Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
US$249
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$307/night.

US$299
US$199
Hampton.com
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$278/night.

US$589
  • Pool
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club(Kapolei)(Great Value!)
US$984
Hotels.com
US$239
US$280
US$259
US$159
US$189
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$232/night.

Pagoda Hotel(Honolulu)
US$131
US$119
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$138/night.

Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)
US$248
US$179
Ala Moana Hotel
5,738 results
All reviewslazy rivercharacter breakfastama amaaunty's beach housedvc membersrainbow reefbedroom villawater slidesulu cafecast membersoff the hookkids clubscavenger huntstarlit huimickey mouseacross the streetcommunity room
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We returned last week from the Aulani. Overall, I would say that it is a wonderful resort for families. Disney does a great job with the design, activities and service. The only area we felt they missed was the food. I will touch on a few key areas below:

Rooms: Nicely designed and good size. The beds were very comfortable. All rooms come with a small refrigerator that is empty. It was great. We walked to the ABC Store and bought some food and drinks.

Beach: Nice lagoon. Great for kids to play in and it wasnt very crowded. We were there between Christmas and New Years and it didnt feel crowded.

Pool: Great pool for the kids! It will keep them occupied all day. There is a lazy river and two water slides. There is also a kids water park (jungle gym) area too! If you like to snorkel, they have a special lagoon to snorkel in.
There is a strick towel rule. They even make sure to explain it when they give you the towels. If you leave the towels on a lounge for more than 1 hour, they will take them off and take your stuff. You will then have to go and ask for it back. We did see that happen to someone. Boy, were they mad! They have attendants that walk around the pool and check.

Spa: We loved the spa! It is "an experience". You are totally pampered. They have some awesome outdoor showers and soaking tubs. I would definitely recommend it.

Food: This area is the only area we felt the resort lacked. There are just not enough full service restaurants to eat in! They have many fast food options. However, not very healthy. They have a pool bar and grill and will serve you at your lounge around the pool. The menu is very limited and only had one salad (Ceasar). Not very healthy! The fast food, carry out places around the pool had a few more options but still pretty limited.
There are two full service restaurants. One with buffets for breakfast and dinner. Very expensive. $40 for breakfast for adults and $50 for dinner. The other one, is considered their more formal restaurant (Ama Ama). They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. Which is really the only regular restaurant in the hotel. It is also expensive! I have to say, it was very good though.
We liked the coffee bar below the lobby for a quick and fairly inexpensive breakfast. Muffins, fruit, bagels and breakfast sandwiches.
They sell plastic coffee mugs in the gift shop that are refillable in certain spots at the resort. You will see many people with them. They are great if you are a coffee or soda person. It costs $19.95 for one. It can save you some money. There were 10 people in our party, and at breakfast the 6 adults filled our mugs in the coffee shop and then took them to the restaurant. It would have cost us $21 just for coffee if we didnt have the mugs. Just know, they will not refill them in the bars or restaurants. There is a self serve soda place by the pool, or the gift shop, or coffee bar in the mornings only.
Reservations at the regular restaurant were hard to get. We sat with the conceirge for an hour trying to get a reservation for each night we were there! Make sure to make your reservations before you come.

Service: All employess were very friendly and helpful at the resort. "Very Disney". Again, the only area the service lacked was in the restaurants.

We attended the New Year's Party on the beach. The buffet was good. (Lobster, clams, mussels, Hawaiian pork, and yummy desserts! They had a DJ that was "ok". The party cost over $100 per adult and then they charged you for sodas $5, wine and cocktails $11. We heard many people complain about it. Plus, you had to buy a ticket for each drink and then go over to another place to get the drink. For the money, the sodas should have been free and the alcohol should have been more reasonable. They would have sold more drinks that way.
The fireworks show was amazing! The best we have ever seen!!!

Overall, we enjoyed our trip. We have older kids and would probably not go back again. The singing from the buffet restaurant in the mornings was enough. Our room was near the lobby and we were woken up by it every morning!
If you have young kids, I would recommend getting one of the villas that has a kitchen. That way you can cook to save some frustration and money.

