“Great location but . . .”

Lahaina Shores Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed in Room 703 (a 1 bedroom) for a week in April.

First of all, loved the location. It is located just a couple minute walk from town, close to the hustle and bustle, but not in the middle of it. Great front office staff and pleasant lobby.

As others have noted, this room is in need of an update. There are annual posters on the wall through 2002 . . . and I think that's the last time anybody paid attention. Paint would be useful, Removing nonworking kitchen appliances would be better, Clearning things like HVAC filters would be stupendous. A new firmer mattress would be out of this world.

And internet access is horrible. We are the modern family, three laptops and an Ipad. First of all, there is no wireless . . . so, if I were traveling with only my Ipad, as I often do, I would not have been able to even access the internet. Secondly, only one device can be logged on at a time. So, the simple idea that one of us might be on facebook while two of us are watching a movie is not feasible. Third, the ethernet cable was so old and cracked, I had to go to Radio Shack to replace it (and was reimbursed).

But listening to and watching the ocean every night can not be beat!

PS We rented through Whalers Realty.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank cajbo

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Just back from a 3 night stay here. Loved it. Perfect location, hotel is a little dated, no wifi, no restaurant on site. But great lil bar next door and convienience store too. We loved that it was just walking distance from town and had its own little private-ish beach. Fantastic place to watch the sunset!
Rooms could do with an update, our was very old school Hawaii. but had eveything we needed.
No real complaints!
would go back and def reccomend people to stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simonamona
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Pros:
-LOVED the location - this was the best part. It is right in old Lahaina, away from the tourist trap up further north around the large resorts and the mall. There is a little restaurant right next door that has a great breakfast, and lots of restaurants dotted throughout Lahaina.
-The View - We had an ocean-view room with a lanai, which I think we had to pay slightly more for, but it was worth it. There was a luau at the restaurant next door, but the noise wasn't that annoying, and we could watch it (sort of) from our lanai.
-There was a kitchenette, which made a week's stay great! We could make some of our own meals and keep the cocktails cold!

CONS: The only negative was that the bed was a murphy bed that wasn't all that comfortable, but we are pretty easy to please so it wasn't a huge deal. Also, I believe each unit may be individually owned (? - not sure about that), and our unit's furnishings were slightly outdated.

I would recommend this place if you want a little better value than the bigger resorts, and enjoy being a little away from the toursity feel.

Room Tip: I can't remember how much more it costs for a beach view, but it was SO WORTH IT.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amandabc123
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed in room 531 which was a premier room. Tile floors, granite counter tops and solid wood cupboards, very nice. Perfect location close to bars and shops, service & staff were very friendly. The pool was a disappointment to me, I found it very cold, but overall it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for premier room. Others were upset with the state of the carpets in some regular...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The ocean was a rocks throw away from our lanai, and the sound of the waves put us to sleep every night. My favorite part of our vacation was leaving the lanai door open and listening to the waves crash, and sitting out on the lanai each night and morning watching the beautiful ocean (during whale season people see many whales from their lanai).

The resort is pretty small which makes it very intimate, and I have never stayed anywhere where the ocean is that close to your room.

The condo style room was big and had everything we needed. The full kitchen was nice and we had a few breakfasts and dinners in our room.

The bed came down from the wall, which was nice because it gave us more room when we weren't sleeping. The bed was unbelievably comfortable which was surprising considering it came out of the wall. We have never slept so well in our lives.

The hotel is quiet and the views are breathtaking. The location is very nice because it is at the end of Lahaina, so it is not in a busy location, but it is only a couple minute walk to all the restaurants and shops. There are also some restaurants and stores right next door which is very nice.

The hotel welcome/information breakfast was very appreciated. We booked our excursions here. The Road to Hana tour, a snorkling excursion, and a Hawaiian Luau. We enjoyed all of the excursions.

The hotel was very clean and the staff were very nice and helpful.

The pool was also very clean and had a nice view of the ocean. It was small, but since it is a small hotel, it was never overcrowded and was just big enough.

The beach area does not have much sand and is very rocky and shallow. With water shoes, it is a nice place to take a quick cool-off dip, but it is not ideal for swimming. There were a lot of people paddleboarding though since it is the perfect location because there are not many waves during the day. Some people were also snorkling a little further out. There are some beautiful beaches pretty close by though so we rented a car and drove to some of the nicer beaches a couple of times. The view from our room and the relaxing atmosphere made up for the not so ideal swimming conditions.

The hotel is a great place to go for a relaxing retreat, either with friends or family. There is not much to offer for kids, but there were kids there during our stay and they seemed to be enjoying themselves. I would recommend it to couples, honeymooners, babymooners, and people that just want to relax and are looking for an amazing view.

It did not have the typical hotel feel, it was more like a home away from home. We would return to this location in a heartbeat.

We were very sad to leave after 6 days.

Room Tip: I would recommend an Ocean view room. The mountain view is also spectacular, but the sound and view...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My only negative is that there isn't wifi (I'm used to staying at places w/wifi), otherwise, everything else was pretty good! The location is great, at the south end of Lahaina's main "downtown" core. You can easily walk to the main shopping strip, where all the restaurants and shops are. We had a mountain view room, and the mountain view is great. I was a little concerned that I would regret not getting an oceanview room, but it was gorgeous. The studio had plenty of space and there was a balcony where I had breakfast each day. A Foodland grocery store is at the other end of the shopping strip (so we drove over there, to avoid having to walk back w/heavy groceries), but it's definitely walkable too. The room wasn't one of the newest remodeled ones, but was still fine. The towels were great, housekeeping did a great job each day. No complaints about the room, really.

Parking was $8/day, not too unreasonable I suppose. The price of the hotel even w/having to pay extra for parking still seemed worth it. The beach in front of the hotel area is really short (from the exit of the hotel to the water's edge is only a couple feet). You can watch the sunset over the water comfortably from the pool area, where there's lots of lawn chairs on the grass area.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I searched long and hard for where to stay in Maui. We decided we wanted a place within walking distance of Lahaina shops, bars and restaurants. This was the only property that seemed to fit this. I was hesitant the the resort may be a little dated as the photos didn't do it much justice. I actually ended up booking direct with an owner of one of the studio apartments through VRBO (listing #48744). Her apartment was completely remodelled and very modern. Despite being a studio, it was very spacious and had everything you could possibly need. Washers and dryers were just down the hall and you could buy detergent (enough for 2-3 washes) for $1. Convenience shop was right nearby as well as dozens of amazing restaurants and bars.
Pool and spa were great. Plenty of sun lounges. Front desk were quite helpful. I'd highly recommend to everyone.
This was the highlight of my trip, which is strange since we stayed at the St Regis Princeville too. I think in terms of value for money, restaurants, location and amenities it just comes out on top.

Room Tip: Stay floor 3 or above.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FoodFollower
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
6.6 km away
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina
5.4 km away
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Lahaina Shores Beach Resort? Share your experiences!