“Great access to amazing beach”

Napili Shores Maui by Outrigger
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Vancouver, Canada
“Great access to amazing beach”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Spent 3 nights at Outrigger Napili Shores. We booked through Donna Bender who is an Outrigger Specialist. Couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. Room had everything we needed (from Blender to boogie boards) and great access to a fab beach at Napili. Would defo return!

Room Tip: Garden-view, ground level room was quiet and the sound of the wind in the palms put us to sleep ever...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2012

After staying 4 nights at another condo, Napili shores was a welcome change. Comfortable and convenient with 2 great restaurants on site...breakfast in the gazebo and dinner in the dining room are both well priced and well done! Napili beach is beuatiful and the turtles in the adjacent bay made snorkling easy and enjoyable. Our only negative comment is the thin walls. We heard ice cubes falling into a glass next door, early alarms and late night voices....perhaps not enough to say we wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: We'd suggest a 2nd floor room to allow the lanai door be left open at all hours
4 Thank TrishMike
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I recently spent five wonderful nights at this Outrigger property, and wouldn't have any reservations about a return visit in the (near) future. If I could secure my same G256 room, that is. I would definitely advise for the second-floor locations, whichever area of the complex you choose, this way you can feel comfortable in leaving the sliding patio door open at all times, night and day, allowing those tropic breezes to flow through, as well as the sounds of the waves to lull you to sleep at night.

It's true, this Napili Shores property is at the northern edge of the northwest coast of the Western side of Maui, a bit removed from facilities, restaurants, shops, markets etc. They are just a short car ride away however, and you really do require a car anyway to do any necessary exploring around the island as it is. The grounds are very well maintained, and there is a small beach just next door. The beach itself is extremely narrow during winter months though, not much sand at all on which to spread your towel or set your chair for sunning, and the shorebreak is practically ON shore, so be very careful if you do venture into the water. It's lovely and clear and too inviting, so you will want to go in, just follow the adage of never turning your back on the ocean.

The facilities at Napili Shores are more than satisfactory, although if any fault must be found, then maybe I may add that more than one laundry room for the entire complex would be nice. Then again, the one which is provided up against the lobby bldg seems sufficient enough, maybe a half-dozen washers and dryers both, with ample room for folding your clothes right there if you wish. The full kitchen in my studio was brilliant, and the Murphy bed made for a much more spacious environment when it was folded up and out of the way during the day. No wifi, but the wired internet came with a nice, long cord, so you can upload your holiday photos from either the desk or bed.

There did seem to be a fair number of families with children around, but I must've hit a good week as the kids weren't really running wild as previously reported. And I'm happy to report no smoking was detected either! My room faced the famous Gazebo restaurant down on water's edge but despite my looking and listening as I got ready each morning, making breakfast, enjoying it on the patio etc, I really never heard the noise and crowds down there, awaiting their own macadamia nut pancakes at 0700h as previous posters and every hotel brochure warns about. Plentiful free parking is a bonus.

Front desk staff was always courteous and they allowed me to take an extra hotel blanket out on my (too!) early morning trip to see the sunrise at Haleakala. Although I must say, these blankets are summer-weight sleeping blankets and they don't give a darn bit of protection against the bitter cold and fierce winds you will find atop the 10,000' peak in the pre-dawn hours. For that, you would do well to bring gloves and a scarf and a good jacket, somehow finding precious room in your suitcase for these things you will use only once on this trip.

I've been fortunate enough to visit the Hawaiian Islands a number of times, but this was my first journey to Maui. I think now I will have to return sooner rather than later, and I will likely choose Outrigger Napili Shores next time, too.