Room Tip: Get a Disney vacation club villa or make sure you are away from the lobby. The closer to the ocean the better. Also floors 5 and above have ocean views.
7  Thank Iluvtwins
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Went there in December for three nights. Loved it. Staff very informative, attentive, and friendly.
Hotel is very clean. The room was clean, no problems. We booked the ocean view DVC Villa Studio, even if we aren't a DVC member, we opted that route since it has a micro/fridge.
Loved the view as we had clear view of the pool area and the lagoon. Two slides, no need to bring tubes as they provide them to you. You can pay $18 for a cup and there is free refill stations for juice/soda throughout the property. Awesome deal especially with kids. You can refill it with coffee or hot cocoa but only in the gift shop in the main lobby. Food is expensive, we only did the character breakfast once. We like it, the kids enjoyed it surprisingly more than disneyland. They at Auntys show during the breakfast where the kids would go up and play musical instruments and march around, it was cute, they loved it. There is a ABC like store across from Aulani, where you can get cheap breakfast/lunch fresh fruits, etc. Pool side they handed out free ice pops to the kids. There were lots of pool staff on duty so they were always watching the pool areas to make sure everyone was okay. Use the room key to get your pool bracelet and towel. Each registered party in the room gets their own key card. They have a snack shop pool side hot dogs/french fries, etc. I found that to be reasonable, like $5.50 or around there for a bottle water, hot dog, and fries for the kids. Shaved ice was around $5 but that is with toppings.

Took the kids to auntys beach house, safe and secure. Lots for them to do. Definitely book premium activities well in advance, they were all sold out when we go there for the whole trip.
My 3 yr old son went there without his sister one day, he was fine when we left him. When we got to the room they called and said he wanted to go home. So I went to pick him up, he was fine, all he did was tell them he wanted to go so quick they call. He wasn't crying or anything. If they just entertained him or showed him where things were or just made a little bit effort to make it fun, he wouldn't even have thought saying that. So that was a bummer.

But I loved the lagoon, its man made so no rocks or anything. It is wonderful. December is cold and windy though. So I would recommend coming from march - summer.

Bed was comfy, pull out bed, was so-so. The bed is really high up, so I would recommend getting bed rails (hotel provides) if needed for little ones.

We could get a chair at the pool side at all times of the day even if hotel was booked, which was awesome.

Since we were there for four days/three nights we rarely left the hotel. There is so much to do!! We just enjoyed every minute of it, then later moved hotels to waikiki to do shopping and stuff towards the end of our trip. Will do the same next time!

5  Thank kimochii
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Positives:
Kids loved the beach, the pools, water park and aunties house
Kids were never bored
Staff was friendly although they seemed a bit slow and not too bright.

Negatives:
1. Bad Food
Food was unbearable. Even our 5 and 8 yr old didn't like the food
Minimal healthy food choices
2. Poor Service
Servers consistently got our orders wrong
Restaurants seemed understaffed. Many families waited to be seated as empty tables sat empty for up to 20 minutes.
Servers only come by twice during meals.
3. Rooms
3 star quality, at best.
When I asked to have my room cleaned, I was met with unfriendly questions as to why.
Rooms were never thoroughly cleaned. Our kids were battling colds which is why I requested clean rooms. Cleaning staff never cleaned the bathroom mirror. Never removed old soaps that got stuck to the bathroom counters, left old, empty toiletries in the bath tub. Did not pick up trash or towels off bedroom floor.
Room had minimal lighting. Two dimly lit lamps.
4. Penny pinching resort
Went for the New Years celebration. After forking out nearly $900 for a table, had to pay cash for all non water drinks (juice, soda, alcohol). Food, again, was terrible with only choices of lobster or pork. Sides and salads were pretty non-existent.
Party favors consisted of a paper hat and plastic bead necklace handed to you in a large white trash bag-very tacky. Music was terrible and put our kids to sleep.
New Years "gift" was a Longs drugstore 2013 paper calendar - again, very tacky.
No lighting so people couldn't see the buffet or their food as they were eating it.
5. Overpriced

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank 674Anonymous
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Did a family trip here for Christmas, there were five of us including a four year old so we wanted to do Disney but we also wanted to be AWAY from a Disney as well and with people flying in from all over the globe, Hawaii was about as central as we could get given where everyone was coming from.

So Aulani seemed like the perfect place (as a sidenote - all those banner ads and ads on various websites paid off for them! That's how I discovered it! I practically have the commercial committed to memory, seared in there forever! ugghhhh). So with Aulani, you get Disney magic, you get the characters, you get the kids stuff AND you get Hawaii. Fab.

First impressions - very new resort, lovely setting in Ko'Olina. It is a massive place with lots of rooms, but there is a decent amount of activities for the kids to do. Kids will love this place with all the water slides, pool parties, lazy river, beach, etc. So plenty to do. Great for families.

