“serenity, and a big kitchen”
Review of Ka Hale Mala

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kaunakakai
Ka Hale Mala
Ranked #3 of 4 Kaunakakai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 March 2010

had a wonderful time. Owner Cheryl extremely accomodating. I hated to return to the mainland. I'll be going back as soon as I can.

• Stayed: January 2010
2  Thank nonniecool
There are newer reviews for Ka Hale Mala

Reviewed 24 August 2009

Four private very large, spacious and very clean rooms. A, Double bedroom, bathroom, well set-up Kitchen/dining with fridge stove, utensils, etc and a separate lounge containing two single beds if needed, High speed internet. A good library and Island maps and information round it out. .
All you need for a pleasant stay, but no food or coffee is supplied. Breakfast however is available and is good value-juice, coffee, fruit, toast and a cooked plate of some sort, (adjusted to consider any wishes or allergies). Cheryl likes to sit and chat during breakfast, which can be very useful. She gave us very good information on where to go and do.
Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ARB173
Reviewed 21 April 2009

My husband and I just returned from our 9 night honeymoon stay at Ka Hale Mala Bed and Breakfast. We had breakfast two of the mornings and made our own the other seven mornings. We generally enjoyed our stay, and wanted to give our impressions.

First, the neutrals: There are two people who run the bed and breakfast: Cheryl, and Jack, her husband, who is quite infirm and besides the first day, we didn’t see him at all. There are two cats that live upstairs but we never saw them except at breakfast. The accommodations are functional and adequate, but definitely not modern or fancy.

Next, the positives: The unit is very spacious and private. The nice tropical plants all around the living quarters give a sense of tranquility. There is a full kitchen with dishes and silverware that made it nice to cook for ourselves so we didn’t have to eat out all the time. There is a television (not that we watched it much), high speed wireless internet that my computer connected to effortlessly, a nice selection of books to read, patio furniture and a clothes line for drying wet clothes. Cheryl, the hostess, did a light cleaning of the place every day and even washed and put away our dishes for us. The breakfasts were tasty and filling. She was helpful with planning where to go and how to get places on Molokai, and it is obvious that she considers herself an “expert”. That brings me to the main point of the negatives…

Now, the negatives: There really is only one main complaint we had about this place. We chose not to have breakfast every morning at first for personal / dietary reasons, but eventually did have breakfast with Cheryl twice. Now, I say “with Cheryl” because that’s exactly what we got both times. She made breakfast, told us about it, then sat down and drank her coffee and talked “at” us, not with us, the entire time we ate. She has a very strong personality and likes to give her opinion about all things Molokai related. She is a teacher and we both did often feel we were being lectured about Hawaii politics, etc. I found it hard to enjoy the breakfast and relax because we couldn’t get a word in edge-wise, even to ask for another napkin or more bread. We really felt like she was not putting our privacy and comforts first above all. (And we’re not high-maintenance or picky people.) We were a little worried that we saw her cats roaming the kitchen counters, but we never had cat hair in our food (that we knew of).

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank abamadl
Reviewed 7 February 2009

This BnB ist a great place to stay in Molokai. Cheryl is a wonderful host, an excellent cook and an interesting person to talk to. She knows a lot about life in Hawaii, and we had very long talks during breakfast. Jack is a very nice man as well. We really enjoyed their hospitality.
The ground floor flat in which guests stay is spacious and clean, and it is in a quiet neighbourhood.
We will recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ZurichSwissmiss
Reviewed 13 August 2008

This was my first time at a bed and breakfast, but it was an eye- opener. Overall, I enjoyed my stay, but I will opt for unhosted stays in the future.

The breakfasts were good, but unimaginative. The main dish each of the three days was a bake, with bread on the bottom, fruit on that, sauce on that. It was a different bread and fruit each day, but bread and fruit every day.

The hosts are very nice, very supportive, and very helpful. However, do you know that guy that is never wrong? That's the hostess. She is never wrong. I was a little put off at first, because she disagreed with every observation I had about the islands. I learned to ignore it and keep my observations to myself. Also, she will try to plan your stay for you. They want you to see each aspect of the island. This is fine is that is what you want to do, but if you want to kick back on the beach, make it clear that is all you came to do. Do listen to their advice about restaurants and beaches - they directed us to this little joint that had the best food we had all week long, and some great snorkeling.

