“The price is right”
Review of The Blue Goose B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maunaloa
The Blue Goose B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Maunaloa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 January 2017

We visited Molokai for 5 nights this January and stayed at the Blue Goose. As in all of Hawaii, the price of accommodations on Molokai is, let's say, quite pricy. The cost of a stay at the BG was significantly lower and not being picky we quickly made our reservations months before our arrival. On the date of our arrival we found the B&B, thanks to GPS, but found no one to greet us. There was a phone number on a weathered piece of paper taped to the front door which we called; the person who answered seemed surprised we were there. Apparently, there was no record of our reservation although we had called twice since making it to confirm the reservation. Fortunately, there was a room available and it was clean, comfortable (but simple) furnishings, and the shower had hot water; our basic needs were met. The room ventilation relied on the ever constant trade winds, which were not present for a couple days of our stay so room temperature was a little warm, but tolerable in the evenings when we returned. The breakfast was served upstairs and was standard fare of eggs, muffins, and french toast with coffee; there was always enough that you did not need to leave the table hungry. My advice: call a week or several days in advance to ensure your reservation will be honored.
We had a wonderful stay on Molokai. The relaxed and local flavor of culture was wonderful to experience. The activities and eateries we went to were always within a 20-30 minute drive of Maunaloa, which is not bad when you consider that heavy traffic on Molokai consists of another vehicle passing you on the same road every 10 minutes. (Did I say I liked Molokai?) There are also some great beaches on that end of the island and the view from the B&B is panoramic.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Konacontent

Reviewed 17 April 2016

Had a wonderful experience last week at this bed and breakfast. Sue was extremely welcoming and made us a warm breakfast in the morning including banana mac nut pancakes before we went on the mule tour to Kalaupapa. Wifi worked well, room was clean, and there's parking. The island is small so nothing is too far of a drive. Was a safe location and we enjoyed our stay. If you're looking for an affordable, clean place to stay, this is it.

Stayed: April 2016
1  Thank travelgirl679
Reviewed 4 February 2016

Unlike some other reviewers, I felt the location is fine. No matter where you stay on Molokai, you're going to be driving a little bit to get to the rest of the attractions. From the Blue Goose, you are quite close to Papohaku Beach, a beautiful 3 mile long beach with lovely smooth sand and barely anyone there. It's a good place to relax, but not for swimming as the water is rough, with rip-tides. Also, the Blue Goose is only a few miles from the overlook and trailhead to Kalaupapa: a must do IMO. The whole island is only 38 miles long by 10 miles wide, so anywhere you want to go is not far at all. The Blue Goose is nicely decorated, with Hawaiian artwork and furnishings. The guest rooms are on the main floor and the lovely couple who own the B & B live upstairs. My room was not large but it was clean and very nice, and the bathroom was beautiful, with a large mirror and counter area. There was no bathtub, just a shower. Also I had a small lanai. You probably won't be spending a lot of time in the room anyway. There is a common room with a fridge, an electric skillet, and a rice cooker and dishes to use. They will let you use their microwave upstairs if you ask. Breakfast was very good each day and Sue is happy to accommodate your preferences for food and also will serve breakfast at whatever time works for you. I met some of the other guests and enjoyed their company, as well as Sue and Jim's. For the price of this accomodation, it was good value and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank jimihendrix
Reviewed 13 January 2016

Although I found Jim and Sue wonderful hosts I cannot get past the BG being so far from anything. Although I do it at home, I hated driving 20+ minutes through nothingness for meals and attractions while passing other places to stay. Unfortunately, Maunaloa is a dying town. Nothing worth the long drive survived a ranch closing a few years ago. At the BG, there is no TV and the Internet is way too slow and spotty depending on where you are. For a couple of dollars more you can stay in Hotel Mokolai with TV, food, pool, and right on the water.

Stayed: January 2016
4  Thank WaywardTravelor
Reviewed 11 December 2015 via mobile

Only if you are desperate. Not good value for the money. Maunaloa is a dying town, only 2 businesses left. Finding the BG is difficult, no signage, owners are trying to sell. Minimal furniture, ants in the dirty shared kitchen. Don't drink the water.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2015

If you're looking for a charming peaceful place to enjoy your stay in Molokai, this isn't it. The owners were pleasant enough, but not very welcoming, and the entire place needs refurbishing. When I arrived, there was a note pasted on the front door welcoming the week's visitors. Mine wasn't on it (but should have been), and never during my entire stay did that get corrected. The owners live upstairs, and while accessible, I didn't interact with them much. I did enjoy a breakfast with them one day, which was decent but nothing special. My room was in need of a makeover; very little effort was put into making the place warm or welcoming. There is a kitchen and fridge where you can store and make food (that was helpful). The free wifi generally had good reception. The location was way on the west side of Molokai, so it was quiet (except when the owners were yelling for their grand-kids to come in for dinner) but not so convenient to the amenities on the island. The island of Molokai itself is worth visiting but I'd recommend finding somewhere else to stay. The owners are looking to sell the place, so perhaps some new owners will come in and improve it.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2015 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights here. The hosts are very nice and the breakfast was delicious and plentiful. The price is likely the most reasonable on the island. This place is only about 7 years old but the design makes it feel much older. The room was small with a private porch. The screening was such that you could not see much and I there was a view only of the neighbors house. The slider to the porch is the only way to bring in air or outside light. There's no window and no cross ventilation. Also no fan of any kind. So despite the outside breeze, there was no way to get that breeze to cool the room. The room was too warm and stuffy at night. The shared kitchen area was good as was the shared lanai.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maunaloa
23.3 km away
6.7 km away
No photo provided
MVP Kepuhi Beach Resort
#3 of 3 in Maunaloa

Been to The Blue Goose B&B? Share your experiences!