“Surf lessons”

Uncle Bryan's Sunset Suratt Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: Uncle Bryan Suratt presents, Sunset Suratt Surf Academy. Located on the North Shore of Oahu, home of Hawaii's most famous surf spots, Uncle Bryan prides himself on having the best trained surf instructors in Hawaii. All of our instructors are pro-level surfers themselves. Our surf school develops skills for longboard, short board, and stand-up paddle surfing. We take 6-month-old babies and adults in their 70s out for their very first time! Our surf lessons are for all ages and all levels, we teach surfers from beginners to pros. Sunset Suratt Surf Academy's classrooms are in the ocean from Sunset beach to Pipeline to Haleiwa, for a safe, guided hands on experience in the world of surfing. "It will be the most rewarding and thrilling gift that you can give to yourself or a loved one. A cherished experience of a lifetime. GO FOR IT!"Looking for a surfboard to rent while on the North Shore? Look no further. We got 'em—from shortboards to longboards to stand-up paddle boards! Sunset Suratt offers quality surfboard rentals.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I had such a good time. I didn’t think two hours sounded like enough time, but it was! The instructor was great and even did a lot of the paddling for me. Friendly and relaxed staff.

sunsetsuratt, Owner at Uncle Bryan's Sunset Suratt Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to review your surf lessons. We are glad you had a great experience!
Lisa and Uncle B

Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"laid back"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The best surf instruction on the island. We booked super early. And bc we did, we basically had private lessons. The instructors were great with my daughter and determined to get me to surf. There is a photographer who does charge extra, but his photos rock. If you want to learn how to surf as a beginner- Uncle Bryan is the best!

sunsetsuratt, Owner at Uncle Bryan's Sunset Suratt Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for your review! Glad to hear you had a great time.
Aloha, Lisa and Uncle Bryan

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

Thank you for a wonderful experience my girls 9 & 8yrs old haven’t stopped talking about surfing since we arrived back home to Australia. They absolutely loved every minute. Also a huge thank you for taking my 3.5yr old out to surf a wave you couldn’t take the smile off her face. Highly recommend anyone wanting to surf to come see these guys they will take great care of you. Thank you again we will definitely be back with our next visit to Hawaii.

sunsetsuratt, Manager at Uncle Bryan's Sunset Suratt Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor! Glad to hear you had a great experience!
Aloha, Lisa

Reviewed 17 February 2018

All skill levels. They will take your surfing to the next level. Or begin your lifetime journey of surfing with this dream team.

sunsetsuratt, Owner at Uncle Bryan's Sunset Suratt Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Uncle B is a character. He appears to hire good instructors (we took 2 separate lessons and had different instructors who were both very good).

The intake process was sketchy. I signed a form saying that I'd read the waiver when in fact I had not seen one; I tried to ask about it but was disregarded.

My lesson included me and one other person who gave up early on so I ended up having an almost private lesson for at least half of the 2-hour class.

The waves were the perfect size and the spot was obviously popular for learners but we managed with the crowd.

My instructor didn't rush through any of the explanations he had likely given many, many times. He kept track of me really well and was really encouraging. I managed to get up and actually surf every time I tired and sometimes I rode the wave right near the shore. Paddling out seemed difficult at first but once those muscles warmed up and I figured out that the current would bring me out to where I needed to start, it got much easier.

My only caution would be to learn a wet suit and shoes if you can; rash burn from the rubbing is real.

Surfing is a great workout and my partner and I both had a good time. We love being active so this was a good activity for us (one of us had to be onshore at all times with our 6 month old). If you're on the N. shore, try surfing... if nothing else it will have you appreciating what the pros are capable of that much more!