“Best beach on the island of Oahu!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waimanalo
Bellows Air Force Station
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Make reservations as far out as possible. Ask for a renovated cabin with beach front. Do your grocery shopping at Hickam or Kanehoe Bay Marine Base before you check in. Must have items are coffee filters, charcoal, lighter fluid, bottle water.
Kudo's to Front Desk Ms. Natalie due to the room card key programmer inoperative from a lightning storm before our arrival. She was the friendliest, most helpful and courteous person at the front desk, can't say the same about a Ms. Debbie (reservations) when we approached her about making some adjustments to the bill for us due to that we did not have a room key for 3 days. She was extremely unfriendly and walked away from a conversation related to this issue.
The people that clean the rooms are very friendly, and go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Also the people working at the Shoppette are very nice and personable.
Watch out for Roaches and Centerpides, and the birds that are not scared of humans, and have definitley been feed human food! Numerous family friendly activities to do on Bellows.
Some of the people and families that stay here are not respectful of your privacy in and around the cottages! Be aware!
There is no A/C, but there is always a breeze so it's comfortable with the windows open.
The beach is just steps away and it's quiet here. Not all the hussle and bussle you have down at Waikiki!!!! Nice place to stay for rest and relaxation!

Room Tip: Ask for renovated beach front cottage ;-)
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank g2ggilbert
There are newer reviews for Bellows Air Force Station

Reviewed 16 May 2011

I spent the last two nights at a Bellows "Camper Cottage", which is a one-room space with a set of bunks and a double/queen bed. The mattress is there, you bring your own bedding. The only electricity is an overhead light in the room and one on the front deck. There is NO electrical outlet for charging your laptop, etc.
There was lots of sand in the room on arrival. The sole camper's sink in the middle of the camper cottages was remarkably dirty and the faucet didn't' work. You have to go to the back and use the shut-off valve to turn on the water. By 3 PM (check-in time), ALL toilet tissue was used up in the ladies rest room stalls.
The windows have mildew and filth, see pics.
I LOVE Bellows Air Force Station--been going there for 25 years, but this stay was the pits. I was given a 25% discount as a result of my discontent, but I think it wasn't an adequate compensation. A free night, or a voucher for a return visit would have gone a long way.

Room Tip: Um, try a different camp ground.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kitcat22
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We had two cabins. The beach is unmatched - beautiful, clean, sparsly populated. Our cabins were "unrenovated". Had no problem with the cabins, beds, personnel, etc. Due to the expected number of "critters" we chose to do all of our cooking and eating outside.

Our group had two children, ages 8 and 10. Both have respiratory allergies. Our concern was in the centipede population. After reading several of the reviews on this site, we Googled Hawaiian centipedes. The information and photos are just plain scary. As it turned out we saw and killed three centipedes inside of our cabin. Each time they were on their way in or out of the bedroom where our youngsters were sleeping. It is true that stepping on them does not work. Neither does bug spray. We wound up following advice from the WEB and cut each one up into 4 pieces and flushed them away.

Paradise does have its price. We recommend this facility to anyone who does not mind going into it with eyes open. We did not learn of the centipede issue until several days before our family members were to arrive from the mainland. Thus we chose to move forward and take our chances. A great time was had by all.

Yes, the cabins are not the Hilton. But we are military - so we have seen worse. It is definitely worth the price. Rents are VERY reasonable for Oahu and deals are to be had if you book tours and attractions through Turtle Cove. A shoppette located within walking distance is well stocked with most anything you may need - including charcoal. The restaurant is small, friendly and very informal. There is a driving range, miniature golf course and lots of equipment (boogie boards etc) for rent.

