“TRUE Hawaii”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haleiwa
Ke Iki Beach Bungalows
Dallas, Oregon
“TRUE Hawaii”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

If you want the dreamy, relaxed, comfortable, clean, friendly, convenient atmosphere of what Hawaii is supposed to be....or perhaps used to be??....go to Ke Iki Beach Bungalows. It doesn't matter if you are beachfront or not (we did both) it is PERFECT. God willing should we ever get to visit Hawaii again, we will go only there. Waikiki & Kailua stays were okay, but nothing like this. It even beat our past trip to Maui. Greg is very friendly, accomodating and it's just simply run well.

Room Tip: Love beachfront, but one night non was still roomy, clean and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Caroline B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We were awaiting the delivery of our household furnishings from the mainland and found this gem. Spent 2 nites in the Protea, and then 3 in the stand-alone studio (completely renovated) and never minded not being oceanfront when the sand is feet away. It is a find with a great location, beautiful beach and close to Haleiwa for shopping and dining. The manager is atypical and very refreshing and real. Don't miss it if possible, but no amenities.

Room Tip: The studio, altho small, is cozy and just fine for two persons.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank barbara202
Huntingdon. UK
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My wife and I are currently writing this report while on holiday at Ke Iki Beach Bungalows. OK, so I have written about Ke Iki before, but not this particular ‘house’. It is the fabled Number 9 – the Orchid. It is set apart from the rest, built on stilts and from the balcony the view is just out of this world! The original was swept away by a giant storm surge 26 years ago!
It’s winter, and the waves are pounding on the reef just a couple of hundred yards from us, the whales are performing their tricks close to shore, and we have just had our 2nd BBQ of the day – we start with bacon and eggs! The steak from Foodland (the local grocery store) was fabulous.
If you don’t like the noise of the waves, then in winter this is not the place for you. Perhaps you would rather be here in the summer when the sea is flat.
We sleep each night at the front of the house to HEAR the waves. Yes, at times they wake you up with their explosive bursts, but then we don’t mind! There is another explosion outside as I write. It’s dark now, and I can hear the crickets and the barking of a dog in the distance!
Tomorrow, the waves will have faces of 20 foot plus. We can’t wait! The sunset last night was postcard perfect.
We spent part of yesterday up the shoreline at Pipeline and Backdoor – two ultra famous surf breaks - and the morning had scrambled over the rocks to sit on the point at Waimea. We saw Kelly Slater twice in the same day! The name will mean a lot to you if you are a surf fan.
We’ve had a week of this perfection, and other seven nights still to come. We’ve eaten out in Haleiwa twice – Haleiwa Joe’s (loved the ribs) and the Thai place. We’ve also had one wonderful breakfast up at Turtle Bay.
The pace of life is super slow, and that’s just how we like it. It’s February, and back home it's freezing cold. No, I don’t want any air-con in this place – just leave the doors and windows wide open. Let me ‘feel’ this place in all its glory and the breeze of the trade winds.
Reality is seven days away, but for now I’m in heaven.

There are bungalows here that are not 'beach front' and cheaper. But this is the place we will come back to year after year. There is nothing better in the world!!

Room Tip: Orchid is the best.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DavidLongman
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I spent 5 days here in November on my way to New Zealand. I wasn't in the mood for the craziness of Waikiki Beach and this perfectly suited my mood. This is a fantastic place to stay if you want quiet, a great beach, and awesome water views. Really, the views and beach are some of the best. However, this is the north shore so you need to be very careful because the waves and water can be treacherous. It was quite calm while I was there but I still didn't swim. If you want to swim, I would talk to Greg (manager) to see what time of year is best. If you are a surfer, you will probably be in heaven. The accommodations are quite nice especially the units on the water. If you want to save a little money and still be steps away from the water, there are a few units in the back that are also very nice. I stayed in one of the back units and my only complaint was that it was quite near the road and it was pretty noisy at night--particularly in the morning when people where going to work. It might not bother some people but it bothered me because I'm used to quiet. Greg was super nice about putting me in an ocean front unit for the remainder of my stay. The Foodland was close by however you would need to get in your car and drive if you want to eat out. There is a nice bike/foot path that runs by the resort and you can walk or bike for miles. There are beach chairs, a few hammocks and really everything you need to have a relaxing vacation. Greg and his family are really nice and very accommodating. I would stay here again and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: The ocean front units are best so stay in one of those if you can afford it. The back units are ver...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Marytc
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2011