Another reviewer wrote about the scorpions. I did not see one. I saw only one small centipede, and that was outside. Exercise common sense - don't leave doors or windows open without screens and you'll be fine. I also never found a cat hair in my food, and we were never served leftovers.

All in all, I like the Garden house and the hosts; however, my expectations and personality did not mesh with their sense of hospitality and personality. They are good people, I just prefer more independent and less directed vacations.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jago1976
Reviewed 14 July 2008

I want to respond to Surfqueen's very negative views on this B&B. We just spent two nights there. And we would have stayed longer except that it was already booked. Our experience was very positive. Allow me to respond to each of the main concerns:

(1) A pair of cats do live in the upper unit, with Cheryl & Jack. But they're kep inside. We didn't have cat hair in any of our food.

(2) We were only there for two breakfasts. But they were different - not just repeats. And we found them filling and enjoyable. Cheryl also provided us with mango several time.

(3) We talked to Jack three or four times during our stay. He introduced himself upon our arrival, and he wished us a good trip as we left. Altho Cheryl gets far more involved with the guests, Jack does make the occasional appearance.

(4) We didn't see any scorpions. Cheryl cautioned us to close the sliding glass doors at night, since the door screens aren't "critter tight."

(5) This house is on a middle class cul-de-sac with about eight other houses. It's about 200 feet from the island's "main road." But there's very little traffic on Molokai, and it's slow speed. The traffic sound is almost nil. The house is surrounded by trees and tall plants, so it's very private. There's an empty hillside behind the house, and the two neighboring houses aren't particularly close. (The one on the bedroom side is owned by elderly retirees who are only there a few weeks per year.) Some of the neighbors may have been arguing one or two nights when Surfqueen stayed there. And even we heard one of the neighbors revving up his Harley one morning before he drove off. Otherwise, it was extremely quiet. We slept very well (except for the island-wide rooster calls).

I've stayed in over 120 B&B's in Europe and America. What makes Ka Hale Mala so unique is Cheryl's devoted involvement with her guests. She's the only host who has ever met me at the airport. When you arrive at her house, she gives you a one hour verbal introduction to the island, along with marking up a map that she gives you. She's a teacher at the local college and has a broad background. She's very involved in local cultural and political efforts. If you want complete isolation from your host family, then this B&B may not be your best fit. But if you relish anything from modest to intense interaction with your hosts, this is your place. The first morning, we lingered at breakfast for three hours, learning an amazing amount about the true flavor and background of Molokai (which is an astounding place, if you're hoping to find the best remaining example of "real Hawaii"). We spent almost as much time the next morning, until Cheryl had to leave. While she certainly has her opinions, she's very well read. She's practical and objective. She was also very helpful and flexible regarding our logistics for swimming trips and our transition to our next B&B. Her unit is plenty spacious. While not luxurious, it's pleasantly appointed and clean

By the way, if you're wondering where to stay on Molokai, I'd really recommend Kaunakakai. It's got the most people and most stores. Nearly everything happens here. The central location also minimizes your driving time to other destinations. You may wish to lodge on the eastern, northern or especially western end of the road system. But there are fewer lodging choices. And you'll be doing much more driving. Until spring 2008, the western end was a fairly good alternative. But since The Ranch closed, as well as the western golf course and western gas station, the west end has gotten somewhat sleepy.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Island_Wave
Reviewed 12 June 2007

My husband & I spent a week at Ka Hale Mala last month, and look forward to returning. It was our 5th time staying with Jack & Cheryl, who are very warm and hospitable. We love Moloka'i, and we wouldn't want to stay anywhere else but Ka Hale Mala.
The accommodations (the ground floor of their home) are clean, roomy & comfortable, with a full kitchen. The location is handy, close to the beach and to Kaunakakai.
The full breakfasts are a highlight, with fresh fruit from the large garden, home-baked breads, and a variety of creative hot dishes.
Cheryl is a wealth of information about things to do on the island, and about local history & politics. She goes out of her way to ensure that her guests have a wonderful experience on Moloka'i, based on their specific interests.
We recommend Ka Hale Mala VERY HIGHLY!

Stayed: June 2007
7  Thank Foonts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaunakakai
26.0 km away
11.8 km away
MVP - Wavecrest
MVP - Wavecrest
#1 of 3 in Kaunakakai

Been to Ka Hale Mala? Share your experiences!