Mahalo for reading this review!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank paramus1943
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Bellows is very reasonably price and offers the best beach. If you’re all about saving your cash getting out and experiencing the beach and the many different things the island s to offer, Bellow is the place for you. This is not a five star hotel and the cabins are a little run down but are not inhabitable (they are old, but clean), you get what you pay for. There is little flexibility upon check-in as to what cabin you may get, some are closer to the beach than others; but regardless of what beach front cabin you get it takes only seconds to get to the beach. The interior of the cabins are close to rustic with some amenities (fridg, microwave, stove/oven, coffee pot and TV), but for the price the cabins are roomy and provide the essentials for any stay.

The check in staff was considerate and efficient. They were thoughtful in their explanations, which was refreshing after a lost luggage experience with Hawaiian Airlines. The staff at Turtle Cove were helpful and polite and rental equipment list and rates was extensive and reasonable.

The location is 10-15 outside of Waikiki and thus if you wanted more than what Turtle Cove and the Shop had to offer, you had to drive to get it. You will need a rental car. Stop at the Costco which is on your way to Bellows from the Airport and stock up.

If you want to indulge in an adult beverage you can’t do so on the beach or at least that’s what the directory of guest services book says and if you are smoker you have to adventure 50 feet from your cabin or any other facility to light up. If you have children you may be able to request a cabin by the play structure, however if you would like to enjoy a setting that does not include the play structure, see if you can request a cabin away from it.

Bellows is a good bang for your buck.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank owenscj_2
Reviewed 9 October 2010

My husband and I recently took our our 1 year old to Hawaii for the first time. We loved the cabins that we stayed in and LOVED being so close to the beach. It made it super easy to get to the beach with a little one. It wasn't a 5 star hotel, at times it felt more like camping at the beach with electricity ( no air in room, sand on tile floors, not the cleanest shower). There was plenty of beach so we felt like we had the beach to ourselves and our little one was able to crawl around without bothering anyone.
One thing to note is this beach does get its share of Jelly Fish & Man-of-wars so caution should be used before jumping in the water.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank anonymouswifemom
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Twice in te last two weeks I have had the unfortunate pleasure of asking for help from the Bellows reservation staff.

First, I had a departmental paintball party on a Friday afternoon. I set up my own grill in the grass field under the shade of a tree. Security stopped me and asked for my plastic pass. I didn't have one, so I went to the reservations desk and asked permission to use the shade from 1100 to 1300. The immediate response was no you must rent it. I stated I wasn't camping but I would rent it for the two hours. Again the answer was no. The lady would barely make eye contact with me and gave me the impression that my questions were inconvienencing her. (By the way paintball was great, highly recommended)
Second, I rented a campsite for the long weeked. I had a question about enclosed fire pits with screens. The lady told me no before I even completed the full sentence. If you hate your job, the customers or just aren't a people person do everyone a favor and please find a profession that you like instead of raining on my parade just because you can.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank EasyDay
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I discovered Bellow along with my husband while we were younger space A backpackers. Imagine our delight when we accidently discovered this paradise with affordable camping and cabins( safe camping for $1/night and cabins for $12.50/night circa 1985) Over the years we have brought many friends here and everyone is astonished at the beauty and affordability of this place. Yes, it has changed over the years. They used to have a nice restaurant and bar but this has been replaced by more eating options. The cabins are "rustic" at best but I have always found the staff at reservations and housekeeping friendly. Don't expect New York minute service. Don't expect luxury rooms. I was disappointed a few years ago by the state of the cabins. They were definately weathered and in need of a good cleaning and painting. Our last visit we got into newer cabins and they were great. Bugs in the tropics can always be a problem. Store your food appropriately. In 25 years I've seen 1 centipede, a few roaches and pesty ants. I hope to never see a centipede again and will always double check my shoes from now on!
Overall, this place is wonderful for a relaxing vacation away from the madness of Waikiki. We always enjoy the restaurant in Kaneohe. Enjoy it for what it is and you will not find a more beautiful beach ANYWHERE! Isn't that why you go to Hawaii??? I'm counting the months until my next visit in 2011.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JR4733
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimanalo
37.2 km away
47.8 km away
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Bellows Air Force Station? Share your experiences!