My husband, myself and 2 boys (13 and 10) were there for 16 nights in Nov/ Dec of 2011. Our first room (Hibiscus) was beach front and just perfect!! The view was amazing!! Nothing better than opening your eyes in the morning and having the breathtaking view to keep you and your coffee company!! I have read some reviews about people complaining about the ants. It is a tropical environment and so a few bugs are to be expected, however when it comes to them being in your bungalow, I found a solution that worked real fast! Don't be a pig, clean up after yourself in the kitchen and you have no problems!! There still may be a few here and there, but really who cares, you are in Hawaii on a beautiful beach, not at home or work!! LOL
The beach was beautiful and hardly any people, but of course the time of year we went was surf season (we were there to watch the Triple Crown Comp.) and we knew full well the ocean at this time of year isn't a clam swimming pool. Please obey signs posted on the beach about current ocean conditions and talk to the lifeguards before getting in the water, they KNOW what they are talking about!!
We only had our beach front for 5 nights then went to a garden room. All the other ocean rooms were booked before us :( The garden room was still nice and still close to the beach. It did take us another day to get control of the ants in the kitchen, and it was smooth sailing from there. I think the people before us did not clean up after themselves! But, again, like I said earlier. You clean up...no problem!
The owner, Greg, was pleasant to deal with and very accomodating with requests and questions. The overall property was clean, well kept, and we had no issues with crime or feeling unsafe. Shopping for groceries is a few moment drive away. Just turn right and drive a few blocks to the foodland and they have everything you need for a breakfast meal or evening bbq. We found ourselves very relaxed here as opposed to the big city hecticness of Honolulu.
We would go back!! But this time...beach front ALL THE WAY!!

Room Tip: Beachfront is amazing!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank R C
Varese, Italy
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed at Ke Iki in November for five nights. We knew the Ke Iki through Tripadvisor and we found just what we needed. We were looking for an experience in Oahu away from the city, its rhythms, its luxury, and its comforts so the Northshore was the ideal place and the Ke Iki a valuable solution. The view from bungolow "oceanview" is priceless, endless beach, the ocean with its waves and one of the most beautiful sunsets on the whole planet. You will have direct access to one of the most beautiful beaches of Oahu, two hammocks and miles of soft sand to walk watching the surfers's tricks. The apartments have a kitchen with some accessories: a toaster, a microwave, a fridge, a coffee machine and a stove. It lacks air conditioning, but in November we slept well with open windows and ceiling fan. From the Ke Iki can be easily reached on foot or in a minute's drive a Foodland store and even Starbucks. In about ten minutes drive you can reach the center of Haleiwa, where there are dozens of restaurants and bars. The experience at Ke Iki was unforgettable, we are already thinking about when we can come back. Greg, the manager, and his family are very nice people and very helpful. Briefly the experience and the atmosphere at the Ke Iki are very Hawaiians! Mahalo!

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach are better!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KaITrAvEL
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 10 November 2011

My husband and I recently spent two glorious weeks at the Ke Ike Beach Bungalows. We stayed in the "Hibiscus" and the "Orchid" and the views were spectacular! If you really want the feel for island life, this is the place to stay. The grounds are like a botanical garden and each bungalow has its own charm and character. Greg and his staff are amazing! Can't say enough good things about him. After returning home, my sister and her fiance veiwed our trip.
Now we're booked for their "Honeymoon Gathering" of 4 couples! This will be their 1st trip to Oahu and the Ke Iki Beach Bungalows! Jim & I can't wait to get back!

Room Tip: Secluded and nestled away from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KellyfromOklahoma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haleiwa
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#7 of 84 in Honolulu
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
#1 of 1 in Sunset Beach

Been to Ke Iki Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!