5,929 results
All reviewscharacter breakfastlazy riverama amaaunty's beach housedvc membersbedroom villawater slidesulu cafecast membersrainbow reefoff the hookkids clubscavenger huntstarlit huimickey mouseacross the streetcommunity room
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights, over New Years, with a 3.5 year old. The grounds were amazing. The room was very clean. The staff were so friendly and very engaging with children. So many places it seems staff cast a wary eye at young children, not at Aulani. Almost every staff crouched down to my son's level and chatted with him. The food wasn't the best, but we didn't find it as bad as others have written. The wait staff were a little slow, but if one paid attention they noticed that the service was a little slow because the staff were really talking with the patrons. Taking time to tell them about what Aulani offered, what Oahu offered, things to see. They weren't rush rush, eat your food and leave. They wanted the patrons to take advantage of the resort and island. I'll take a little slower service with finding out about a place of interest I didn't know about vs harried and rushed service. The cleaning service was great and my son loved finding the washcloth animals and his lovies all tucked in his bed each night. The groundskeepers were very friendly. The beach was beyond safe.

A huge recommendation is to do the online checkin before you arrive. Also, if you are driving a car check in at the little booth along the main road into the resort area. We did, and the guy must've radioed in to the resort. When we pulled into the resort, we had 4 staff surround our car, they greeted us by name, they had leis and delicious fruit water in hand. PLUS our room keys were in hand and a luggage cart was ready. We happily trotted right past everyone stuck in line checking in. Our room was all ready even though we were about 30 minutes earlier than check in time.

Definitely make reservations unless you want buffet. Or walk across the street.

The only fault I could find is that they don't allow parents on the bridges in the child splash area. I know this is to prevent older kids and adults from taking over a child area, but it was a little rough having a 3.5 year old up there alone. You lose sight of them quickly as they scamp around. Plus there are multiple ways down so I was constantly running to the different points trying to find him. I think it is perfect for 5 and up, but I think parents ought to be able to escort 5 and under on the bridges. Plus, a few times my son got a little scared and I had to just stand there and yell the way down for him.

The cost is expensive but you know that. We drove into Honolulu one day and couldn't wait to get back to Ko Olina. Waaaay too many people over there. I strongly recommend staying at Aulani and day tripping to Waikiki/Pearl Harbor. Then you get to come back to a relaxing atmosphere after sitting in Honolulu traffic.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Mrs M
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We are DVC owners at Beach Club Villas and booked on points, just a couple of weeks before arriving in Hawaii (we had a week booked in Kauai). Before our trip, we were sent an envelope with our booking confirmation, as well as a very nice (and expensive to print) Aulani booklet.

We knew that the check-in time was at 4:00PM, but arrived at 1:30 or so. We were welcomed home by name as our car was unloaded, and guided to a hostess (for lack of a better word), who presented our family with gifts and explanations of each item given to us. A Menehune necklace for my youngest daughter, Kukui Nut Lei for my husband and Tuberose Leis for my teenage daughter and myself. It was so nice to have a beautiful, fragrant Lei that is different from the common purple & white orchid Lei's that are in every grocery store. After the gifts were presented, they offered citrus-infused ice-water to us, and then we proceeded into the Lobby where she explained the name of it (Maka’ala), and talked about the paintings and art. From the lobby we were guided on to a large patio that overlooked the pool area, where she explained the different areas of the pool. After that, she introduced us to the woman who would do the check-in.

I must say at this point, that I have stayed in some pretty amazing hotels in my time, but have NEVER experience this level of service or attention during my arrival. This greeting and introduction to the property was off the charts!

The suite itself is very nicely appointed. I wouldn't say it is luxurious in an opulent-sense, but there is a nice attention to detail in the beautiful wood doors and Island decor. Our 2 bedroom unit had 2 Queen beds in one room (bath-shower combo), 1 King bed in the other (separate whirlpool tub & shower with rainshower and wall mounted spray) and a pullout couch and chair in the living room that could sleep an additional 3 people.It was nice that the bedrooms were separated by the living room, and that the master bedroom had its own deck. The Queen bedroom shared a deck with the living room.

The kitchen had PLENTY of dishes and glasses (I forgot to count how many settings, sorry!). What I really liked though, is that this unit actually had a kettle (the other DVC's make you call housekeeping to borrow one). It even had a rice-cooker, though we didn't use it, it reflected a respect for the needs of the many Japanese guest who stay at Aulani (there is even a Japanese concierge). During the stay we also borrowed a blender, and made milkshakes for the kids -- it was delivered promptly and had just been cleaned.

Service-wise, we were also surprised that they changed our towels during the day and also gave us a turn-down service at night (with chocolates left for us on the King size bed). For a stay less than a week, I wasn't expecting any linen changes or tidy to be done in the rooms.