If you are honeymooning -and there WERE honeymooners here, I saw them at the character breakfasts and they were pointed out by 'Auntie'- I don't know why you would want to stay here aside from maybe convincing your significant other you don't want kids by giving them a bit of a shock given the insane amount of screaming children running around the place with parents chasing after them, even at breakfast. But hey, kids on vacation at a Disney property are allowed to do that right?

Decor is very Hawaiian, very nice I think. Is it 'luxurious'? I wouldn't say it is terribly 'luxurious' but it is nice, and comfortable. and did i mention Hawaiian? Architecturally it was very Hawaiian and I liked the outside of the building and decor, it seemed to fit into the surrounding area nicely. So, good place. Not over the top, perfect in its setting.

Rooms are very very clean, decent size with a lot of room. The porch, or lanai, is nice and sizable and really great to sit on to watch the ocean and sunset. Killer sunrises and sunsets here. Bathrooms were large and spacious. Superbly clean.

Staff and service was good for the most part, aside from one or two service staff who were out of it or rude. That can happen anywhere, you just don't expect it at Disney so much.

Location is great. When you are debating about where to stay in Oahu, there really are only two options: Waikiki, where you can stay with the thousands of other people and fight for a place on Waikiki beach; or Ko'Olina which is really a great location "away from it all" as there are only a couple of resorts here. It was busy, but it wasn't insanely busy.

BUT, the downside to this place is the cost as it constantly feels like mickey is sticking a vacuum cleaner in your wallet and sucking money out. Internet was free which surprised me honestly. Overnight parking was terribly expensive in my book, the food prices were also expensive and quality is hit and miss depending on where you eat. Ama Ama, the more "upscale" restaurant was mediocre at best. Buffet breakfasts with Disney characters - go for the characters and the fun, not for the food (again hit and miss)!

Granted, any resort is gonna be charging for this sort of stuff but it just felt inflated, further accelerated by the fact that your already paying Christmas/New Year prices for the rooms (which WERE NOT CHEAP AT ALL).

For food, I would suggest venturing out for dinners beyond the resort. There is very few dining options at the resort in my opinion and that's something that I fault the resort on. We enjoyed going over to Roy's across the street and Azul next door at the JW Marriott for some meals (went twice in seven nights actually to Azul). In fact, we dined out of the resort for dinner more than we dined in.

So in conclusion, would we return? I think so. We actually on our last night decided to extend our stay in Hawaii two more nights and moved to the madness of Waikiki, but we honestly regretted doing that and said we should have stayed at Disney for those additional two nights, even if we had to pay significantly more.

You have to take this resort for what it is: Disney, in Hawaii and it hits that mark nicely. It's just gonna be a bit pricey and just be prepared for that and you'll have a wonderful time!

9  Thank SQ452
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My son and I have a tradition of traveling for Thanksgiving, and this was our third consecutive trip to Hawaii, but his first time to Oahu and my first time in 30 years! I have champagne taste on a beer budget, so was fortunate to make a deal with a Disney Vacation Club member to stay at Aulani as their guest, otherwise I never could have afforded the rates, which are ridiculously high. My 9-year-old son can't wait to return, as finding the hidden meneheune was a favorite past time of his during our stay.
The mostly great:
I agree with the other reviewers that Disney has done a great job of balancing Disney with Hawaii. Almost every staff member was pleasant and accommodating, from the valets to the beach boys and everyone in between. We had some service hiccups in different dining locations and when possible, the managers/supervisors took immediate action to correct.
In particular, Mikey in the community room is one of the nicest people I've ever met. Happiness and joy seem to ooze from him, and he went out of his way to send a personal note and gift to our room just to say how much he enjoyed meeting us.
The room for improvement:
All centers around the food offerings & dining options, which I hope will be corrected when the current construction is completed. Wherever I travel, I would like to have the opportunity to eat the local food, and Aulani's menus mostly revolve around standard fast food fare that one can purchase on any street corner on the mainland. The one restaurant that offered seafood and more "local" fare is overpriced and the food I was served wasn't very good. Finally, how about replacing the standard honeydew melon & cantaloupe with local, tropical fruits such as mango, papaya, guava, pineapple, dragon fruit, star fruit, etc.

All in all, if I can make a deal with the DVC member again, we plan to return next Thanksgiving.

Room Tip: Pool view room is great value ...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family