US$425
US$134
  • Fitness centre
Ilima Hotel(Honolulu)
US$155
White Sands Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$129
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$144/night.

US$179
US$189
US$162
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrenovated cabinturtle covethe hale koagas stationbeach frontmilitary idmilitary familiesfront rowair forceper nightair conditioneddriving rangestayed nightsfull sizeliving roomocean breezemilitary personnel
Reviewed March 25, 2009

I usually do alot of research prior to staying anywhere on vacation. When I researched Bellows I knew that I had chosen the unrenovated portion of the cabins but I did not realize how archaic (spelling) it really was! We traveled with our married friends and were given a cabin that was singular, not attatched to any other cabins. These cabins are not represented in the photographs on Bellows website. The "room" that our friends were to stay in had an accordian style door to close to give them privacy....when it was closed there was a big tear on one end thus absolutely no privacy. We all just sort of laughed at that.

The electrical set up was ooooold and we couldn't use some outlets for fear of starting an electrical fire! When we plugged things in it would spark...so I started staying away from any plugs that had burnt marks on them.

I did not know...honest to God....how windy this side of the island is! Now this is nothing Bellows could have fixed HOWEVER the windows dont shield you from all this wind so our drapes were constantly blowing out and allowing cool wind in. I do have to say that we never really got cold but there is always this coolness about the cabin that makes it just not comfortable. We arrived in the evening and there is absolutely no way to get any extra blankets or towels if needed.

The staff at Bellows is absolutely wonderful...the shopette has everything you need....the laundry area is clean and has plenty of washing machines....we loved doing our laundry while watching the ocean! The surrounding areas and the beach on Bellows were picture perfect!!! We have lovely photographs of the beach. I had heard that you cannot swim in this beach during the winter as there are man o war out there!

the drive from Bellows to anywhere is not bad...very good location too. Just wish our cabin had been more of what was described on the website.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank nursebecky2006
Reviewed December 13, 2008

Great military lodging! Very secluded and well kept. This was the first time I had ever stayed there and was immediately impressed. Our initial reservation was for 2 days only, but when we checked in, we inquired about extending and were able extend to 8 days without issue. There is plenty of support there from MWR. They have a ticket office where you can get discounted tickets for all sorts of events around Oahu. We saved about $30 on luau tickets. We were also able to rent kayaks and surfboards. We stayed in a renovated cabin for $80/night. Full kitchen with pots/pans/etc. Cabins have no air conditioning, but we didn't need it. Wonderful breeze coming through was perfect.
The only downside was the maintenance. I reported our phone being dead for 3 days and no one was sent out to fix it. Ultimately, the stay was great and I'll definitely be looking at Bellows next time we head to Oahu.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
19  Thank ChadGeorge
Reviewed December 9, 2008

I had been to Oahu 3 times and have always stayed at the Hale Koa on Waikiki. I had heard about Bellows but had never been over there to check it out. What little I did read (reviews here) talked about bugs in paradise...

My husband and I, along with our 5 year old son, had an upcoming trip booked to Oahu as a military retirement trip for my husband. We were scheduled to stay the full week at the Hale Koa.

My mom, who is in Chicago, asked to come along with us..... partly to help babysit our son so we could have some time alone.

I didn't want to increase our budget by having to have 2 rooms at the Hale Koa, so I started to look into alternatives on the bases (such as Navy Inn, Schofield Inn). SInce this was peak PCS time for military, nothing was available.

By sheer luck I was able to grab the last 3 nights at Bellows. I was really worried my mom would not like it there. She is 64 and very picky. She wasn't sure she would enjoy being there. I promised her that if she had a problem, we would move after the first night.

We spent 4 wonderful nights at the Hale Koa, then went over to Bellows for our last 3. We were in a renovated back row cabin. It was nice, but basic. The beach itself was incredibly beautiful. The units have 2 bedrooms (1 queen and 2 twins). There is also a full kitchen. There was one bathroom and a stand up shower.

The only downsides were this:

We were hot during the day! (we were there in July). No air conditioning, but fans. We left the doors open to get a breeze during the day. Once it got dark, we did notice more bugs trying to get it and had to shut our doors! We made sure we kept our food sealed up or in the fridge.

We picked up food at Bellows at the small shoppette and then decided to go to Kaneohi Base to stock up more. We had a great time cooking out and enjoying how peaceful it was there.

Honestly, I can't wait to go back! I probably would not do it in the hotter summer months, but it is so hard to get a cabin there! They book up 6 months in advance..

Being on the windward side is so much nicer that Waikiki. If you are staying on Oahu for a week, I would recommend 4 nights at the Hale Koa, and then at least 3 nights at Bellows...

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
15  Thank Lvtolvlife
Reviewed February 27, 2007

Wow - I thought Bellows was not shown as a location on TripAdvisor, so I never did a review. Then I came across this - sorry it took me so long to find it, I would have posted sooner.