The pool with lazy river was great. There is actually enough of a current to move you around it (a problem at some other resorts I've been to), there are lots of curves so you feel like you have quite a bit of privacy and space from other guests, and changes of scenery as you go (including a tunnel and waterfall), which makes for a nice experience. There are 2 waterslides, a dark tunnel that I believe does a straight drop (that I didn't go on), and a curvy one that is partially open to the sky in most parts (I did try that one a few times). Usually resort water slides are very tame and boring, but this was really fun. There were lots of tubes available and the line was no more than 6 minutes (usually faster) during our stay.

The Rainbow Reef (a snorkelling pool) which is a paid experience, is discounted by 10% if you are a DVC member. When I was checked in, they had not noted on my reservation I was DVC, so it took a few minutes for them to call the front desk and look up my membership. It was quickly resolved, and we were on our way. After showering and putting on your mask, snorkel and vest, you are instructed to not 'kick' but to use your arms to move through the water. You are also not to dive, touch the fish or coral. I love ocean snorkelling, but this was a PERFECT place to introduce your kids to snorkelling. There is a shallow sandy area that you can practice in (before going into deep water), and there are no sea-urchins or scary looking fish to contend with. All the fish are beautiful, brightly coloured, no scary teeth showing or dark corners to the pool. There is a good combination of rock and white sand, so there is a lot of light reflected. The pool hours are also only untl 5PM, which ensures good visibility. I only bought a 1 day pass to the snorkelling and thought it was plenty. I went in 3 times, and got the snorkelling 'out of my system', and my girls didn't feel like they needed to go back in either.

I have been to Ko Olina before, but what is really nice here, is the almost seamless transition between the pool area and the beach and lagoons of Ko Olina. There is one staircase down to the beach (there is a security gate to go through), and then there are plenty of loungers available that you can drag to the waters edge if you wish. This is the perfect beach for sandcastles, it has a gentle entry to the water with no drop-offs and is sand bottomed with good visibility. There is no seaweeed, and it is sand underfoot. Really great for swimming, I think my kids enjoyed this equally to the fantastic pool area that Aulani had.

Other than the poolside fast-food options, we ate one night at the Makahiki restaurant. There is a choice between ala carte dining or the buffet -- there is no requirement for everyone at the table to choose the same thing. As it turned out, we all ordered the buffet, because even at over $40 a head ($43?), we felt it was an excellent value despite the initial sticker-shock (children 3-9 are $20). After seeing the buffet filled with things like, poke, sashimi, crab legs, salmon, roast beef, beautiful ribs and desserts including individual molten lava cakes, I could see this was definitely a step above the other buffets I have had at Disney restaurants (the highly regarded Boma buffet at AKL paled in comparison). The food was actually very good -- our group of 6 loved the food, including the fussy eaters in our family. The service was very good, and when we ordered tea everyone was given separate ceramic tea pots, individual creamers (with milk or cream as each requested) and a large assortment of some of the best organic teas. We ate out on the deck, which was really atomospheric, especially as it got dark and the tiki torches were lit. The inside of the restaurant seemed like it may have been a bit noisy (lots of hard surfaces and no tablecloths) -- I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much as an outdoor table.

Our youngest daughter went to Aunty's Beach House, and had a great time there. There is a security wristband that lets the staff know which room your child is in at all times. The club has cleanliness protocols, and the place is spotless and inviting -- I would never hesitate taking my kids there.

Our teenage daughter did go to the teen club (spa), but she found so few people there she didn't stay.

I really liked that even on your check-out date, you are welcome to use all the facilities after your check out time of 11am. There is also a lounge (for those checking in or out) you can watch TV or even print your boarding passes for your flight. We printed our passes there, and all the equipment was in working order.

Just outside the resort (still a drive though), is a Country Market (par of the ABC store chain) as well as a Mexican restaurant and a Bbq (traditional lunch plate) restaurant. Although likely overpriced, the Country Market was great for us to get a few groceries to get us through the weekend. They also have some hot items (teriyaki chicken, roast turkey etc.) and made-to-order sandwiches and salads. For $9 we bought a HUGE salad where you choose your greens, a dressing, your protien and 3 toppings. It easily feeds 2. This was a great low-price meal option, and I couldn't have bought the ingredients for less.

There are a lot of threads where people are trying to compare Aulani to another resort on Oahu. I don't think there is anyway of comparing this resort at all. Even though the food is not included in the rate, this is very close to Disney Cruise Lines in the amount of (all-inclusive) activities and amenities offered. I don't know other resorts where your kids are begging you to go to the kids club and that the quality of care is so high.

Our family travels a lot, in timeshares as well 5* hotels. This is one of the first places we've said that we MUST get back to as soon as possible. A reservation takes an incredible amount of points, but for our family, we will be willing to group 2-3 years of points to be able to get some more time here. I think a week would have been too much, but 4 or 5 nights would be perfect. The Ko Olina area doesn't have much else to see -- so this vacation is more about staying in Aulani than using it as a home-base for other trips.

I love this place, the setting, the rooms, the incredible services -- it absolutely deserves my 15 star rating.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank epicureangirl
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We are a family of four (2 daughters 7 and 5). This is an amazing resort for those with kids.

Our highlights included:

Aunty's Beach House - seriously an AWESOME give by the resort. They had great activities for the kids along with a great play space filled with many fun art and play options. I wish I was young so I could go play at Aunty's!

Raft Water Slide - my daughters loved this as did my husband and I. My 5 year old was a little hesitant but once she started she never wanted to stop going down the water slide.

Lagoon - we had such fun snorkeling in the lagoon. My husband came across a 3 legged sea turtle and got some great photos. I signed the girls up for the resort reef snorkeling and then we would use the gear (and fins only offered at the lagoon) at the lagoon. My 7 year old had a lot of fun out in the water.

Refillable mug - no brainier for us. The girls had hot chocolate in the morning and we got some hot chocolate for the shows at night on the lawn (as it was a little windy).

Water play area - the girls loved running around here. I tried to join but was not allowed up top only able to join on the ground fun.

The Staff - always eager to help and loved teaching the girls Hawaiian phrases.

We were disappointed with the quick food options as it tasted very amusement park like. Disney always seems to spare no expense however this is where they fall short.

All and all a great family vacation and the kids didn't want to leave. My youngest actually cried as we were leaving. I feel that I have spoiled my kids on future island travels as we will go more rustic so we can get a feel for the islands. We will definitely miss the guilt free, free time that Aunty's beach house afforded us. Tip: if it is windy, the beach was a warmer option for laying out. Loved the basic bean and cheese kids burrito at Just Tacos across the street. Got the food to go and asked for chips and salsa and they gave me a box full with some great mild salsa at no extra charge.

Hope this helps at least one reader!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
12  Thank 98CindyS98
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I love Disney World and I thought what could be better than a Disney resort in my favorite place in the world? It is a lovely resort and not much was left out of this resort but I realized that Hawaii is my favorite place because it is everything Disney isn't. I go there to get away from the hustle and bustle and enjoy simpler things. I think if I had been there with children it would have been a different story but for just my husband and I, we could have and should have gone a little more low key. The rooms are beautifully decorated and have everything you could ask for, the grounds are immaculate, although very busy (not just with people but not a square foot is wasted.) I just find that when we are there, we're there to experience the island, not the resort.

We went to Ama Ama for breakfast twice and really enjoyed our meals there. We enjoyed appetizers at the bar our first evening and those were very nice too. The spa... This is what I was most looking forward to, as it had received such high accolades from others. I see the potential but it was a miss for me. The outdoor area where you're supposed to relax and enjoy yourself was beautiful and would have been great, had there not been construction going on at both the Disney resort AND the resort directly adjacent to the spa. I paid a good deal of money for a massage and I have to say, it wasn't anything spectacular. There were odd breaks in the massage where I'm fairly certain the girl was checking her phone. I didn't open my eyes to see but I can assume just by the girl's age and what I could hear as I was not being massaged that's what was happening. I wouldn't have been too mad about it if they didn't automatically include her tip in the price as I was checking out, as I didn't feel she deserved the full tip I was forced to give her. I'm never one to argue over price so I didn't say a word, I figured word of mouth will take care of the situation.

The construction. There were a few things that were unavailable during our stay due to constructions. One being the Starlit Hui and the movies on the lawn. I'm not quite sure why, but they weren't being offered. These are really the two activities that I was looking forward to because I was pregnant at the time and there really wasn't much else I could do as far as activities. I realize that my pregnancy is no fault of the resort's but it was a disappointment. Upon checkout, our bill was delivered to our room and it showed a credit for $150, apparently to compensate for the renovations being done. I was more than satisfied with this. The problem was, no one ever told us that it was a credit and it was to be used at the resort on our room card. So after a 2 billing cycles and seeing no credit, I called to see what the problem was. I ended up having to put up a bit of a fight but Disney, as usual, was extremely helpful and I got a check for the $150 in the mail that I felt I was due.

I wouldn't stay here again but only based on personal preference. I prefer something a little smaller and less busy for my vacations.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ErinEKM
Reviewed January 10, 2013

As a member of DVC this is another fantastic resort destination. This is our second visit. We came in Feb 2012. Early Jan is much quieter and still great weather. The spa was amazing ($200/session) and worth repeating. AMA AMA's food and service was excellent. We are entree sharers so we paid about $70 for breakfast (healthy choices) and $150 for dinner (with beverages). The pools are super and all the staff at Aulani are very inviting and attentive. Disney attention to detail is everywhere. A tourist can not help learn and respect something of the Hawaiian people and culture (our favorite part of this resort). Live music is available every night. Ko'Olina also offers a great walking path along the lagoon beaches (8500 steps a stroll) and several other eating options such as a great ABC store (save money on room eats and drinks), MonkeyPod across the street best Happy Hour EVER (fantastic food and REAL cocktails, great prices), Roy's and several other resort restaurants at standard resort prices. The Aulani variety show is a must (complimentary), Star Gaze ($40/p) was interesting (the adult session is NOT strictly enforced). We would definitely return to Aulani as a regular! Very relaxing in January.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple