All reviewsturtle covethe hale koagas stationbeach frontmilitary idmilitary familiesfront rowair forceper nightair conditioneddriving rangestayed nightsfull sizeliving roomocean breezemilitary personnelwi fi
Reviewed June 9, 2010

I discovered Bellow along with my husband while we were younger space A backpackers. Imagine our delight when we accidently discovered this paradise with affordable camping and cabins( safe camping for $1/night and cabins for $12.50/night circa 1985) Over the years we have brought many friends here and everyone is astonished at the beauty and affordability of this place. Yes, it has changed over the years. They used to have a nice restaurant and bar but this has been replaced by more eating options. The cabins are "rustic" at best but I have always found the staff at reservations and housekeeping friendly. Don't expect New York minute service. Don't expect luxury rooms. I was disappointed a few years ago by the state of the cabins. They were definately weathered and in need of a good cleaning and painting. Our last visit we got into newer cabins and they were great. Bugs in the tropics can always be a problem. Store your food appropriately. In 25 years I've seen 1 centipede, a few roaches and pesty ants. I hope to never see a centipede again and will always double check my shoes from now on!
Overall, this place is wonderful for a relaxing vacation away from the madness of Waikiki. We always enjoy the restaurant in Kaneohe. Enjoy it for what it is and you will not find a more beautiful beach ANYWHERE! Isn't that why you go to Hawaii??? I'm counting the months until my next visit in 2011.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JR4733
Reviewed May 30, 2010

For what this is, I love it ... lots of space inside and out. Relatively quiet unless you get rude neighbors. LOVE the sound of waking up to hearing the ocean crashing on the rocks. No smoking in the cabins or within 50 feet of any building on base...a huge benefit for us non-smokers!

Don't think of this as a cheap hotel...think of it with camping with "luxuries" like high-speed internet, running water, a safe, and best of all, a real kitchen (full size refrig, plus range/oven, micro and coffeemaker).

It can be hit or miss with the front office staff. One lady in particular is not friendly but we didn't have to talk to her this time. Last time, we had to deal with her a few times and it was always unpleasant, to the point of being comical.

We had a "renovated" cabin but nevertheless the frig was rusted, one of the windows wouldn't close (ground level, a little disconcerting), and the beds aren't comfortable. The internet connection can be a bit sporadic (though it is high-speed, fortunately).

Bugs WILL come into your room. Don't leave any food out...bring some Ziploc bags and/or plastic containers and/or put everything in the frig. We even put a bag in the freezer to use for trash. Once I managed to leave one grain of rice in the sink after washing dishes, and it attracted lots of little bugs overnight.

All that said, this is one of my favorite vacation spots.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank aloha-mikala
Reviewed May 13, 2010

The cabins are run-down little shacks that aren't very comfortable even for government property. But that's okay. I could get over that. The staff at the hotel is absolutely atrocious. I really don't see how they haven't been fired yet. Rude and incompetent, I think they themselves would rather you not stay there. The reservations staff is the epitome of ill-mannered. I stayed there once before, and had a bad experience with them, but I decided the beach is worth giving them a second chance. I tried several times to call them on the phone, and sat on hold for over an hour each time before giving up. I drove to the reservations office myself one afternoon, and the woman at the front desk gave me a curt "no" before I even finished giving her the dates I wanted to reserve my room. I will guarantee that if I go over there myself during that weekend, I'll see tons of open cabins and campsites.

The beach is beautiful and well-maintained, however. I would recommend that part of it. Just don't talk to anybody who works there, especially the ladies at the front desk.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank kbai
Reviewed April 17, 2010

First off let me say that Bellows Beach is one of the most beautiful areas in Hawaii and its a wonderful place to spend a day, just don't make the mistake of staying in one of their so call renovated beach cabins unless you enjoy insects and end up getting bitten by one of Hawaii's notorious tropical Centipede's (which I did). Our cabin and the one next to us was infested with newly hatched baby Centiped's which pack a bite 3 times as painful as a wasp, and when I showed the cleaning lady the next morning one of them she said I was lucky that they were just baby's that bit me, she then took us outside the front of our cabin where she lifted up a couple flat piece of stone and underneath one of them was a full grown one that was about 8" long and as round as my little finger (If you want To look at one do a web search by typing in Hawaii's Centiped's), that was enough for us and the people next door to see because we both ended up getting our money back and luckly found rooms at the Hale Koa for the remainder of our vacations.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank DroopyDrawers1
Reviewed March 1, 2010

This was our fourth year in a row at Bellows. It is rustic and accomodations are more like camping than a hotel. If you want top-notch maid service and luxury, this is not the place for you. It is a peaceful, natural environment, centrally located to all of Oahu. That being said: the VALUE can not be beat, staff has always been friendly, and ----the beach is breath-taking and amazing. Never crowded, beautiful scenic views of clear torquoise water surrounded by green mountains. Bikes, chairs, kayaks, etc are all available for small fees. There is a free breakfast every Thursday morning.

This is the windward side of the island so it can be breezy at times....this wind keeps bugs at bay and makes an air conditioner obsolete. Weather in Hawaii is always unpredictable and ever-changing. On occasions when it was too breezy at Bellows, a half hour trip took us to a new weather experience at a different beach.

Cottages are always being renovated. You get what they assign you. However, none is more than twenty steps from the ocean. We have never had an issue with bugs/mice and only have witnessed an occasional friendly gecko.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple