6,044 results
All reviews character breakfast lazy river ama ama aunty's beach house dvc members bedroom villa water slides ulu cafe cast members rainbow reef off the hook kids club scavenger hunt starlit hui mickey mouse across the street community room
Reviewed January 30, 2017

This has to be the best resort anywhere for families with young kids. Rooms are spacious and impeccably clean (no doubt due to the very high expectations of the large numbers of Japanese guests). The swimming pools, beach activities, Disney character greetings (and photo ops), outdoor movie nights, and so much more, are all targeted to families with young kids.

It's great for Adults on their own too. The area around Aulani is much quieter and easier to travel in and out of, than anywhere else on Oahu. This was our eighth visit to Aulani (we are Disney Vacation club members), and we really enjoyed our stay. We asked for an received a room that was remote from where all the kids activities are, so we were left with a wonderful quiet room with a great ocean view.

There isn't much for teens to do here, and I would expect that they would be much happier being in the middle of Waikiki. The extraordinary variety of day and night entertainment, and all the shopping there, will likely be much more appealing to teens than the much more subdued and child-focused Disney Aulani.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2017

My wife is pregnant and we have one four year old girl so for a babymoon/family resort this place was exactly what we were looking for. Clean rooms, amazing pina coladas, great pools & activities!

The private lagoon in front of the resort is great for trying out some stand up paddle boarding or snorkeling.

Don't forget to complete the scavenger hunt with the supplied tablets. Head out around 6:30 pm as most of the events look way cooler at night!

Already planning our return trip when the baby is old enough.

Room tip: Go for a higher floor
Reviewed January 29, 2017

Stayed in the one bedroom villa with my family of four. We had reserved a garden view, but since this view was unavailable we were upgraded to an oceanview. The room was handicapped accessible, so it lacked the tub. The shower had a wonderful optional rain shower. The room was well equipped. The sleeper sofa was more comfortable than most. The trundle style bed which pulled out from under the entertainment center was comfortable as well. It was very heavy to pull out, so we only used it the first night of our stay. I dropped the bed on my foot and was bruised and bleeding. We were happy that we decided to pay the additional fee for the one bedroom villa with kitchen and washer/dryer and also had a rental car. The restaurants in the resort were very expensive and children over 10 are considered adults. We ate at the seafood buffet one evening and had lunch by the pool one day. The service and food was good. The rest of the time we had breakfast and lunch in the room and drove to close by restaurants in the area. We are also pleased that we opted to say in the Ko'olina area, rather than Waikiki. We drove by Waikiki beach one day and it was incredibly crowded and would not have been enjoyable for my family. The resort is impeccably maintained. Took advantage of the complementary sand toys boogie boards, and movie under the stars. My daughter enjoyed the Rainbow Reef snorkeling. She went back twice during our one day pass so she could feed the fish. The water was just too cold for my son. I visited the gift shop to purchase a shaver/shaving cream. The gift shop was out of the items and a complementary shaver/cream sent up to our room right away. My daughter developed a rash after a day at the beach. The hotel provided ointment which was sufficient for her case. It would be a good idea to have a nurse on-site or a service in which a physician could come to the hotel if needed. When our family visited Orlando Florida a few years back, the hotel contracted with a service and a physician came to our room. Although this hotel was wonderful, we probably would not stay here again due to the cost. The hotel has many wonderful amenities, which I am sure contribute to the pricepoint. However, we did not have the time to use the amenities to the fullest. We spent much of our time away from the hotel exploring - (North Shore, Shrimp shacks, Pearl Harbor, Horseback Riding, Luau) and for this reason I would not stay here again. If I return, I might opt to stay at the Marriot down the way which looked wonderful as well, but was less expensive. With regards to chairs by the pool and beach, we could always find chairs by the beach. The pool chairs were in high demand. The one day that we had designated as our pool day, I did wake up at the crack of dawn to reserve my chairs. I sat there with my cup of coffee, read and waited for my family to join me. I observed the attendants removing the towels if the chairs were unattended.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Twinmom1005
Reviewed January 29, 2017

First the good, The kids enjoyed the pools, activities and treasure hunt, so from kids perspective it was great. From the adults, the shuttle service is not the traditional Disney service it is a third part and no one was around and we had to hunt them down. We stayed at two other resorts on two other islands before coming to Disney that were bright open and just felt more Hawaiian to us. We found Aulani it to be very dark (Animal Kingdom feel). We were also disappointed about getting luggage to your room, you have to be in your room and call for delivery it takes up to 30 minutes while the kids are going crazy to explore. There is also no Resort information on the TV, just time share channels which we found strange and we asked the guy who brought our luggage and he said people always ask about that. They did not give you good information it took a day a d half to really figure things out and mostly by talking to other guests. We found the time share sales booths to be too much. They were not pushy at all but just seemed like they were everywhere you turned. The buffet food prices were also very expensive. We are Disney annual pass holders so we feel like we are used to the expensive food but it seemed excessive especially for very young kids. The rooms were very nice but we had an "Ocean Front" room which looked directly at the four seasons next door. When it says ocean front I expect to look out the window and see ocean and or Palm tress not a big white hotel. You had to go out on the balcony and lean over to really see the ocean. The other bad thing being on that side of the resort we like to sit outside or leave the door open to enjoy the air but it seemed we constantly had delivery trucks at the Four Seasons beeping and backing up to the docks. We will be going back to Disney in Florida in June so we are defiantly not anti Disney, just felt Aulani does not live up to Disney expectations and will not go back. The two other resorts we stayed at on this trip were much better and more of a Hawaiian feel and had almost as many kid activities. Aunties beach house was great it just took a while to figure it out. Daily activity newsletter is not delivered to the room you have to go down and get them.

Room tip: Make sure you are not on the outside wings not looking at the hotel next door which Disney considers "ocean front"
Reviewed January 28, 2017

From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, everything was top notch! A beautiful, spotless resort with exemplary employees who constantly went out of their way to make our stay amazing, I am amazed by the reviews that complain there are so many kids/families there - it is a DISNEY resort! But there are lots of opportunities to be away from the family atmosphere. The pools are clean, and were never crowded. Although the poolside lounges are busy, we always found vacant ones to suite our needs. There is a small grocery across the street from the hotel in easy walking distance to get food or other necessities if needed. We enjoyed the few interactions we had with the Disney characters, not as much as you would see them at Disney parks, but our breakfast interaction with Minnie and Mickey, and the pool parties were so much fun! Don't miss the luau, it was pricey but the food was very good and the show even kept our 1 yr old's attention. We had an issue with my husband's mobility scooter malfunctioning before we left the mainland, and so we nervously arrived in Hawaii without it, but no worries - the concierge made a call and we had one delivered to us the next AM! Bell services went above and beyond every time we interacted with them, and housekeeping was caring and friendly, adjusting their schedules to accommodate nap time. Of course staying at Aulani is pricey, but about the same as you would spend at the theme parks for food, etc., and it IS Hawaii after all. Our one disappointment was the food offered in the fast food area, expensive and poor quality, but the restaurants were very good. We would highly recommend Aulani for a fun family vacation!

Room tip: No need to have a room with an ocean view, the rooms are not near enough to the beach to make that necessary, all views are gorgeous
1  Thank travelfanmok