“Molokai Shores #A215 - Our favorite condo on Molokai !”

Castle Molokai Shores Resort
West Jefferson, Ohio
“Molokai Shores #A215 - Our favorite condo on Molokai !”
Reviewed 27 December 2011

My husband and I have stayed in condo A215 at Molokai Shores on Molokai several times. In fact , we would be disappointed if it was not available for us on our visit to this wonderful little island. Chaya and Tom, the owners, have put alot of time and effort into this condo. It is like a home away from home with all the extras you need. The King sized bed is very comfortable . There is a huge closet and dresser for your luggage. I have never been to a condo that offers so many extras such as the fully equipted kitchen, laptop with internet connection, CD player, good binoculars , extra toiletries, a wide assortment of books, games and dvds, beach gear including towels, 2 sets of snorkel and fins, plus many other items too numerous to mention. It is always clean and tidy . What more could you want ? Molokai is the Real Hawaii and this is the perfect place to discover it.

Room Tip: Molokai Shores has rooms of different qualities ranging from poor to excellent. Room A215 is excell...
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2luv2fly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We recently stayed at Molokai Shores unit a215 for a quick two night visit to the island. The unit was clean and well stocked with kitchen and bathroom supplies. I always worry a bit when booking a condo that it won't live up to the pictures and description on the web but this one did and we were very pleased.

Molokai may not be for everyone but we found it's remoteness and lack of luxury hotels a nice change of pace. Everyone we came into contact with was pleasant and helpful. If you're looking for unspolied Hawaii and lots to do outdoors, go to Molokai.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lovetotravel239
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Condo 221 was pretty clean and neat. You had to be wary of a couple roaches here and there but I guess that's to be expected on an island. Check your bags before returning home to keep these visitors in Molokai. You cannot swim in the water in front but the beach is beautiful

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Caloge
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I love Molokai and my recent trip was not my first time to Molokai but I would never stay at Molokai shores again. Unit A315. I paid the highest price for an "oceanside" suite. The unit was 1 unit away from the furthest end of the building away from the beach. When I brought this up with the front desk, I was told they were very busy that weekend and I was getting a great price for a 2 bedroom unit (1 bdrm and 1 loft with 2 beds). As it was just myself and my girlfriend, this was useless. The room is a few tens of meters from the two lane highway therefore the road noise came right in the room and this made sleeping difficult. Check-in time is late and check-out time is early. We arrived early and asked if an early check-in within reason was possible. We were told no, the check-in time is not negotiable. The room was disgusting. I opened up the dishwasher and gagged. It was completely molded over. There were flies and roaches everywhere despite the screen door being shut. I dropped something which went under the bed and when I looked under the bed to retrieve said item, I counted at least 5 dead large cock roaches. At least they were dead right? The bathroom had a permanent "sewage" smell to it and the toilet ran off and on every few seconds all day, all night despite efforts to make it stop short of shutting off the water.

I don't stay in high-end resorts or have extremely high standards, but having traveled extensively around the islands as well as the world, for the high price, this place should be checked off anyone's list of potentials.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank globaltek

Travellers are raving about these Kaunakakai hotels

Mason, Ohio
Reviewed 26 November 2011

We stayed at Molokai Shores A215 and really don't have anything good to say about it. We arrived to find a unit with dead bugs, long dark hairs and lots of dust on the floors. There were dirty dishes with dried food on them in the cabinets. Condiments that had expired months before in the refrigerator. A broken dishwasher door. Microwave had food all over the inside. The "high thread count sheets" were balled up and rough and the wash cloths were stained. The "treasure chest of lotions" was covered in dust. Needless to say we had to clean upon arrival.
The complex is not even close to being a resort. Most of the people were locals and contractors living there. We heard several domestics fights along with a lot of very loud foul language. There was also a drug deal outside our unit. We did not feel safe.
We talked to the owner of the condo several times. She offered to refund the cleaning fee! We checked out several days early. The owner said she would take care of us. She offered a free night on a return visit along with the 10% discount any return visitors would get. We have no intentions of ever returning here!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vicki W
Dacra, Owner at Castle Molokai Shores Resort, responded to this review, 23 December 2011
We have never had this kind of review. These guests wanted us to be responsible for the people passing by the condo and using inappropriate language. We actually let our cleaning lady go after 7 years of working with her due to this guest's complaints. Afterwards we found out that they were looking for any possible minor issue to complain about, and that the cleaning issue was totally overblown. We have had the highest reviews both before and after this visit. I was in contact with these guests constantly during their visit, responding to their complaints in every way I could - even offering them a transfer to our other condo at another resort on Molokai, at no extra charge. I refunded their cleaning fee. Then they asked for a refund of the two days they did not use because they decided to leave Molokai early and rejected my offer of a discount on another stay as "smoke and mirrors." In 7 years of owning and managing this condo, we have never had guests like this. I believe they were just not prepared for the Molokai atmosphere at all and were looking for a Hilton-like accommodation; perhaps they were also looking to pay less. I don't know how else to explain it. Just take a look at all our other reviews for confirmation.
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed 12 October 2011

We stayed at Molokai Shores A215 for 3 nights in late September. Chaya was very helpful when making reservations and with all other communications. The condo was a very nicely remodeled and decorated unit that we suspect is one of the nicest on the east side of the island. The bathroom and kitchen were beautiful and provided all the comforts one could desire. The grounds were also immaculate, with nicely landscaped gardens. The bird of paradise flowers visible from the lanai offered a picturesque setting in the foreground, while the waves crashing on the barrier reef in the distance and the island of Lanai across the channel provided a scenic backdrop. The few minor drawbacks that we noticed were that the car noise through the louvered bedroom windows, whether open or closed, contributed to a bit of insomnia, and the bedroom was pretty well occupied by the nice, comfortable king sized bed, so we put our luggage in the main living area.

The ocean is murky in this area and not suitable for swimming or snorkeling, although we regret not having the time to schedule a snorkel cruise to the large southern Molokai barrier reef. The “not to miss adventures” for us were the drive to Halawa Valley at the end of highway 450 (45 minutes each way, plus stopping time to give your camera a workout) and an air tour to Kalaupapa Peninsula (or mule ride if you don’t mind hanging off a 2000 foot cliff on top of a large, lumbering animal). Additionally, if you are arriving from Maui via the ferry … Don’t. Instead, take a direct commuter flight from Kahului to Molokai and try to sit on the left side of the plane. The flight will take you at low altitude along the world’s tallest sea cliffs on the north side of the island, which are simply stunning. The sight of waterfalls dropping perhaps 1000 feet down the 2000-foot high mountains and valleys, with the ocean below, is perhaps the most memorable airplane experience I have ever encountered, rivaling a full island helicopter tour of Kauai.

Finally, a general note about Molokai ... after this trip, we have now been to all seven of the “main” Hawaiian Islands. Molokai is perhaps the most unusual of them all, because it has no upscale resorts, as do the others, and the local people with whom we spoke seem strongly opposed to any such development. For us, that was simply an interesting and unique part of the island, giving a feeling of traveling back in time. However, if one is looking for a glamorous resort, ritzy shopping or incredible nightlife, it is probably best to choose a different island. I laughed hysterically when I first saw the t-shirt in a Kaunakakai shop that said “Molokai Nightlife” and showed an entirely black picture with a little white moon at the top. That t-shirt may offer the perfect description of Molokai.

Room Tip: Understand that this complex is rather old, so if you are not careful in picking a recently renovate...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ugadog
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I guess I did not read the reviews of this condo before booking. We stayed 2 nights I paid extra for an Ocean Front room, $428.00 for 2 nights!! This place is a dump! The room was dirty, long black hair in the bathroom, microwave smelled when we opened the door. We wanted to store some food items in the microwave because of the tiny ants and it stunk so badly inside we stored the items in the refrigerator. No beach towels, we were in A 305 the people below must live in their condo and smoke and every time they lit up the smoke came into our condo. When they spoke we could hear every word and they talked A LOT. Noisey at night from talking/arguing?? We heard the road noise and this is supposed to be a small quiet island, well there was a lot of traffic. The fan over the bed (needed to drown out the noise from other people and traffic) only worked on high speed or off. When my husband first turned on the fan, I thought oh no, we are right in the flight pattern, I thought it was an airplane flying right over us. Just a very run down unit, complex. Shame on Expedia for even having this as a choice. Wish I had chosen Hotel Molokai or stayed on Maui. This was my second time to Molokai and nothing has changed in 15 years and I don't mean this in a good way. How hard is it to keep your condo/yard/property clean? This area reminded me of dirty Mexico or ghettos areas, no old Hawaiian charm like Molokai is said to be "The Most Hawaiian Island". Clean your yards and property and certainly your condos that you rent out.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CandyD_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaunakakai
36.3 km away
17.3 km away
MVP - Wavecrest
MVP - Wavecrest
#1 of 3 in Kaunakakai

Been to Castle Molokai Shores Resort? Share your experiences!