We were there last year, March 2006. After 5 days at Hale Koa, we moved to Bellows for 3 nights. We did get a renovated back row cabin, so I can't speak about the whole "non-renovated" issue. Our cabin was fairly nice, but it is a cabin and not a 5-star resort. Having stayed on military bases and recreation areas around the world, we knew it would not be a 5-star, so maybe we did not have such high expectations. But - we were pleasantly surprised to find a clean and inviting cabin, with a wide-open view of the most FABULOUS beach I have ever seen!

Pros - our cabin had updated kitchen and furniture, tile floors, direct view of ocean (even though it was back row), inexpensive spot to eat at Bellows and just offsite in the quaint little town of Wiamanalo. We rented boogie boards and did the snorkeling class - LOVED all the water activities!! We were there for the beach - the AMAZING beach, but the cabin was really just fine. Price was right, I think $65 a night!

Cons - check out was too early since our flight was that night, and they were not willing to budge on the time. I would have liked more towels since we were in and out of the shower quite a bit after the beach. And - no washer/dryer in the cabin. We had to call way ahead and keep trying to get the 3 nights, but that did not bug me. (Try finding a place to stay on a base when your spouse gets back to the US after a year in Iraq!)

I recommend this place, and we hope to go back!

Stayed: March 2006
21  Thank Reet6
Reviewed October 18, 2006

After many years of rave reviews about the military cabins on Bellows, I was so looking forward to our visit. Yes, the location is absolutely excellent and the most wonderful beach you could ask for. But as far as staying there ...what a disappointment! It took me months of calling several times a day before I finally was able to snag a reservation for an unrenovated cabin, which is all they had available. (BTW, their reservation "system" is a disaster and not customer friendly at all. Hale Koa is just as popular if not more so, and they have a good reservations system figured out. Why can't Bellows? )

And when they say unrenovated cabins, they mean it! Don't let the photos on the website fool you. The cabin we got was so run down it should be an embarrassment to the USAF. I am from Florida so I am not squeamish about bugs at all. I fully understand in tropical environments a certain amount of bugs are to be expected. But their notice of "Pests in paradise" needs an adjustment. THE PLACE WE HAD WAS ABSOLUTELY INFESTED! There were so many ants throughout the place, we had to put the cup with our toothbrushes in a bowl with water just to keep the ants out . All food had to be stored in the fridge or it was covered with ants. The ants were even inside our toiletry bags and crawling on the towels in the bathroom. One night, there was a swarm (and I mean hundreds) of termites in the bathroom. Then we had the wonderful 4-inch long Hawaiian centipedes make an appearance. (From what I understand these things can bite and sting. Not good if you have small children crawling around the floors.) As a final insult, we wound up having a lovely, very large roach (tropical kind) hitchhike home in one of our suitcases. Luckily, it met its maker on our basement floor.

The baseboards throughout the cabin were held on with duct tape. The ceiling fan was hanging by the wires in the large bedroom. The jalousy window glass was so dirty you could write your name on it. The sofa was dirty and it should have been disposed of long ago. (I've seen cleaner furniture at DRMO sales!) One night, we came back to find the entire floor (bathroom, kitchen and dining/living area) covered with water which we had to sop up with our bathroom towels. When we went to the office to tell the "customer service" rep there was some sort of water leak, she was pretty unconcerned about it. Her initial reaction was basically, "Oh well." It took quite a bit of convincing to get her to check it out so she could get maintenance to address it. Even when she saw the water all over the floor firsthand, she was pretty unconcerned. So I guess this kind of stuff happens all the time. Be warned!

Speaking of "customer service" this was the worst I've ever received at any miltiary installation lodging or recreation center. The same individual mentioned above was on duty most of our stay. Her attitude was bad when we arrived and it never improved throughout. When we got in, we asked if there were any places to eat nearby as we hadn't had a chance to get any food yet. She handed us a commercial-type magazine with restaurants all over the entire island of Oahu. We asked if she knew of any LOCAL places close by, since we didn't know our way around. She said she knew of none!!! Nor did she have a map of the local area. Nor could she give us directions to the closest food store. Here's the best part -- what she failed to mention is that they have a snack bar IN THE SAME BUILDING AS THE FRONT DESK! It wasn't till the next day we discovered it. That would have been all we needed - a sandwich or something, but she didn't even think to mention it to us!

I know, I know, the beach there is absolutely beautiful. And the price is not bad. But I have to tell you, we stayed at a private-sector place earlier in the vacation that was only $60 per night more than Bellows and was FAR better - and it was right on a beach and had a pool, too. No bugs, clean & well-maintained, full kitchens, room for 4, friendly staff members and free breakfasts.

Bottom line: If you can get a "renovated" cabin, it might be worth giving Bellows a shot for a few nights. But if they offer you an unrenovated cabin, I would SERIOUSLY reconsider. For a bit more money, you can probably find something far better in the private sector and have a wonderful, enjoyable R&R. Without worrying about what's crawling all over you at night!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
37  Thank TwoTravelersToG... A