All reviews classic resorts whalers village ocean view pool area quiet pool living room full kitchen herb garden second bedroom bbq area tennis courts updated unit square feet black rock daily maid service laundry room washer dryer
Reviewed September 4, 2013

lovely location , peaceful, friendly staff and the apartment was a dream,staff very helpful and so friendly,all the amenities where in the apartment, kitchen well designed, nothing like waking up to the smell of fresh ground coffee

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eddie461
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The rooms are great, the view is great, the beds are great, the decorating is great, the housekeeping staff are great, this place is spectacular and worth the money. We loved our stay here and our view. We spent a lot of time on our lanai. It was wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd floor or higher for best views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed at the Alii for 10 days at the end of August 2013 with two teenagers - son, 16 and daughter 14. Booked an Oceanview condo which was divine. We were in number 446 which had apparently been updated in the past two years. Natural stone tile throughout. High quality appliances. Large rooms - living area as well as bedrooms and bathrooms. We had two bedrooms - each with their own full bathroom. Each bathroom had a separate toilet area. Water pressure in the shower was divine. One of the bedrooms had a king size bed, the other had a two queens which was a perfect set up or us. There were huge floor to ceiling windows throughout the unit.

The kitchen was fully stocked with every utensil, pot , dish you could want. They even had Tupperware dishes for leftovers! Having a washer and dryer in the unit was also perfect. The Alii provides the dish washing liquid and the washing machine soap so you do not need to bring any. They also provided coffee for the coffee pot.

The ocean view was wonderful. Every morning, my husband and I would sit out on the lanai with our coffee and watch the sun rise (we are early risers). It was so peaceful. As soon as the sun was up, you could see people running on the boardwalk in front of the beach or already in ocean.

The Alii has a very nice set up. Four buildings surrounding the pool area. By the pool area, there was a covered lanai which including a big screen TV and a seating area. One day when my son had enough, he sat and watched a preseason football game. It worked out well because we were all in the pool area and he was still outside with us. There is also a BBQ station with several BBQ's right by the pool area. My husband did the grilling and said that it was a very social atmosphere and he chatted with some very nice people as he was cooking our dinner. Many families chose to eat their meal at the tables by the pool. We always ate ours in our condo -- it was just so nice.

The fitness area at the Alii is among the best that I have seen. There is a full selection of treadmills, stationary bikes, spinning bikes and ellipticals in addition to free weights and weight machines. There is also a separate room for stretching and yoga. There is a yoga teacher who comes to the Alii 3 mornings a week at 7 a.m. and leads a class on the grass by the beach. My husband and I did one of the classes (we wanted to do all three but had booked two excursions that required an early departure to arrive on time). The instructor was excellent. She reinforced form and technique in a gentle way and we both felt amazing after the class. It was so nice to be able to do the class outside and hear/see the waves crashing on the beach at the same time.

Because we were arriving late evening, we went to the Safeway(which is enroute from the airport) in Lahaina to get our groceries so that we would have food for the morning. When we got to the Alii, the bellman(?) Chris (who was fantastic), helped us unload all of our groceries and our luggage and took us to the room pointing out all the amenities of the resort along the way. It was so easy! I had had visions of schlepping groceries bags back and forth and we did it all in one trip. The Alii really has this down to a science. (NOTE: I had read in earlier Trip Advisor notes that there was a Costco. What I didn't realize is that it is right by the airport which is a 45 minute drive from the Alii. If you want to shop at Costco, I would highly recommend that you do it when you arrive - the Costco is right outside the airport beside the KMart (which has a huge sign that you won't miss). On the other hand, the Safeway is amazing. It is well stocked and had everything we wanted and more.

The beachfront location of the Alii was perfect for every water activity. It also included a lovely boardwalk. As you turn right out of the Alii, you head towards Whalers Village which is a shopping/restaurant area about 5-10 minute walk from the hotel. We ate at a number of the restaurants there (fav was informal beach part of Hula). We would sometimes walk down after dinner for an ice cream. During the day, the Shave Ice place was open which was also very popular. The complex included a combo of high end stores and stores that would appeal to my teenagers (Quicksilver, Roxy, Volcom) as well as an ABC store so that if you forgot anything at home, you could pick it up without having to get in your car.

The staff at the Alii were also amazing. On three separate occasions, we had to call someone to our room -- eg., when we couldn't get the free WiFi to work. Jeff was patient, determined and resourceful in fixing the problem. We appreciated the Alii's responsiveness and determination to make sure that everything was right.

While we booked most of our activities ourselves, we also used Fuji, the concierge to book a few for us. Her recommendations were bang on for our family. She was very collaborative in determining the kind of experience that we were looking for and took care of all the arrangements. We were then able to change the cost to our room and just pay when we left.

We can't recommend the Alii highly enough. Our kids thought this was the perfect vacation -- a nice blend of seeing and trying new activities and feeling right at home. We will be back!

Room Tip: We were in room 446 which was a 2 bedroom , two bath oceanview. I would absolutely return to this unit. The décor was elegant and comfortable. We noticed that several other units on our floor were "having their carpets cleaned" because they had notices on their doors saying just that. I would not want to stay in a unit with a carpet. We also had a corner unit so with the big, bright windows we were drenched with light. Also important for me. During the day, you could hear the noise from the pool - kids screaming etc. Not unexpected if you are travelling during the summer break. Didn't bother us but if you were looking for a quiet "kid free" location and you expect to be in your room during the day, you might want to opt for something other than an oceanview.
7  Thank OakvilleMatriarch
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We enjoyed having the opportunity to do some of the cooking without going out every night.
The condo we rented was ok but in much need of updating. The unit had a third room that was being used as a bedroom.. I believe there are only a very few like this at Alii. Loved the grounds and pools.

Room Tip: When checking in, ask for a room that is newly remodeled because some are very rundown if not redone.
5  Thank bobvickie
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our family of five just spent 8 nights at the Kaanapali Alii and it was perfect for us. We stayed in the 1 bedroom with a den (really as second bedroom) and two bathrooms. Plenty of room to spread out. Full kitchen was well equipped and having a washer/dryer was a must for us during a beach vacation. I went through Maui Beachfron Rentals because I wanted to make sure we had an updated unit.

The grounds of the Alii are really pretty and very well maintained. There are four buildings, a great (according to my husband) work out facility, nice pool that has a covered patio with free coffee and water and flat screen tvs, several large bbq grills with a table area to eat and a tennis courts.

The location of the Alii is idea. Kaanapali beach is beautiful and the Alii is an easy walk to Whalers Village with a lot of shops and restaurants and the Black Rock (my boys favorite thing).

We were there at the end of August and it was not overcrowded. My one complaint about the pool is that there are only four covered thatch --pupulas? Anyway, people come down at 8:00 am and reserve them by putting towels on the lounge chairs but sometimes don't come back down and use them for hours. There are other lounge chairs that have shade near the covered patio but they are all really close together.

The staff was very friendly. My boys (age 13) took advantage of the free movie rental several times. We used the conceirge to book surf lessons for the boys and we also rented snorkle gear and a boogie board through the office.

My kids brought a frisbee and enjoyed playing with it on the grassy area near the pool many times.

Great vacation.

Room Tip: We were in Building 1 (unit 151) and I had read previous reviews that complained about noise from the Westin construction and the luaus they have at night. The luau noise was not an issue and can not imagine that it will be a problem for anyone. We did hear construction noise but it did not start until 9ish in the mornings. Again not a problem for us because we did not spend that much time during the condo during the day. The noise we heard was more a beeping sound from trucks backing up than a pounding sound and it was not constant throughout the day.
1  Thank njdixiedarling