to get our groceries so that we would have food for the morning. When we got to the Alii, the bellman(?) Chris (who was fantastic), helped us unload all of our groceries and our luggage and took us to the room pointing out all the amenities of the resort along the way. It was so easy! I had had visions of schlepping groceries bags back and forth and we did it all in one trip. The Alii really has this down to a science. (NOTE: I had read in earlier Trip Advisor notes that there was a Costco. What I didn't realize is that it is right by the airport which is a 45 minute drive from the Alii. If you want to shop at Costco, I would highly recommend that you do it when you arrive - the Costco is right outside the airport beside the KMart (which has a huge sign that you won't miss). On the other hand, the Safeway is amazing. It is well stocked and had everything we wanted and more.

The beachfront location of the Alii was perfect for every water activity. It also included a lovely boardwalk. As you turn right out of the Alii, you head towards Whalers Village which is a shopping/restaurant area about 5-10 minute walk from the hotel. We ate at a number of the restaurants there (fav was informal beach part of Hula). We would sometimes walk down after dinner for an ice cream. During the day, the Shave Ice place was open which was also very popular. The complex included a combo of high end stores and stores that would appeal to my teenagers (Quicksilver, Roxy, Volcom) as well as an ABC store so that if you forgot anything at home, you could pick it up without having to get in your car.

The staff at the Alii were also amazing. On three separate occasions, we had to call someone to our room -- eg., when we couldn't get the free WiFi to work. Jeff was patient, determined and resourceful in fixing the problem. We appreciated the Alii's responsiveness and determination to make sure that everything was right.

While we booked most of our activities ourselves, we also used Fuji, the concierge to book a few for us. Her recommendations were bang on for our family. She was very collaborative in determining the kind of experience that we were looking for and took care of all the arrangements. We were then able to change the cost to our room and just pay when we left.

We can't recommend the Alii highly enough. Our kids thought this was the perfect vacation -- a nice blend of seeing and trying new activities and feeling right at home. We will be back!

Room Tip: We were in room 446 which was a 2 bedroom , two bath oceanview. I would absolutely return to this un...
7  Thank OakvilleMatriarch
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We enjoyed having the opportunity to do some of the cooking without going out every night.
The condo we rented was ok but in much need of updating. The unit had a third room that was being used as a bedroom.. I believe there are only a very few like this at Alii. Loved the grounds and pools.

Room Tip: When checking in, ask for a room that is newly remodeled because some are very rundown if not redon...
5  Thank bobvickie
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Our family of five just spent 8 nights at the Kaanapali Alii and it was perfect for us. We stayed in the 1 bedroom with a den (really as second bedroom) and two bathrooms. Plenty of room to spread out. Full kitchen was well equipped and having a washer/dryer was a must for us during a beach vacation. I went through Maui Beachfron Rentals because I wanted to make sure we had an updated unit.

The grounds of the Alii are really pretty and very well maintained. There are four buildings, a great (according to my husband) work out facility, nice pool that has a covered patio with free coffee and water and flat screen tvs, several large bbq grills with a table area to eat and a tennis courts.

The location of the Alii is idea. Kaanapali beach is beautiful and the Alii is an easy walk to Whalers Village with a lot of shops and restaurants and the Black Rock (my boys favorite thing).

We were there at the end of August and it was not overcrowded. My one complaint about the pool is that there are only four covered thatch --pupulas? Anyway, people come down at 8:00 am and reserve them by putting towels on the lounge chairs but sometimes don't come back down and use them for hours. There are other lounge chairs that have shade near the covered patio but they are all really close together.

The staff was very friendly. My boys (age 13) took advantage of the free movie rental several times. We used the conceirge to book surf lessons for the boys and we also rented snorkle gear and a boogie board through the office.

My kids brought a frisbee and enjoyed playing with it on the grassy area near the pool many times.

Great vacation.

Room Tip: We were in Building 1 (unit 151) and I had read previous reviews that complained about noise from th...
1  Thank njdixiedarling
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Perfect hosting, great place for rest and relaxing in nice rooms and swimming in beautiful ocean. We were stay for 5 days with wonderful weather on april. Breakfast was delicious specially american breakfast. Profesional receiptions and staf. Clean yards with clean and nice sea side.

Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Just stayed a week at the Kaanapali Alii. Sure, it is more expensive to do this than staying at other Kaanapali resorts. But the quality is well worth it. Plus, plenty of quiet, no crowds at the pool, big condo with privacy for mom and dad and space for the teens. Could not have asked for a better experience. A big plus for us was having the washer/dryer in the condo so we packed half as much as we normally haul on these type of trips. We always had breakfast and lunch (and cocktails) at the condo which saved a ton of money. It truly felt like home away from home.

Room Tip: I would stay away from the ground floor.
1  Thank Timothy53202
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I went here with my teenagers (13 and 15) last week for 5 days to celebrate my birthday. I thought it would be a good idea to get a condo so I could do breakfast and lunch informally (we usually just graze anyway) and go out to dinner at night. I was a little nervous because some of the reviews had some ugly 1970s decor pictures for the condos, and I'd never actually been here, so I relied on reviews. Last year I stayed at the Sheraton, but they don't have suites, and I wanted an actual bed for each of the kids. Anyway we get there at 2pm after a delayed flight where they misplaced the kids' bags, and I was in a bad mood. They said, the room wasn't ready and to come back at 3pm. It was very hectic at 2pm, so fine, we went to the starbucks, did a little shopping, came back, room was still not ready at 3 or even at 315. I think they saw my long face, so they said, well , they're still cleaning, but you can go in. I said fine,(I just wanted to crash on the bed, which I did!). Took my nap, felt much better, and once that was done WOW, it was a beautiful 2 bedroom Condo! the rest of the vacation was fabulous. the location was great, the concierge service was awesome, and set us up for all the activities we wanted (horseback riding, zip lining, surfing, paddleboarding, luau) OMG, that lady was awesome. Dining options abounded, the atmosphere was very family friendly without being overrun by babies and tots ( no offense! mine were that age too) and the teens were happy. My son says he wants to go back and bring all his friends!. I think we will!

Room Tip: Ask for one one of the newly renovated rooms.
3  Thank babysmomma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
9.8 km away
36.8 km away
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
0.7 km away
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Kaanapali Alii? Share your experiences!