Room Tip: Second-floor allows you to leave the sliding door open, day and night. Oceanview in the G-bldg was a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Christine C
Las Vegas
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband and I checked in to our room just in time for the 2nd half of the Superbowl. (Thanks, NY Giants, for my Vegas bet win!) We had a 2nd floor garden view room, but we were able to see the ocean when we looked out and right. I LOVED turning the flat screen tv toward the balcony so my husband and I could enjoy the Superbowl as we toasted with a bottle of wine in the fresh air. One of my favorite memories of our recent Maui trip! Also, the mac nut pancakes at the Gazebo restaurant are worth the wait in line... and that line was LONG! No A/C in the rooms but it wasn't bad at all in mid February. We had a 2nd floor unit so if you have heavy bags, that could be a hassle. (Just think of lifting your bags as your workout.) We only stayed two nights but plan to stay longer next time. Front desk staff is very nice. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you request a first floor room, the will TRY to accommodate.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 13 February 2012

THE LOCATION:
If you are familiar with Maui and have stayed before you know all this, but the Outrigger is about a 15 minute drive south to Lahaina and all the restaurants and shops. It is a short walk to Napili Bay which doesn't have a good beach for lounging, but it is good for swimming. Kapalua Bay is 5 minutes drive North and is great for families and snorkeling! The Outrigger is 5 minutes drive from Napili plaza and market- but buy all your groceries at Costco close to airport when you arrive, otherwise you will be blown away by cost! One downside of this location is there are NO sidewalks around resorts, so going out for a morning stroll or after dinner is a bit dangerous- definitely not good for walking the stroller or with small children.
THE RESORT:
The grounds of this condo resort are very well manicured, with two pools and a jacuzzi. We stayed in Garden View Condo unit #134. So this review reflects just that condo, all are owned separately and can be varying quality. Even though it was close to the onsite restaurant, it was still very quiet. I can imagine the units closest to the Gazebo (nearest the ocean) could be a little noisy in the morning as that restaurant always had a line starting at 7 am! It was updated and modern, King size bed, flat screen TV, granite counter tops in kitchenette and bathroom, large closet in bathroom. As two people we were very comfortable in this space. The kitchenette was well equip with full size refrigerator which was great for us because we cooked almost all of our meals in condo., blender, toaster, etc. Except the two pans are TERRIBLE (too small and definitely not none stick anymore), no tupperwear present for packing lunches, so buy some or bring sandwich bags and freezer bags for food and left over storage. I would recommend this to a friend! But next time we will stay more south and in a better walking environment. We were always in the car!

Room Tip: second floor would be less noisy! Garden view away from Gazebo is also better, too noisy in am if yo...
3 Thank kerrylobrutto
Portland
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This was the second time we've stayed at Napili Shores and both trips were great. We had a garden facing room this time but could still hear the ocean waves at night. We were located on the north side and didn't notice any undue noise before the 'quiet hours' were over at 8am. At night, I don't think I've experienced a more quiet location-it is very mellow and laid back and it seems most folks return to the resort in the early evening, so few car noises were heard. It appears that the Gazebo wholesale deliveries are in the afternoon to avoid both the restaurant crowds and disturbing guests on that side of the resort. The one bedroom condo, managed by Outrigger, was clean, well furnished and well equipped for a long stay. The new restaurant, Cafe Au Lait, is average and a bit pricey, but a real plus for tired travelers at the end of the day. This is an excellent resort for many reasons. I have to say that I find the concerns about treatment of 'children in the hot tub' overstated, as this is the policy in all the resorts I've ever known. The parents who 'violated' that policy during our stay were the only rude, loud folks we encountered on the entire trip to Maui.

4 Thank texchef2
Sidney Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We had an okay time at Nalipi Shores. The property is nice, however there were a few problems with it. The first is the noise, as isulation between the bedroom walls and the parking lot was minimal. This wouldn't have been so bad, except that there was a significant amount of traffic going through the parking lot to get to the restaurant. Second, the lower pool is not heated, so it is basically useless. The upper pool is nice, however, if you have kids, be prepared for some serious stares from the older people. Also - KIDS NOT ALLOWED IN HOT TUB!!! Very disapointing, as Napili is more windy than the rest of Maui, and it is nice for the kids to warm up. The beach was nice, however I would not recommend it for small children in the winter, as the waves are large, and break right on shore.

Room Tip: I would pick something south facing
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank emily32
nsrmanager, General Manager at Napili Shores Maui by Outrigger, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Ninety of the units at Napili Shores are managed by Outrigger. Those units underwent a complete renovation in 2006 with new appliances, granite counter tops, carpeting, furniture, and flat screen TV's.

Children 5 or over are now allowed to use the hot tub under adult supervision.